Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 11:31 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Industry's first knee coolers. CR is sure to point this out in a few months.
Old 05-17-15, 12:59 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice evolution overall, except for one glaring mistake. It has an electronic e-brake! Blasphemy in a rear wheel drive sports/muscle car. That's going to **** a lot of performance drivers off who may want to drift and such. And yeah, the vents are too low. You'll have to have them pointed all the way up to cool your face.
Old 05-18-15, 03:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 05-18-15, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Very nice evolution overall, except for one glaring mistake. It has an electronic e-brake! Blasphemy in a rear wheel drive sports/muscle car. That's going to **** a lot of performance drivers off who may want to drift and such. And yeah, the vents are too low. You'll have to have them pointed all the way up to cool your face.
More and more cars are getting E-brakes these days....not just upmarket cars, even in some low-to-medium priced models. Part of that has nothing to do with drifting.......it helps free up more space on the console for all the stuff people what to carry around today....cellphones, corded devices, coffee cup-holders, etc......

It also makes life a little simpler for the technician........manually-operated emergency brakes, unlike the rear brakes themselves, are not typically self-adjusting. With wear on the rear brake pads/shoes, the handle will get looser and pull up with more and more clicks before taking hold. The technician sometimes needs to periodically adjust the brake linkage to the proper number of clicks....usually two or three. E-brakes, of course, automatically engage or disengage no matter how much wear is on the pads.
Old 05-18-15, 04:47 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's only blasphemy if you don't know how to drive or if your car is under-powered. Pulling the parking brake on a rwd V8 muscle car is nonsense when all you have to do is toss the car and apply throttle.. And drifters modify the parking brakes on the rear because the stock setup is not up to the task, anyway.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-18-15 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 04:50 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Eh, nothing special done here. The front and rear are slightly modernized, but the side profile looks just like the current retro boat. GM had another chance to enter into contemporary sports car territory with a credible nameplate, but decided to cling to the past. This fuddy-duddy mentality is the core thing holding the company back in overall sales. At least they got rid of the toyish gauge tubes.
You realize this has a new engine, transmission, and is riding on a new chassis platform(went from Zeta to Alpha), right?
Old 05-18-15, 04:58 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice evolution overall, except for one glaring mistake. It has an electronic e-brake! Blasphemy in a rear wheel drive sports/muscle car.
blah, who cares.....very very tiny % of buyers would care IMO....C7 has EEB and I could care less.
Old 05-18-15, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NickTee
It's only blasphemy if you don't know how to drive or if your car is under-powered. Pulling the parking brake on a rwd V8 muscle car is nonsense when all you have to do is toss the car and apply throttle.. And drifters modify the parking brakes on the rear because the stock setup is not up to the task, anyway.
Drifting, of course, is not only quite risky on public roads, but, if the road surface doesn't have some slickness to it and allow some slip, places great stress not only on the rear tires but other components like rear wheel bearings, RWD differentials/axles, U-joints, etc.....
Old 05-18-15, 05:35 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Drifting, of course, is not only quite risky on public roads, but, if the road surface doesn't have some slickness to it and allow some slip, places great stress not only on the rear tires but other components like rear wheel bearings, RWD differentials/axles, U-joints, etc.....
A pothole puts great stress on all of those components, too. What's your point?
Old 05-18-15, 06:19 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A hot lap in the all-new 2016 #CamaroSix. We must be crazy, and Dennis Pittsenbarger must be lucky. Hear him talk about what's new in the 2016 Camaro.

We were the first to drive (and crash) the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro. Click below for more details:http://jalopnik.com/i-was-the-first-...=1431966444367
Old 05-18-15, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NickTee
A pothole puts great stress on all of those components, too. What's your point?
Yes, potholes also cause stress, but the difference is that they are something a driver usually can't do much about.....though some of them can be avoided if you watch the road carefully in front of you and steer accordingly.

I'm not necessarily against drifting if it is done in the proper place, under the proper conditions. But, IMO, a public road, on hard dry pavement, is not one of them.
Old 05-19-15, 09:21 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, potholes also cause stress, but the difference is that they are something a driver usually can't do much about.....though some of them can be avoided if you watch the road carefully in front of you and steer accordingly.

I'm not necessarily against drifting if it is done in the proper place, under the proper conditions. But, IMO, a public road, on hard dry pavement, is not one of them.
And who said anything about doing it on public roads?
Old 05-19-15, 05:45 PM
Robles84
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same garbage. ..look at me I have a camaro ss I'm cool
same **** over and over.
mustang gt is always going to be faster because of the weight then camaro ss and dodge srt.
Why do we even talk about it? Same since the 60s
Old 05-19-15, 08:24 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Robles84
Same garbage. ..look at me I have a camaro ss I'm cool
same **** over and over.
mustang gt is always going to be faster because of the weight then camaro ss and dodge srt.
Why do we even talk about it? Same since the 60s
You definitely sound like an expert. "look at me I have a [VIP project] I'm cool."

Last edited by NickTee; 05-19-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 06:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

weight probably will equalize with what the 15 GT is now. Camaro was always around 200# heavier. They made the car have less headroom and less backseat space, people arent going to like that. Motor Trend said headroom went down from 37.4" to 36.6"

blue outline is the 15 Camaro

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-20-15 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro