Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Generation Toyota Prius To Go Li-Ion, Might Get All-Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 07:33 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Next Generation Toyota Prius To Go Li-Ion, Might Get All-Wheel Drive

You may be able to save the polar bears while driving alongside polar bears

When the next-generation Toyota Prius comes to market sometime in 2016 after delays, you will have a choice of battery pack and possibly two driveline options.

Speaking with Automotive News at Toyota’s world headquarters, Koei Saga, senior managing officer in charge of powertrain development said a low-cost nickel-metal hydride battery will be the base storage option with a lithium ion battery pack available as well.

This will be the first time the Prius is available with lithium ion electricity storage. There were no details available on the benefit of the lithium ion pack over its cheaper counterpart, though longer all-electric range and weight savings are likely.

Also, Toyota is considering giving the next-generation Prius all-wheel drive.
“I think we will possibly do it,” said Saga.
Source: Autos.ca

Of course, these are all rumours until the real car and real specs are introduced some time next year.
Old 07-15-14, 07:39 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its a mistake for Toyota to give customers the option of "battery pack". It's going to make the buying process more complicated for them than it needs to be. If there is a difference of MPG between the lithium-ion and nickel metal hydride batteries, then they could offer the two different models based on if you want to spend more and get more MPG. But if they're identical or close to identical in MPG, it's going to complicate things. Especially when the lithium-ion is clearly going to be the more expensive option.
Old 07-15-14, 07:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Especially when the lithium-ion is clearly going to be the more expensive option.
There'a a reason why lithium is relatively expensive. Though it's not something you hear a lot about in the media, much of the world's supply (though, of course, not all) comes from mines in Bolivia's Andes mountains. That means that a number of different governments and corporations in countries with lithium-ion battery production for full-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles are scrambling to make mining-contracts with the Bolivian government...and, of course, to pay for those rights.
Old 07-15-14, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I think its a mistake for Toyota to give customers the option of "battery pack". It's going to make the buying process more complicated for them than it needs to be. If there is a difference of MPG between the lithium-ion and nickel metal hydride batteries, then they could offer the two different models based on if you want to spend more and get more MPG. But if they're identical or close to identical in MPG, it's going to complicate things. Especially when the lithium-ion is clearly going to be the more expensive option.
toyota is good at differentiation so i'm sure there will be no issue. one way they'll do it is they'll offer more standard equipment on the lithium models. the car should be lighter and perhaps faster.
Old 07-15-14, 09:52 PM
LexFather

Toyota is the leader in hybrid technology and not worried about internet opinions. Obviously the most successful auto company from Japan knows what it is doing with the Prius.

Choice is good.

Old 07-15-14, 10:57 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
Toyota is the leader in hybrid technology and not worried about internet opinions.

Obviously the most successful auto company from Japan knows what it is doing with the Prius.

Choice is good.
So choice is "good", but opinions are bad. Got it.

Sometimes though having too many choices can be confusing to customers. Especially when the distinction between the two choices is unclear. The Li-Ion battery option should certainly be the loaded option and bundled with other goodies, as suggested in this thread.
Old 07-16-14, 03:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota is good at differentiation so i'm sure there will be no issue. one way they'll do it is they'll offer more standard equipment on the lithium models. the car should be lighter and perhaps faster.
article is not clear at all... quite likely lion could be for plugin hybrid as it is now, but PHEV might be more advanced model at more reasonable price.

In Japan, Prius v has 7 seat option which has lion battery between the front seats.

In NX, they said new nimh battery is 88lbs... so not much weight to be saved, maybe 40lbs? That is if they manage to cool it with air and not water... if it is water cooled then it will have more hardware than Nimh model so weight might end up being the same.

Lions can output more hp for same battery size, so they could get extra 10-15hp - but thats really not much and not something you can advertise. Usually they put slightly smaller battery with same output and lower costs.
Old 07-16-14, 01:12 PM
balMaster
Rookie

This is the first time for Prius, but not for Prius family.
Prius v in Japan has been offering li-ion since it was released.
Nickel for 5 seater and li-ion for 7 seater.
Same power and same fuel economy.

Link (in Japanese): http://toyota.jp/priusalpha/001_p_003/spec/spec/

EDIT: Oops. I was too late. It already has been mentioned above ><

Last edited by balMaster; 07-16-14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 07:15 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

This is the first time I'm hearing of a delay? 2016 now? The new Prius was slated as a 2015 model. The current one now in its 5th year being pushed to 6? I guess it's not too big of a deal considering it's the dominant hybrid. I was anxious for a new one though.
Old 07-17-14, 04:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
This is the first time I'm hearing of a delay? 2016 now? The new Prius was slated as a 2015 model. The current one now in its 5th year being pushed to 6? I guess it's not too big of a deal considering it's the dominant hybrid. I was anxious for a new one though.
from march 2015 to sept 2015 i guess, at least thats what the rumor said.
Old 07-17-14, 05:21 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by balMaster
This is the first time for Prius, but not for Prius family.
Nope, not even the first time for Prius. The Prius Plugin has been available exclusively with a 4.4 kWh Li-ion pack since its release in 2011. When my parents were briefly considering one, I pushed them towards the PHV for exactly this reason.
Old 07-18-14, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The AWD rumor would be a great additon
Old 12-15-14, 12:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next-gen Toyota Prius launch pushed back until late 2015 due to design problem

Was supposed to come out next spring

A new report indicates the launch of the next generation Prius has been delayed because a Toyota executive didn't like the original design.

The all-new Prius was originally scheduled to enter production in the spring of 2015 but now it's programmed to reach the assembly line approximately a year from now. The significant delay has to do with an unexpected redesign after Toyota's global research & development chief Mitsuhisa Kato was not satisfied with the work of chief engineer Koji Toyoshima.

Aside from the design issue, Kato mentioned other problems led to the delay but he refused to go into details. However, several months ago we heard Toyota decided to push back the launch until December 2015 to make sure all chassis and body issues are fixed.

Codenamed 690A, the new Prius will use microchips and microcontrollers tested in the TS040 HYBRID and will likely be available with both nickel-metal hydride and lithium-ion batteries, with the latter being more expensive and providing a higher range. Toyota powertrain boss Koei Saga previously stated the possibility of an optional all-wheel drive system while the thermal efficiency of the gasoline engine will be increased from 38.5 percent to more than 40 percent.

The 2016 Prius will ride on the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) and is expected to lose about 20 percent of its weight and adopt a lower center of gravity while fuel economy will be boosted between 8 to 10 percent.

A full reveal will likely occur in the first half of 2015, with production slated to kick off in Japan before the year's end.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412158...ntil-late-2015
Old 12-15-14, 12:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't all of these be under one 2015 Toyota Prius thread?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ota-prius.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-mileage.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...prius-pix.html
Old 12-15-14, 01:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

push happened in 2013, not now... It appears that it was due to all new global platform, not actual design. They are reading it wrongly from Autonews where they picked it up.... Actually Autonews had pretty good article about it.