Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan killing its strangest model

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 07:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I drove & liked one of the 1st Murano's in LA. Few years later I saw 6 new Droptop Moron'o's lined up at a pressfleet warehouse. I had to look several times to verify I was seeing what I thought it was. I knew better than to get any closer because it would be very difficult to not criticise them in front of clients!
And THAT is a sight you can't "unsee".
Old 07-17-14, 07:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank Ghosn for its existence...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-drive-reviews
Old 07-17-14, 08:00 PM
LexFather

The funny thing is I've seen maybe 3 or 4 around and it never seemed like a production car but like something done by that MTV show with Xhibit.....

Old 07-17-14, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I know what the original intent of the Wrangler was, but you'd be wrong to suggest that the Wrangler isn't seen as a convertible in today's market. And that in today's world, the Wrangler is indeed intended for "typical convertible use/fun-in-the-sun." Hence the high number of them for use as rental vehicles in Hawaii, and for nearly everyone in California that owns them.

Yes it still is one of the most capable and rugged off-road vehicles on the market, but it's also happens to be a convertible.
OK...it's not my definition of a convertible, but I'll respect your opinion on it.

Anyhow, the Wrangler also does not have a AWD system in the modern accepted sense of the term. It uses Jeep's Command-Trac, an ancient part-time 4X4 system that locks up all four wheels at the same rotation speed without a center-differential. Modern AWD systems, like Jeep's Select-Trac and Quadra-Trac, allow each wheel to rotate independent of the others, so it can be used on dry pavement. Part-time 4X4 can't. And that was the original topic of this thread.....the Murano Cabriolet, and why it didn't sell.

There have been many calls to Jeep management, BTW, to give the Wrangler a more modern and flexible AWD system like the rest of the Jeep family,, but they have (mostly) fallen on deaf ears.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-17-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-18-14, 12:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I know what the original intent of the Wrangler was, but you'd be wrong to suggest that the Wrangler isn't seen as a convertible in today's market. And that in today's world, the Wrangler is indeed intended for "typical convertible use/fun-in-the-sun." Hence the high number of them for use as rental vehicles in Hawaii, and for nearly everyone in California that owns them.

Yes it still is one of the most capable and rugged off-road vehicles on the market, but it's also happens to be a convertible.
I think I am going to have to agree with mmarshall, the Jeep Wrangler is not a convertible. An open top, or open top removal is what it really is.
Old 07-18-14, 01:11 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ The Wrangler IS A CONVERTIBLE. I almost bought one just for the fun of driving around with no top/no doors. Just could not pull the trigger considering how expensive they are used, unless you want one with those stupid square headlights. Older CJ7's and such are now "collectible" and nice, restored ones aren't cheap.

Anyways, back on topic to the Murano, it seems like one of those "we were forced by the CEO/executive management to build it" type of cars. I live smack in the middle of Nissan country, Nashville TN. The factory and USA headquarters are here, and I have seen exactly ONE of these in person, and I know they've been in production for a couple model years. I don't get why Carlos Ghoson can't be cool like Ferdinand Piech. That man decreed his company must build a car in excess of 1,000hp and a top speed of better than 400km/h back in the late 90's.
Old 07-18-14, 06:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ The Wrangler IS A CONVERTIBLE. I almost bought one just for the fun of driving around with no top/no doors. Just could not pull the trigger considering how expensive they are used, unless you want one with those stupid square headlights. Older CJ7's and such are now "collectible" and nice, restored ones aren't cheap.
What you did was to buy a purpose-designed open-top vehicle and USE it as a convertible. In that sense, I'll partly agree with you.

I don't get why Carlos Ghoson can't be cool like Ferdinand Piech. That man decreed his company must build a car in excess of 1,000hp and a top speed of better than 400km/h back in the late 90's.

How many people actually BUY a Bugatti Veyron? All of its well-known speed and glamor has done little or nothing for VW's bottom line. Ghosn, in contrast, as a marketer, took that same development money and put it into everyday products that the average car-buying Joe can afford.

Anyways, back on topic to the Murano, it seems like one of those "we were forced by the CEO/executive management to build it" type of cars. I live smack in the middle of Nissan country, Nashville TN. The factory and USA headquarters are here, and I have seen exactly ONE of these in person, and I know they've been in production for a couple model years.

For some reason, many Americans in the Midwest and South simply don't realize that many foreign-badged vehicles are actually built right here in their own backyard. My late uncle, in Indiana, used to hound people for being "Un-American" for buying Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus.....until I quietly pointed out to him that Subarus were built right there in Lafayette, Indiana, Hondas were built next door in Ohio, and Toyotas built right next door in Kentucky. He was strangely quiet after that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-18-14 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 07:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you did was to buy a purpose-designed open-top vehicle and USE it as a convertible. In that sense, I'll partly agree with you.

How many people actually BUY a Bugatti Veyron? All of its well-known speed and glamor has done little or nothing for VW's bottom line. Ghosn, in contrast, as a marketer, took that same development money and put it into everyday products that the average car-buying Joe can afford.

[/B]

For some reason, many Americans in the Midwest and South simply don't realize that many foreign-badged vehicles are actually built right here in their own backyard. My late uncle, in Indiana, used to hound people for being "Un-American" for buying Hondas, Toyotas, and Subarus.....until I quietly pointed out to him that Subarus were built right there in Lafayette, Indiana, Hondas were built next door in Ohio, and Toyotas built right next door in Kentucky. He was strangely quiet after that.
Oh, I don't think this is confined to just the midwest and south. It might make for good stereotyping, but I'm sure there are folks all over the good old USA with this misunderstanding.
Old 07-19-14, 07:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Now that Nissan is pulling the plug on this, I saw my first one on the road yesterday with the top down. The proportions are just too odd.