Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Lexus NX 300h

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 02:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Rav4 and RX say hello... they started crossover craze.
Yeah the 90's called, and they still happen to have all of Toyota's innovation ideas. The market is a much more dynamic place today and Toyota/Lexus simply hasn't shown the ability to respond quickly or get things addressed in a "timely" manner as of late.
Old 07-30-14, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Lexus and Toyota have never really hurried up or pushed to get something to market. They're already way late to the compact premium crossover segment, another month isn't going to crush its marketability, people already largely know what to expect from it. And they're absent from a 3-row unibody crossover which has been successful since like 2001 with the MDX.
Agreed. Lexus has nothing to worry about and should not be trying to rush anything. Lincoln is the least of who they should be worried about.

The NX should do very well, but I must admit, I don't think the hybrid will sell all that well.
Old 07-30-14, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Agreed. Lexus has nothing to worry about and should not be trying to rush anything. Lincoln is the least of who they should be worried about.

The NX should do very well, but I must admit, I don't think the hybrid will sell all that well.
Lexus doesn't plan the Hybrid to sell in droves (it will be expensive). It's more an exercise to add another Hybrid to the stable. Lexus fully expects the 200t to be the bread winner.
Old 07-30-14, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah the 90's called, and they still happen to have all of Toyota's innovation ideas. The market is a much more dynamic place today and Toyota/Lexus simply hasn't shown the ability to respond quickly or get things addressed in a "timely" manner as of late.
yes, thats why their profits are at highest in their history and why they are launching first real production hydrogen vehicle in 3 months.

On the contre, late 90's were worst years in Toyota's history, something we realized 10+ years later.
Old 07-30-14, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus doesn't plan the Hybrid to sell in droves (it will be expensive). It's more an exercise to add another Hybrid to the stable. Lexus fully expects the 200t to be the bread winner.
In US... in Australia, hybrid is cheaper... In Europe too, but it is likely due to Turbo having much higher taxes. Wonderfully weird world of manufacturers pricing vehicles according to market and competitors and not production price :-)
Old 07-30-14, 03:47 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

yes, thats why their profits are at highest in their history and why they are launching first real production hydrogen vehicle in 3 months.

On the contre, late 90's were worst years in Toyota's history, something we realized 10+ years later.
Profits are high because the volumes are high (rising tides lift all ships) and they've been sitting on platforms and engine architectures for a while now.

Too bad Hyundai beat them to market with a fuel cell.
Old 07-30-14, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689

Profits are high because the volumes are high (rising tides lift all ships) and they've been sitting on platforms and engine architectures for a while now.

The Fuel Cell Tucson is cute, but too bad for them I trust Toyota more than Hyundai
Old 07-30-14, 06:28 PM
Hoovey689

Hybrids may not be the answer but they do add depth to the Lexus line

Old 07-30-14, 06:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Volumes are high because the product sells, and it sells at great margins, despite biggest R&D budget in the world.

As to Hyundai, Toyota started limited leases back in 2002, Honda back in 2007 and Hyundai started in 2014... they will lease only 1000 vehicles worldwide, you cant own them.

Toyota FCV is next generation product that has all the "problems" solved, unlike previous ones from Toyota/Honda or Hyundai (or BMW, MB, GM). Means much lighter than before, much better performance and regular production costs for the price. And yes, you will be able to buy it and own it, just like any other vehicle... it is 1997 all over again and new Prius is coming.
Old 07-30-14, 08:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Toyota FCV is next generation product that has all the "problems" solved, unlike previous ones from Toyota/Honda or Hyundai (or BMW, MB, GM). Means much lighter than before, much better performance and regular production costs for the price. And yes, you will be able to buy it and own it, just like any other vehicle... it is 1997 all over again and new Prius is coming.
The FCV (and I've driven it) is far from something that has "all the problems solved." Stop kidding yourself.
Old 07-31-14, 06:10 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Lexus NX F SPORT Body Kit by Modellista Japan

Official Lexus tuner Modellista has released images of their new NX body kit.

The body kit consists of a front under spoiler, side skirts, and a rear diffuser with a design that changes depending on the NX 200t or NX 300h. A rear spoiler add-on and 19-inch aluminum wheels are also available.

Modellista has also put out some beauty shots of the new body kit.

