Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan killing its strangest model

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

so many of you talk crap but have never seen one, never driven one, and have no idea what it drives like. A neighbor has one and I think it cool because its unique and very very rare. A friend of mine actually rented one while we visited LA and it was cool for cruising the beach and even allowed us the ability to take it down on to the sand at Malibu and chill on the beach. We also took it up to Mt Wilson and were able to enjoy the LA weather all the way to the top and then had plenty of room for all the stuff we lugged up there to party with. It turned more heads than my LS460 on 22s or my ISF. Not saying it sexy but its different and allows you to have a little of it all and it will turn some heads ( good or bad ).
Old 07-16-14, 01:15 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
AWD and/or SUV-based convertibles have traditionally been a hard sell, and have not done well (the ill-fated Suzuki X90, for you who remember it, is another good example). That's because convertibles, in general (soft-top models more so than retractible hardtops), are designed primarily for fair-weather driving...not the kind of conditions where AWD would usually come into play. In addition, convertibles, in general, have more body/cowl flex than other types of vehicles, which can be a detriment when off-roading. Even Audi Quattro sedan-based cabriolets have not done particularly well.

I myself am of the belief that there's nothing necessarily wrong with a vehicle that can adapt to both sunny and wintry conditions as needed, but the general market hasn't always seen it that way.
Then please explain the Wrangler.

I'm pretty sure NO ONE is looking to off road in the Murano, let alone the Murano Cross Cabriolet.

Murano was simply an answer to a question that no one was asking.
Old 07-16-14, 01:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
so many of you talk crap but have never seen one, never driven one, and have no idea what it drives like. A neighbor has one and I think it cool because its unique and very very rare. A friend of mine actually rented one while we visited LA and it was cool for cruising the beach and even allowed us the ability to take it down on to the sand at Malibu and chill on the beach. We also took it up to Mt Wilson and were able to enjoy the LA weather all the way to the top and then had plenty of room for all the stuff we lugged up there to party with. It turned more heads than my LS460 on 22s or my ISF. Not saying it sexy but its different and allows you to have a little of it all and it will turn some heads ( good or bad ).
I have seen and driven one. And "turning heads" isn't always a good thing. They're likely pointing and laughing.
Old 07-16-14, 01:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so many of you talk crap but have never seen one, never driven one, and have no idea what it drives like.
I've seen and driven it.

And hated it. Here was my review from when it came out:

When looking at its size and proportion, angles and curves, color and shape -- it's a huge ugly mess.

There was no redemption. It couldn't be saved with a "It looks better in person" compliment.

Hideous.

Blind people would shriek in disgust upon touching it.

I wanted to punch random people. I lost hope for humanity tonight.
Old 07-16-14, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Then please explain the Wrangler.
The Wrangler is not really a convertible per se. From its earliest roots in 1941 as a military vehicle, it was designed as essentially an open-top vehicle that various types of primitive fabric covers were added to....but not for typical convertible use or fun-in-the-sun as we think of the term today. Even today, the "hardtop" Wranglers, except for the relatively recent 4-door model, are essentially open-top models with bolt-on or graft-on hard tops.

I'm pretty sure NO ONE is looking to off road in the Murano, let alone the Murano Cross Cabriolet.
While probably not zero%, I agree that not many Murano owners actually go off-road, but, like most unibody AWD SUVs, it is capable of some light-duty off-road operations if needed.

Murano was simply an answer to a question that no one was asking.
So were a number of other small-to-medium sized SUVs with controversial styling. Wecome to the club.
Old 07-16-14, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

No need to overthink this news. The CrossCabriolet was an oddball design without much of a future from the get-go. It had a run and now is going away.

Kudos to Nissan for giving it a try.
Old 07-16-14, 04:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I just saw one yesterday. I actually didn't think it looked bad, but I would never buy one.
Old 07-16-14, 05:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Wrangler is not really a convertible per se. From its earliest roots in 1941 as a military vehicle, it was designed as essentially an open-top vehicle that various types of primitive fabric covers were added to....but not for typical convertible use or fun-in-the-sun as we think of the term today. Even today, the "hardtop" Wranglers, except for the relatively recent 4-door model, are essentially open-top models with bolt-on or graft-on hard tops.
I know what the original intent of the Wrangler was, but you'd be wrong to suggest that the Wrangler isn't seen as a convertible in today's market. And that in today's world, the Wrangler is indeed intended for "typical convertible use/fun-in-the-sun." Hence the high number of them for use as rental vehicles in Hawaii, and for nearly everyone in California that owns them.

Yes it still is one of the most capable and rugged off-road vehicles on the market, but it's also happens to be a convertible.
Old 07-16-14, 05:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I've seen one too. 47 thousand was a ridiculous asking price for such a monstrosity. That said, I think the Aztec still takes the cake
Old 07-16-14, 06:02 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 201 Likes on 155 Posts

All I can say is my father-in-law loves his. We looked and looked, and there were no other convertibles (at least not <$100k) capable of seating 4 real-sized adults. That it's incredibly comfortable, roomier than the RX, and rides very smooth and quiet was icing on the cake.
Old 07-16-14, 06:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What a hideous car.... what were they thinking?
Old 07-16-14, 08:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I read that this was something Carlos Ghosn insisted on and most other product planners disagreed with. I also read that the chassis flex was bad, so not only was it an ugly convertible it didn't drive well either. Also, I think the storage space was compromised. No redeeming values = DOA.

I think the idea was great (roomy convertible with lots of space) but the execution was beyond poor.
Old 07-16-14, 11:51 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this really has to make u wonder if the standards of competency are measured appropriately.

this clearly proves that just because a marketing team has the educational qualifications, they could easily be very, VERY out of focus in their profession.
Old 07-17-14, 04:01 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
This car was "Huh?" from the day it was announced. Who was the genius who thought it up in the first place? They should have laughed that person out of the boardroom that very moment because this thing should never have been.
I remember reading somewhere that it was actually Ghosn's wife.
Old 07-17-14, 06:02 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove & liked one of the 1st Murano's in LA. Few years later I saw 6 new Droptop Moron'o's lined up at a pressfleet warehouse. I had to look several times to verify I was seeing what I thought it was. I knew better than to get any closer because it would be very difficult to not criticise them in front of clients!

Quick Reply: Nissan killing its strangest model