Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti CEO leaves after just two years

Old 07-14-14, 01:59 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 292 Posts

I've long felt that Infiniti's biggest issue is poor branding. The product is decent, but their model nomenclature is broadly asinine...

There are as yet undiscovered tribes in the Amazon who can tell you that the 3 Series, C Class and A4 compete as do the 5, E and A6 etc. It takes a keen student of the brand to have the first idea which particular favor of Q is intended to compete in which particular segment.
Old 07-14-14, 02:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i think infiniti is in a very promising position right now. while many have scoffed at the 'q' naming, i think it's smart to reboot the branding now rather than later. infiniti's had such an inconsistent history... maybe now they're on the verge of really becoming a player, but we'll see.
I admire your optimism. Personally, I have never been more worried about the future of Infiniti than I am right now.

The Q50 launch has been lackluster and it's their most critical car - stop sales at release, half-baked software and a ride/handling balance that has left the automotive media (and evidently buyers) unimpressed. Perhaps most concerning is the Q50's significantly lower sales vs. the G37. Plus the decision to keep selling the G37 alongside the Q50? That reeks of, "We aren't really 100% committed to the Q50." It's bizarre behavior.

Looking at the rest of the lineup, the Q60 was sent back to the drawing board by a CEO who is now gone after 2 years on the job. The recent generation M/Q70 has been a sales flop. QX50 and QX70 need to be redesigned desperately. Selling rebadged Jukes in China? That's not good for the brand, even if it is a stopgap solution for sales. Execs seem focused on the Eau Rouge, which is expected to sell for around $100,000 and maybe 500 units... while their core product is losing marketshare?

Future Infinitis will be built on Mercedes and Nissan platforms with Nissan, Mercedes or Renault engines. I know a new family of V6 engines is on the way, but is that enough? This relationship with Mercedes seems very odd to me.

I'm not saying Infiniti can't do it - I think they can - but they're fighting a very uphill battle and if the last few years are any indication, it just doesn't look very good. I do wish Infiniti the best - I like the brand and would like to see another strong Japanese luxury brand (aside from Lexus) and Infiniti is really the only hope for that.
Old 07-14-14, 06:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

the Q50 launch was botched, for sure. quality issues and strange electric steering programming should definitely not have happened. but i still think it's a great car.
Old 07-14-14, 06:46 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the Q50 launch was botched, for sure. quality issues and strange electric steering programming should definitely not have happened. but i still think it's a great car.
The Acura RLX launch was botched. The Q50 was not botched. Sure, it had (has?) some software issues, but sales have been steady (good) since its release. The G37 is certainly siphoning off potential sales of the Q50, but it was their decision to keep both models in the lineup. Combined sales are more than what the G37 was doing on its own before the Q50 came along.
Old 07-14-14, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
. Personally, I have never been more worried about the future of Infiniti than I am right now.

I'm not saying Infiniti can't do it - I think they can - but they're fighting a very uphill battle and if the last few years are any indication, it just doesn't look very good. I do wish Infiniti the best - I like the brand and would like to see another strong Japanese luxury brand (aside from Lexus) and Infiniti is really the only hope for that.
Their products, today, are probably better overall than they were in the 90s, when they came up with some rather awkward-looking designs lie the J30 and M30. Their biggest asset back then, though, was they had a real (if slow-selling) flagship. Today's M56 (oops.....Q70 5.6) , despite a potent engine, is not what I would call a true flagship in the same mold as the regional Q45. Neither, IMO is the competing Cadillac XTS, Lincoln MKS, or Acura RLX. The XTS, especially, is disappointing.
Old 07-14-14, 07:01 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Their products, today, are probably better overall than they were in the 90s, when they came up with some rather awkward-looking designs lie the J30 and M30.
You could say the same thing about pretty much every brand.

Their biggest asset back then, though, was they had a real (if slow-selling) flagship.
The Q45. I've owned one (1st generation) and an excellent vehicle at that.

Today's M56 (oops.....Q70 5.6) , despite a potent engine, is not what I would call a true flagship in the same mold as the regional Q45. Neither, IMO is the competing Cadillac XTS, Lincoln MKS, or Acura RLX. The XTS, especially, is disappointing.
Everyone knows that these models are not true flagships. The Q70L is interesting because it will be sort of a tweener between a mid-grade model and full-fledged flagship. Will be interesting to see how well it sells and if buyers cross shop it with the other "real" flagships.
Old 07-14-14, 07:17 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

As a Q50 owner from the first day it was available for sale, I will say the launch was botched.

