Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus "F" Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
An outstanding commercial.

I don't think people realize how important younger buyers are to Lexus, the older buyers are there bit the younger ones are what Lexus had to attract going forward.
Precisely. I think it works for the intended audience.
Old 07-13-14, 03:03 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're not bad, but I'm not really feeling these new commercials from Lexus. I honestly think Hyundai is making commercials that are far more effective than Lexus these days.
That and the fact that this particular commercial will be banned in Australia due to the fact that it promotes "hooning" (revving scene)

This is what I call a excellent commercial;

Last edited by yowps3; 07-13-14 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-13-14, 04:47 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

<One of my favorite ^^^^^^ Lexus commercials ever!

Back to the F commercial,, I was just watching TBS and a shortened version of the OPs youtube came on... I think it looked and worked really well. Actually like the 30 spot I just saw better than the longer version
Old 07-13-14, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

As sad as it is to say, the original buyers of Lexus are dead or dying. Lexus has been around long enough that they've established a reputation but they have to be adaptable to market which they are. The Traditional Luxury buyer is being replaced by Contemporary and Progressive Luxury buyers. The onslaught of full fledged performance models from M, AMG, RS, F, V, R/R-S and even more 'Sport' models is evidence of such a thing. If Lexus wasn't doing F and F-Sport they would not be in the same position they are today from just a few years ago. Both marques have demonstrated Lexus's commitment to capturing a younger audience and so far has proven successful. So this is a great commercial, and while it's not your father's LS400, one day these new products will be someones most cherished memories. The next round of F and F-Sport is around the corner, what an exciting time to be a part of and experience Lexus
Old 07-13-14, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

what's the difference between a brand and a marque?

about $20k
Old 07-13-14, 10:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Traditional Luxury buyer is being replaced by Contemporary and Progressive Luxury buyers.
what do 'Comtemporary' and 'Progressive' mean in this context?

The onslaught of full fledged performance models from M, AMG, RS, F, V, R/R-S and even more 'Sport' models is evidence of such a thing. If Lexus wasn't doing F and F-Sport they would not be in the same position they are today from just a few years ago.
agree totally. i don't think anyone is questioning lexus' need for f/f-sport models. the thread is about the commercial which appears to show obnoxious arrogant horny 30-40-something males in various situations with a lame sultry female voiceover talking about lust, envy, and pride. this may indeed be their target market, but i don't see lexus competitors doing anything remotely as bad. it's just not 'classy'.
Old 07-13-14, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what's the difference between a brand and a marque?

about $20k
Good one

what do 'Comtemporary' and 'Progressive' mean in this context?

agree totally. i don't think anyone is questioning lexus' need for f/f-sport models. the thread is about the commercial which appears to show obnoxious arrogant horny 30-40-something males in various situations with a lame sultry female voiceover talking about lust, envy, and pride. this may indeed be their target market, but i don't see lexus competitors doing anything remotely as bad. it's just not 'classy'.
Good question. Lexus College acknowledges three types of buyers; Traditional, Progessive and Contemporary Luxury buyers. Before I go any further I should correct my above in saying that Traditional isn't going away but rather making room for the other two. A Traditional Luxury buyer according to Lexus focuses on showing that they have "arrived" and how far they've come. Progressive Luxury buyers primary desire is to engage with others who share their tates, values and goals (sort of how everyone wants F-Sport right now). And finally Contemporary Luxury buyers who are culturally connected and know the value of time, living in the now and enjoying life on their own terms. All appreciate personal comfort and feeling pampered.

So back to the original question, I mention them because a vast majority of Lexus owners going forward are not going to be of the traditional type. So commercials like this and expansion of F and F-Sport is vital.
Old 07-13-14, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Excellent post Hoovey.

I work in market consumer research, the new buyer is exactly what a company needs to keep going strong.
These commercials should not work on the older buyers. They are for the new generation.
Old 07-13-14, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Excellent post Hoovey.

