Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice for high mileage small business owner and a new purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 03:04 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for high mileage small business owner and a new purchase.

Hi everyone! I still check this forum every day even though I sold my Lexus 2007 GFM GS 350 five years ago, and look forward to reading the posts every day. Currently my business has been non stop busy, and I have been putting on about 35,000 - 45,000 miles per year on my single car. At the moment I am driving a 2014 Kia Sorento SXL 7 seater and absolutely love it. It is losing value faster then a similar Highlander/Pilot however the form, function, and feature rich content make up for it for me.

I have 40,000 miles and am debating trading it in again to lease(to keep monthly payments down) or picking up a new Accord Hybrid, something similar, or for nostalgia a used 3rd gen GS 350(as a second vehicle).

The most important factor in my decision making is safety then reliability. I'm seriously considering leasing the new gen Volvo XC90, but have zero experience with the brand. I keep rolling my cash flow back into the business, and I am sure other CL members have run into similar situations of what makes more sense, having one car or two to spread out the miles. Of course we get to deduct about 55 cents per mile, but when you only have one car you cannot write off gas etc... I just cannot seem to figure out what makes the most long term sense. I'm leaning having a very reliable sedan and then a larger SUV for the bigger work projects. I just know if I keep the kia much longer it won't be worth much, where now I am only upside down about $3000.

I either need one 7 seater SUV or one 7 seater SUV in addition to a sedan/coupe. Most jobs I can fit my gear in my car, but sometimes I need every ounce of space in the Sorento. I am a real estate and architecture photographer so some jobs require a lot of travel and gear. We also travel often to concerts and bring our bikes everywhere, so a trailer hitch is a requirement on one of the vehicles.

Thank you for any sage advice. I'm trying to make my decision soon for the 15 models with iOS CarPlay, as this will really assist me on the road. Budget would be $80,000 combined for both cars or around $50,000 if I just stick with one vehicle.
Old 07-14-14, 03:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The new Cadillac Escalade.
Old 07-14-14, 03:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not something like a Ford Transit Connect with your branding out the outside for heavy equipment days, and then an Accord Hybrid for non-equipment needed days?
Old 07-14-14, 04:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
Hi everyone! I still check this forum every day even though I sold my Lexus 2007 GFM GS 350 five years ago, and look forward to reading the posts every day. Currently my business has been non stop busy, and I have been putting on about 35,000 - 45,000 miles per year on my single car. At the moment I am driving a 2014 Kia Sorento SXL 7 seater and absolutely love it. It is losing value faster then a similar Highlander/Pilot however the form, function, and feature rich content make up for it for me.

I have 40,000 miles and am debating trading it in again to lease(to keep monthly payments down) or picking up a new Accord Hybrid, something similar, or for nostalgia a used 3rd gen GS 350(as a second vehicle).

The most important factor in my decision making is safety then reliability. I'm seriously considering leasing the new gen Volvo XC90, but have zero experience with the brand. I keep rolling my cash flow back into the business, and I am sure other CL members have run into similar situations of what makes more sense, having one car or two to spread out the miles. Of course we get to deduct about 55 cents per mile, but when you only have one car you cannot write off gas etc... I just cannot seem to figure out what makes the most long term sense. I'm leaning having a very reliable sedan and then a larger SUV for the bigger work projects. I just know if I keep the kia much longer it won't be worth much, where now I am only upside down about $3000.

I either need one 7 seater SUV or one 7 seater SUV in addition to a sedan/coupe. Most jobs I can fit my gear in my car, but sometimes I need every ounce of space in the Sorento. I am a real estate and architecture photographer so some jobs require a lot of travel and gear. We also travel often to concerts and bring our bikes everywhere, so a trailer hitch is a requirement on one of the vehicles.

Thank you for any sage advice. I'm trying to make my decision soon for the 15 models with iOS CarPlay, as this will really assist me on the road. Budget would be $80,000 combined for both cars or around $50,000 if I just stick with one vehicle.
can you wait until next year? Doesnt seem like CarPlay is shipping with any car right now.