I have had the car 11 months and no software fix. No corporate reaching out, no offer to make things right.

When you have customers who can pretty much buy whatever they want and you don't support them after the sale, particularly what there have been issues with the car that leave the customer feeling they got less than they paid for, they lose faith in the brand. I certainly have.

Yes it is an excellent car but why should I spend my money at Three Stooges, Inc?

I do not expect to own another Infiniti.
Old 07-14-14, 08:10 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
As a Q50 owner from the first day it was available for sale, I will say the launch was botched.

I have had the car 11 months and no software fix. No corporate reaching out, no offer to make things right.

When you have customers who can pretty much buy whatever they want and you don't support them after the sale, particularly what there have been issues with the car that leave the customer feeling they got less than they paid for, they lose faith in the brand. I certainly have.

Yes it is an excellent car but why should I spend my money at Three Stooges, Inc?

Well, you know, there are always issues with buying a brand new model the first year out. But hey, that's the price you pay for buying the newest thing out there. I'm not justifying the fact that there are software issues that haven't been fixed, but you also said it's an excellent car, so you can't be too unhappy
Old 07-14-14, 08:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Wait- why haven't you gotten any software updates? I could've sworn they released an update a while back.
Old 07-15-14, 05:32 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I have had 2 software updates

I only found out about the first by being on a Q50 forum.

The second was part of a campaign.

Neither of these fixed the apps.

Lex2, yes the car is great and had fewer out of the box issues than my 06 IS350 had (also an early production car in the first year of the new model).

The key difference in the experience is that both Lexus and my dealerships did everything they could to make me happy.

Infiniti has done nothing and the dealer I take the car to for service just goes by what Infiniti tells them and that is dahm little.
Old 07-15-14, 09:36 AM
LexFather

We were first in the USA with the Q50, the launch was a botched to be kind. If people remember we couldn't figure out why the IS kept being tested and reviewed but not the Q50. The launch was delayed 3 months and the issues were never sorted out. Dealers begged for the car. The other issues are very well documented.

Old 07-15-14, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
We were first in the USA with the Q50, the launch was a botched to be kind. If people remember we couldn't figure out why the IS kept being tested and reviewed but not the Q50. The launch was delayed 3 months and the issues were never sorted out. Dealers begged for the car. The other issues are very well documented.
Before we sold our Infiniti franchise, we had Q50's sitting on the lot and showroom but could not be sold. Just useless inventory when there is a hold honestly.
Old 07-15-14, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Before we sold our Infiniti franchise, we had Q50's sitting on the lot and showroom but could not be sold. Just useless inventory when there is a hold honestly.
Do you think that the lack of sales was the car itself, the Infiniti brand, or simply that nobody wanted to buy from a dealership that might not be around much longer? After all, once your owner sells it, the new owner could decide that he (or she) may want a different franchise (and vehicle-brand) instead.
Old 07-15-14, 07:18 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

I have had 2 software updates

I only found out about the first by being on a Q50 forum.

The second was part of a campaign.

Neither of these fixed the apps.
Would this be an Infiniti issue or an issue of the programmers of the apps? Are all the apps acting up? I typically want to throw my android across the room on a daily basis because the apps are constantly freezing, shutting down, not working right, etc, but not sure who's to blame for this - Google, Samsung, or the App programmers?

Lex2, yes the car is great and had fewer out of the box issues than my 06 IS350 had (also an early production car in the first year of the new model).

The key difference in the experience is that both Lexus and my dealerships did everything they could to make me happy.

Infiniti has done nothing and the dealer I take the car to for service just goes by what Infiniti tells them and that is dahm little.
Well that's always been one of their problems. They lack the customer service that Lexus excels in. My own personal experiences with Infiniti dealerships mirror yours and others I've heard over the years. But at the end of the day I care more about the actual product itself than the whole "luxury experience". But I can understand how others may feel differently. And well, they should kiss your you know what, given the issues you've had to deal with, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Do you think that the lack of sales was the car itself, the Infiniti brand, or simply that nobody wanted to buy from a dealership that might not be around much longer? After all, once your owner sells it, the new owner could decide that he (or she) may want a different franchise (and vehicle-brand) instead.
I think he meant they couldn't sell them because of the software issues and weren't allowed to sell them as per Infiniti orders until there was a fix.
Old 07-15-14, 07:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN

I think he meant they couldn't sell them because of the software issues and weren't allowed to sell them as per Infiniti orders until there was a fix.
Good point. I hadn't considered the software issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti CEO leaves after just two years