When it’s released in Japan, the full Modellista body kit will retail for Ą305,640 ($2,970 USD) for the NX 200t and Ą221,400 ($2,150 USD) of the NX 300h. The rear spoiler add-on will be Ą27,000 ($260 USD), with the 19-inch wheel set costing Ą388,800 ($3,780 USD).
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/07/3...ellista-japan/
Old 07-31-14, 01:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Tacky, yuck.
Old 07-31-14, 02:39 PM
LexFather

Lexus and Toyota have never really hurried up or pushed to get something to market. They're already way late to the compact premium crossover segment, another month isn't going to crush its marketability, people already largely know what to expect from it. And they're absent from a 3-row unibody crossover which has been successful since like 2001 with the MDX.
Are you seriously giving credit to Acura who came late after the RX, who innovated nothing? They added a 3rd row and that is genius? Are you serious right now?

The RX is the 500lbs GORILLA, selling more than all their SUVs combined. Lexus obviously has a successful formula other brands don't even fight head on. Most are bigger or smaller than the RX outside maybe the SRX. It's not easy to just add a model when one model is pleasing everyone. Obviously they also wanted to debut the new turbo and hybrid with the car and some new tech like wireless charging.

The RDX was early, and they did it wrong. The second gen is a joke, especially compared to the NX. You are clapping for them?

So now you are clapping for Hyundai? The RX 400h was the worlds first luxury SUV hybrid, one copied today. Profits are due to a number of factors not just sharing platforms. The yen's more favorable rate is the biggest factor, heck Mazda is pulling in record profits.

I honestly am completely lost at the constant negatively toward Lexus on a Lexus forum. Its puzzling and sadly noticed.

Old 07-31-14, 03:18 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
Are you seriously giving credit to Acura who came late after the RX, who innovated nothing? They added a 3rd row and that is genius? Are you serious right now?

The RX is the 500lbs GORILLA, selling more than all their SUVs combined. Lexus obviously has a successful formula other brands don't even fight head on. Most are bigger or smaller than the RX outside maybe the SRX. It's not easy to just add a model when one model is pleasing everyone. Obviously they also wanted to debut the new turbo and hybrid with the car and some new tech like wireless charging.

The RDX was early, and they did it wrong. The second gen is a joke, especially compared to the NX. You are clapping for them?

So now you are clapping for Hyundai? The RX 400h was the worlds first luxury SUV hybrid, one copied today. Profits are due to a number of factors not just sharing platforms. The yen's more favorable rate is the biggest factor, heck Mazda is pulling in record profits.

I honestly am completely lost at the constant negatively toward Lexus on a Lexus forum. Its puzzling and sadly noticed.
I didn't say the MDX invented the CUV market, I'm saying they've offered a 3 row for a long time, and they've done well with it. Yes the RX still outsells it, but there is a large demand for 3 row unibody crossovers. Is that something you disagree with??

The 2nd gen RDX may be a "joke" to you, but it is selling quite well. And actually, while the RX outsold the MDX/RDX in 2013, through the first half of 2014, the RDX and MDX are now above the RX. Of course, the NX will presumably boost it back above Acura.

That's great that RXh was the first hybrid luxury CUV to market. I have no doubt we'll see more.

I'm not "clapping" for any particular brand. I just can acknowledge when others push the envelope or offer things that others don't.

Yes this is a Lexus forum, but this is CAR CHAT. There was a time when people here were able to have a semi open mind about any brand and could talk about other car companies. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed participating here. But now it seems to be overtaken by any sort of remark challenging the supreme goodness and absolute perfection that is Toyota Motor Corp is now seen as sacrilegious. I guess that's what happens when the competition has ramped up and can actually be a threat.

Toyota/Lexus still excels in manufacturing, that's their forte. They also do a great job in overall vehicle system integration/operation. But they're missing the boat on things the market is asking for. Especially in terms of luxury custom build, dynamics, and to some extent safety and features. But that's more for the Future of Lexus discussion thread, not this NX thread.
Old 08-01-14, 10:53 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus & will.i.am teaming up for an NX special edition

The latest in a long line of celebrity special editions

Lexus has announced plans to team up with will.i.am to create a limited edition 2015 NX.

Little is known about the model but Lexus says Grammy Award winning singer "will design his own limited edition interpretation" of the entry-level crossover. The partnership will also see the signer star in a Striking Angles campaign that will help promote the model.

In a statement, will.i.am said "Whatever I do, I want it to be striking. I want to innovate and revolutionize, and my partnership with Lexus on the Striking Angles campaign is no different. Inspired by our shared philosophy in design, we’ve been able to work together on a multi-faceted campaign that will challenge design conventions and fuel people’s imaginations.”
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408017...pecial-edition

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2015 Lexus NX 300h