It seems like you might want a diesel if you are doing so many miles... is 7 seats because of the 7 seats needed or just a lot of storage?
Old 07-14-14, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Using your (apparently) most important criteria, which I highlighted, I'd recommend you first look at a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It starts at 48K (just under 50K), seats 7, gets good fuel mileage for a mid-size SUV, has a good reliability record, has relatively good outward visibility, doesn't depreciate as much as some of its competitors, and can tow up to 3500 lbs. You may (?) also probably be able to take Federal/state/local tax credits if applicable, as hybrids are usually considered alternate-fuel vehicles for tax purposes. Ordinarily, being a buisness owner, you could also deduct lease payments by using your vehicle in the business, but you generally drive too many miles for a practical lease-deal....so stick to a purchase.

However, I can't really pan the Sorento. I did a full review of the latest-generation model, and was very highly impressed with its comfort, refinement, and ride-quality. You also seem to like yours.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-14-14 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 07:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...am debating ... picking up a new Accord Hybrid, something similar, ...

The most important factor in my decision making is safety then reliability.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Using your (apparently) most important criteria, which I highlighted, I'd recommend you first look at a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid. It starts at 48K (just under 50K), seats 7, gets good fuel mileage for a mid-size SUV, has a good reliability record, has relatively good outward visibility, doesn't depreciate as much as some of its competitors, and can tow up to 3500 lbs. You may (?) also probably be able to take Federal/state/local tax credits if applicable, as hybrids are usually considered alternate-fuel vehicles for tax purposes. Ordinarily, being a buisness owner, you could also deduct lease payments by using your vehicle in the business, but you generally drive too many miles for a practical lease-deal....so stick to a purchase.

However, I can't really pan the Sorento. I did a full review of the latest-generation model, and was very highly impressed with its comfort, refinement, and ride-quality. You also seem to like yours.
Why not get a Camry Hybrid instead of the Accord Hybrid? It has proven reliability, a larger trunk for your camera gear, AND the passenger-side rear seat folds down to allow pass-through of long items (lighting equipment, tripods, etc.). The Accord does not (yet) have proven reliability, especially with its totally new hybrid drivetrain, and its hybrid battery is rather large and completely blocks the rear seats, taking up more of the trunk than the Camry Hybrid and not allowing for a fold-down rear seat and pass-through.

If you want a hybrid, you can't beat Toyota.
Old 07-15-14, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Why not get a Camry Hybrid instead of the Accord Hybrid? It has proven reliability, a larger trunk for your camera gear, AND the passenger-side rear seat folds down to allow pass-through of long items (lighting equipment, tripods, etc.). The Accord does not (yet) have proven reliability, especially with its totally new hybrid drivetrain, and its hybrid battery is rather large and completely blocks the rear seats, taking up more of the trunk than the Camry Hybrid and not allowing for a fold-down rear seat and pass-through.

If you want a hybrid, you can't beat Toyota.
Camrys and Accords, though, won't seat 7.........one of his criteria. Nor can they tow a trailer carrying his bikes, which he may also need. A Highlander Hybrid would meet all of those needs.
Old 07-15-14, 07:39 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Look at a lease on an Acura MDX. I have a buddy that leases one for business, puts no money down, routinely goes over the allotted miles (although not as much as you), and in year 2 of a 3 yr lease will trade at the model change when there are incentives on new vehicles at the same monthly payment or lower. A combination of high resale value and new car incentives allow for this.

