Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Lexus NX 300h

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 10:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Lexus NX F SPORT Video from Japan

The Lexus Japan website has been updated to include the NX crossover, and this F SPORT driving video is part of the new marketing:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/07/3...t-video-japan/
Old 08-01-14, 11:20 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pbm317
I didn't say the MDX invented the CUV market, I'm saying they've offered a 3 row for a long time, and they've done well with it. Yes the RX still outsells it, but there is a large demand for 3 row unibody crossovers. Is that something you disagree with?? .
Clearly a 3 row unibody has its buyers. You are making it sound like the RX is some awful product and the MDX is some amazing product because they copied the RX and added a third row. They didn't exactly reinvent the wheel compared to what the RX has done twice. If a vehicle's claim to fame is adding a third row, that is pretty sad.

Clearly the GX/LX have been around since 1997/2004 or so respectively but are not unibody.

The 2nd gen RDX may be a "joke" to you, but it is selling quite well. And actually, while the RX outsold the MDX/RDX in 2013, through the first half of 2014, the RDX and MDX are now above the RX. Of course, the NX will presumably boost it back above Acura. .
Odd b/c when Lexus sold well, people stated sales didn't matter but being sporty does. Acura debuts by far the least luxurious, blandest, least sporty vehicle with the least tech and its amazing because it sells. No doubt kudos to them but they are only fooling themselves as the buyers who think its a luxury vehicle. Sales are now going down and they will plummet when the NX arrives and the MKC. The only reason one would get a RDX over a NX is if they truly hate the styling and they want a vehicle that is basically a worse version of the 2004 RX 330.

That's great that RXh was the first hybrid luxury CUV to market. I have no doubt we'll see more.

II'm not "clapping" for any particular brand. I just can acknowledge when others push the envelope or offer things that others don't.

Yes this is a Lexus forum, but this is CAR CHAT. There was a time when people here were able to have a semi open mind about any brand and could talk about other car companies. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed participating here. But now it seems to be overtaken by any sort of remark challenging the supreme goodness and absolute perfection that is Toyota Motor Corp is now seen as sacrilegious. I guess that's what happens when the competition has ramped up and can actually be a threat.

Toyota/Lexus still excels in manufacturing, that's their forte. They also do a great job in overall vehicle system integration/operation. But they're missing the boat on things the market is asking for. Especially in terms of luxury custom build, dynamics, and to some extent safety and features. But that's more for the Future of Lexus discussion thread, not this NX thread.
Oddly a ton of Lexus owners/enthusiasts etc see CAR CHAT as completely contrary to your opinion, a forum I did help create so I'm quite aware of its purpose. I don't think taking up for Lexus on a Lexus forum is a bad thing at all, it should be expected no? No one is badgering contrary opinions, just trying to seek to understand why a Lexus is being berated and the competition is being put on a pedestal? I guess i don't understand downplaying the RX and its accomplishments and then on the other hand clapping for the MDX and a Hyundai fuel cell vehicle. Kind of odd.

Lexus needs more customization and they are working on that. Not sure why dynamics are mentioned when it seems all the new generation cars are near class leading in dynamics. Lexus safety and features continue to be some of the best around. Really confused here but I guess that is your opinion on Lexus which I accept and will move on.

Old 08-01-14, 11:30 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Below are US sales. I still don't understand why one would combine MDX and RDX sales together and compare them to one Lexus CUV.

Lexus RX
2002: 72,963
2003: 92,366
2004: 106,531
2005: 108,775
2006: 108,348
2007: 103,340
2008: 84,181
2009: 93,379
2010: 95,790
2011: 82,595
2012: 95,381
2013: 103,920
2014: 47,264 (YTD)

Acura MDX
2002: 52,955
2003: 57,281
2004: 59,505
2005: 57,948
2006: 54,121
2007: 58,606
2008: 45,377
2009: 31,178
2010: 47,210
2011: 43,271
2012: 50,854
2013: 53,040
2014: 36,947 (YTD)

Acura RDX
2006: 9164
2007: 23,356
2008: 15,845
2009: 10,153
2010: 14,975
2011: 15,196
2012: 29,520
2013: 44,750
2014: 25,881 (YTD)
Old 08-01-14, 11:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Below are US sales. I still don't understand why one would combine MDX and RDX sales together and compare them to one Lexus CUV.
)
Par the course here.... thank you for taking the time to post the sales results

Old 08-01-14, 11:47 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Anytime LexFather
Old 08-01-14, 12:28 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope I like the front end of the NX in person. Really want my sister to get in one. The car looks just a tad awkward in pics to me...like it has its pants up too high. It's really just all that surface under the headlights.
Old 08-05-14, 06:29 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Will.I.Am Promotes New Lexus NX in Europe, Will Design Limited Edition Model [w/Videos]

Lexus Europe announced a partnership with founding member of The Black Eyed Peas and car enthusiast will.i.am. The musician will be working with the brand to promote its “provocative design and technology” as part of its Striking Angles campaign to launch the new Lexus NX.

Lexus says the collaboration will encompass the worlds of music, design and technology. As part of the overall campaign, will.i.am will design his own limited edition take on the NX and will also star in the brand’s latest television commercial, set to be released later this year.