I work in market consumer research, the new buyer is exactly what a company needs to keep going strong.
These commercials should not work on the older buyers. They are for the new generation.
i don't think anyone is questioning lexus' need for f/f-sport models. the thread is about the commercial which appears to show obnoxious arrogant horny 30-40-something males in various situations with a lame sultry female voiceover talking about lust, envy, and pride. this may indeed be their target market, but i don't see lexus competitors doing anything remotely as bad. it's just not 'classy'.
Actually, in this case, bitkahuna has nailed it. He's described exactly what this commercial is and what it isn't.
Old 07-13-14, 02:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Actually, in this case, bitkahuna has nailed it. He's described exactly what this commercial is and what it isn't.
He didn't "nail" it, what he did was offer his opinion and from what Hoovey eloquently stated Lexus is targeting a far different customer. Mind you I have stated I am not a fan of it either but it is targeted towards my market. In the past the staid LS/SC ads were not aimed at me. Things have changed.

Lexus stated years ago how they will try to please their traditional base but they will be going after different markets and they understand if they lose some customers but gain new ones. Looking at the data, it seems it is working, there are more customer than ever.

Lexus is only 25 years young and is now truly discovering who they are in regards to drive and design. This is no longer the staid brand or brand that didn't want to be noticed. This ad is showing they want to be noticed, they want to be engaging and passionate.

This is only the beginning. There will be a lot more youthful ads and more risky ads, much like the riskier styling.

Look no further than here to understand where Lexus is going with design and pushing it to the forefront.

http://www.lexus-int.com/intersect/

Old 07-13-14, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
He didn't "nail" it, what he did was offer his opinion and from what Hoovey eloquently stated Lexus is targeting a far different customer. Mind you I have stated I am not a fan of it either but it is targeted towards my market. In the past the staid LS/SC ads were not aimed at me. Things have changed.

Lexus stated years ago how they will try to please their traditional base but they will be going after different markets and they understand if they lose some customers but gain new ones. Looking at the data, it seems it is working, there are more customer than ever.

Lexus is only 25 years young and is now truly discovering who they are in regards to drive and design. This is no longer the staid brand or brand that didn't want to be noticed. This ad is showing they want to be noticed, they want to be engaging and passionate.

This is only the beginning. There will be a lot more youthful ads and more risky ads, much like the riskier styling.

Look no further than here to understand where Lexus is going with design and pushing it to the forefront.

http://www.lexus-int.com/intersect/
The issue, though, with this ad, is not whether Lexus is going after younger buyers or not, but how the ad was done. I agree with bit that it was not well-done. And, back when I was 30 myself, I certainly wouldn't have bought a new car based on an ad like that.

(in fact, thinking back to Lee Iacocca's smooth-talking ads back then, some of THEM weren't terribly honest either....though Iacocca could sell ice to an Eskimo).
Old 07-13-14, 02:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I fully understand Lexus and other car companies (most consumer products for that matter) going after a younger buyer. They have to if they are going to grow and survive. It's been that way for a LONG time in advertising and marketing.

I'm older than most here and I see that the brands aren't going after my demographic and it makes sense. Most of my peers know what they want (for good or bad ) the desire to impress people/peers and have the latest and greatest diminishes. Expensive ad and marketing campaigns would largely be wasted.
Old 07-13-14, 02:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The issue, though, with this ad, is not whether Lexus is going after younger buyers or not, but how the ad was done. I agree with bit that it was not well-done. And, back when I was 30 myself, I certainly wouldn't have bought a new car based on an ad like that.

(in fact, thinking back to Lee Iacocca's smooth-talking ads back then, some of THEM weren't terribly honest either....though Iacocca could sell ice to an Eskimo).
Hey I've stated the ad for me personally was a little heavy handed at the beginning but overall the theme and message is pretty damn clear and aggressive.

An ad like this is about marketing the Lexus brand as sexy, passionate engaging, vibrant and youthful.

Old 07-13-14, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

An ad like this is about marketing the Lexus brand as sexy, passionate engaging, vibrant and youthful.
And that it is.

This ad is much better than the Buick crap from years ago with SHAQ and Tiger Woods.
Old 07-13-14, 02:46 PM
LexFather

And that it is.

This ad is much better than the Buick crap from years ago with SHAQ and Tiger Woods.
Tiger Woods has dropped Buick and now will advertise for Acura.

Quick Reply: Lexus "F" Commercial