I am on my third MDX myself.
Old 07-15-14, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i can totally relate to your situation! i sometimes need the big vehicle for work (carrying lots of computer gear or photography gear) and sometimes i'd be fine with something a lot smaller and more fuel efficient. but my calcs say having two vehicles will NEVER be more cost effective.

i have an suv ('06 explorer) and while it's now 'old' it's hard to justify switching because it runs fine, it's comfortable, roomy, etc. and since it has normal wear and tear, i don't care about just throwing stuff in the back, or if i get a parking lot ding.

anyway, i've thought about (and pined for ) many vehicles and vehicle combos, but in the end, haven't made a move (expect i will in the next year though).

like you, there's also personal use of a larger vehicle, like bikes, vacations, etc. so doing the transit connect as someone suggested might be practical for work, but would be odd if taking the company logo'ed vehicle on vacation.

about your current sorrento - it may have lost value, but so would any vehicle (esp. one piling up the miles), so from a cost perspective, your best option is to keep driving it. no calculation is likely to show a scenario where trading it helps your budget.

and don't forget that having 2 vehicles means more insurance, more taxes, more maintenance, etc. few years back i had a second 'fun' vehicle - a miata, which was great. was a sad day when i had to sell it, but it was also a relief to go back to only having one vehicle to deal with.

i can feel the angst in your post of doing what you 'want' to do and trying to justify it.

if you switch to a lease on an xc90 and it's your only vehicle, you'll still be in the 55c/mi. situation (you couldn't or shouldn't put the lease through your business as it's your only vehicle and would be a red flag). on the other hand, you'll have a nice new vehicle to drive, but at the end of the lease, you're starting over.

look forward to reading what you decide to do!
Old 07-15-14, 10:12 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Camrys and Accords, though, won't seat 7.........one of his criteria. Nor can they tow a trailer carrying his bikes, which he may also need. A Highlander Hybrid would meet all of those needs.

Mike: weezer explicitly mentioned picking up a new Accord Hybrid, as can be seen from the quote above (and as I quoted in my reply to him).
Old 07-15-14, 11:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Mike: weezer explicitly mentioned picking up a new Accord Hybrid, as can be seen from the quote above (and as I quoted in my reply to him).

OK...looks to me like a choice, but, anyhow, since we've both made our input, let him decide for himself (or herself)
Old 07-15-14, 05:40 PM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent input and suggestions... thank you so much!

First to clear up a little confusion I would do the Accord hybrid, older GS, or Camry hybrid if I went for the owning/leasing two cars option. If I stick with one vehicle, it must be a 7 seater, and prefer it is a car based platform SUV.

In theory the new Highlander would have been a perfect match, except for a few issues that would drive me crazy if it was for a long term purchase.

I think it's silly that a near $50k SUV does not even offer LED tail lights as an option(I'm not sure about the hybrid, it may be on there). The cost cutting on the NAV screen, and the overall maps system for Toyota is worlds behind many other manufactures. In theory that part goes away when CarPlay roles out. As I understand it, even though many 15 models will have it, it cannot go live until iOS8 is released. There are even current aftermarket double din units that are CarPlay compatible that will just need a firmware update when iOS8 is released. This will solve map problems, weather integration, spotify etc. The Toyota infotainment is frustratingly still very far behind many others. I rely on nav and weather very much in my travels.

After endlessly browsing truecar.com last night, I was shocked to see how low the Pathfinders are selling for. Most for 6k under MSRP, with lots of incentives. I am certainly not in love with it, but it does solve my problem for the short term. Drive it for 18 months(similar to the kia) wait on reviews and reliability info for the Volvo XC90 and will have about 45,000 miles on it instead of nearly 80k on the kia. I was shocked to see even the top level trim of the pathfinder does not have Blind spot monitoring but has 4 around view cameras. The Sorento is my first vehicle with BSM, and I LOVE it. I always look, but there have been more then a few times that someone tries to sneak in at the last second, or moves over quickly from another lane.

Per everyone's advice,I am now heavily leaning towards one vehicle(a 7 seater car based SUV), and hopefully one that has a decent infotainment system. Somehow the Pathfinder infotainment is on par with Toyota, some pluses, and some negatives as well. I may have to test drive one and see what I think in person. Overall I feel Nissans build quality is no where near up to par like Toyota and Honda. If I can work a deal with a good residual(so trading it in won't be awful) and get a good amount off MSRP the Pathfinder may be the temporary way to go.