“Whatever I do I want it to be striking, I want to innovate and revolutionize and my partnership with Lexus on the Striking Angles campaign is no different. Inspired by a shared philosophy in design, we’ve been able to work together on a multi-faceted campaign that will challenge design conventions and fuel people’s imaginations,” will.i.am said.

To kick off the partnership, Lexus has released a short collaboration film featuring the singer and songwriter, which brings to life his track “Dreaming about the Future”, first debuted as part of will.i.am’s Pyramidi installation at the Barbican’s Digital Revolution exhibition in London.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/wil...in-europe.html
Old 08-05-14, 07:18 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Video: Guided Tour of the Lexus NX

For anyone looking at purchasing a Lexus NX in the USA, this two-part video with Ming-Jou Chen of Lexus College is an excellent overview of the new crossover:

(The new door handle is a real improvement over the current design — very stylish and functional. Look forward to seeing it on other models.)

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/08/0...tour-lexus-nx/
Old 08-05-14, 09:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

good videos, but can you say 'fixed vacuous smile?'
Old 08-06-14, 11:16 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Consumer Reports' Take on the Lexus NX Crossover

While the new Lexus NX seems to be baffling quite a few automotive journos, Consumer Reports has got it all figured out.

They like the NX, but find it lacks the usual Lexus ride quality, and the space in the back is nowhere near as good as on the non-premium Toyota RAV4 it shares underpinnings with.

Obviously, a big talking point is the way it looks and just how much that contrasts with the design of the interior. It’s clear that was meant to broaden the brand’s appeal, while at the same time keeping it recognizable, which is why the interior is just so much more conservative than the outside – not in a bad way, but it does come in contrast with the razor sharp lines of the body.

Otherwise, CR sees no reason why this wouldn’t be a good buy, but it is wise to check out the competition first and then make the decision, especially if you want a V6 which the NX doesn’t offer while others do in the same size bracket.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/con...-lexus-nx.html
Old 08-06-14, 11:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have to hand it to the complete idiots over a CR for not getting the NX.

The Rav4 and NX should not ever be compared by the press, completely different category of classes that buy the vehicles. The starting price of the NX is usually way out of the price point of a Rav4 buyer. Makes no difference if the NX is Rav4 based.
Old 08-06-14, 12:25 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Sucks about the ride quality. I've been liking Consumer Reports' reviews lately.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to hand it to the complete idiots over a CR for not getting the NX.

The Rav4 and NX should not ever be compared by the press, completely different category of classes that buy the vehicles. The starting price of the NX is usually way out of the price point of a Rav4 buyer. Makes no difference if the NX is Rav4 based.
I don't get why you're upset. He seemed to be supporting the NX by saying it's NOT a gussied up RAV4. The other statements I took as more "fun facts" since it's interesting it wouldn't have the same interior space as the vehicle it shares a platform with.

Reviewers do this all the time, I don't see it as a big deal. You couldn't find a review that failed to mention the Mercedes ML/Grand Cherokee relationship when the GC debuted, for example. Or the Cayenne/Touareg...or the ES/Camry...Bentley Flying Spur/VW Phaeton...you get the point.
Old 08-06-14, 01:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Over on the NX forum, there is a thread with a lot of the reviews to date. It's safe to say that nearly all of them mention the NX/RAV4 relationship. As mentioned, it happens all of the time.
Old 08-08-14, 01:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Lexus NX enters production

Goes on sale in the United States this fall

The first 2015 Lexus NX has rolled off the assembly line at the company's Miyata plant in Japan.

Set to arrive at U.S. dealerships this fall, the model is being billed as 'mold breaker' because it is the company's first compact crossover and the first model to be offered with a turbocharged engine. Speaking of the latter, the NX 200t has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder that produces 235 bhp (175 kW) and 258 lb-ft (349 Nm) of torque.

According to Toyota Motor Kyushu President Iwao Nihashi, "People all over the world are excited about the NX. Dealers understand its potential, and they're asking us to give them as many as possible, as soon as possible... We believe the NX will sell well around the world, and that it will become a core model in the Lexus lineup." Nihashi went on to say the company has already received 6,500 preorders in Japan and this is "significantly" more than originally expected.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408087...ers-production
Old 08-22-14, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Sucks about the ride quality. I've been liking Consumer Reports' reviews lately.
Although modern chassis engineering helps to some extent, poorer ride comfort is one of the casualties of larger wheels and low-profile tires. So, to an extent, is wheel rim//tire protection over sharp bumps/potholes.

SUV's though, tend to have taller-profile tires than regular sedans/coupes, so, more often than not, their firmer rides are found in the suspension, not tires. The suspension also tends to be stiffer to prevent excessive body-roll in these high-center-of-gravity vehicles,

I don't get why you're upset. He seemed to be supporting the NX by saying it's NOT a gussied up RAV4. The other statements I took as more "fun facts" since it's interesting it wouldn't have the same interior space as the vehicle it shares a platform with.
It's the same way with the new Lincoln MKC. Some people think it's simply a Ford Escape in a Tux, but an inspection and test-drive will quickly dispel that notion.

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2015 Lexus NX 300h