One more potential X factor is the new Sorento(based on the larger LWB Sante FE) is due to be announced in the next few months... spy pics sound promising and should have next gen infotainment.

@LexsCTJill maybe one day, but it's a body on frame, and a bit to big for my liking. Also I would feel like everyone is watching me drive it... I don't think I would ever be a cadillac Large suv guy but love many of their new sedans.

@pbm317 I have never really considered it, however I really like to also be as comfortable and safe as possible in my travels. I love all the tech gadgets and comforts of the near luxury suvs, I could see myself being miserable in one of them.

@spwolf I may wait until August-September because that is when many of the 2015's will start hitting the lots... many will have CarPlay, even if not activated yet.

@mmarshall you are as usual "the man"... lot's of sensible knowledge backed with research and actual driving impressions. I have always appreciated your advice very much. I still miss my GS in GFM, my favorite car that I have ever owned.

@Sulu, if I go two cars I would probably only consider the accord hybrid or camry hybrid. I just ten years ago would never ever allow my future self to drive a camry. Although the new cosmetic changes for next year make things a lot better.

@bitkahuna It sounds like we are in the same boat!!! If I had an 06 from day one I would trust it and feel safe. I got burned BAD on my last used purchase(an Xterra... I put almost $3000 in it in one year, and lost another 2 when I sold it) Really left a bad taste in my mouth with buying used. Agree with you on the Volvo switch, I would keep it in my name. I find it almost impossible to always accurately track my business from my personal mileage. Last year I hired someone to map shoot to shoot... probably 700 total trips and boy that was not cheap for me to do. Wish there was a better way.

Again, thanks everyone for your input!
Old 07-15-14, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The Pathfinder, in a number of ways, would certainly be a credible choice. And I personally think they did a great job on its looks, both outside and inside. The main thing that I'd advise, though, when you are test-driving one, is make to sure that you are satisfied with the (standard) CVT transmission's road manners. That's the only way that both gas and hybrid Pathfinders come now.......with the CVT. CVTs have come a long way since their introduction (they can now handle more torque and stress than they could formerly), and some of them are set up so they "shift", with several pre-set drive-belt positions, mimicking the action of a conventional automatic. But, absent that (or, in some cases, even with that) they still sometimes have "motorboating" or "rubber-band" characteristics that take some getting used to for those unfamiliar with them.

There's one (possible) fly in the ointment, though, with a Pathfinder, even if you decide you like the CVT.......long-term reliability. It's not a classically unreliable vehicle, but, according to Consumer Reports, its reliability over the years seems to have been up and down like a yo-yo....ranging from quite good to well below average. (latest reliability data for 2013 models is below average). You're warranty-covered, of course, for 3/36 on the whole vehicle and 5/60 on the drivetrain. Older CVT-equipped models from 2003-2010 get a 10/120 coverage on the CVT, but that may not apply to the newer ones.

@mmarshall you are as usual "the man"... lot's of sensible knowledge backed with research and actual driving impressions. I have always appreciated your advice very much. I still miss my GS in GFM, my favorite car that I have ever owned.
Thanks....glad it helps. There's a LOT of good people here on CAR CHAT, though. That's one reason why I myself stay with this forum.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I find it almost impossible to always accurately track my business from my personal mileage. Last year I hired someone to map shoot to shoot... probably 700 total trips and boy that was not cheap for me to do. Wish there was a better way.
i just review my calendar from time to time and put all the biz appt trips in a spreadsheet and total it. it's a pain but not THAT bad (maybe for me because many trips repeat). there's apps that use gps to track miles, even automatically, and you just add a note as to the purpose. i tried one, but didn't stick with it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-15-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 11:36 PM
LexFather

The Acura MDX also does not have rear led lights which is ridiculous since you can get them on a damn sentra.

6000 lbs GVWR = big tax breaks if used appropriately.

http://www.section179.org/section_17...eductions.html

http://www.section179.org/awesome_ve...write_off.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how...ill-2014-07-08

Last edited by LexFather; 07-15-14 at 11:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice for high mileage small business owner and a new purchase.