Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Lexus NX 200t

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 06:02 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe part of the reason it rides like a large sedan is because it has small wheels and tall tires.
Old 07-10-14, 07:44 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the target audience of this vehicle, it's swift enough to get along down the road just fine. That's all the engine it needs for now.

I think we're going to see a lot of these on the road if they can keep a nicely-optioned NX 200 at $35k or less. Lexus has a hit on its hands with this one.
Old 07-11-14, 12:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Toyota/Lexus, outside of the Prius, has never been huge on first to market, or being top of the market. Internal restrictions make it pretty difficult to push the envelope. Tons of manufacturing capability constraints and reliability metrics. While some of these are good, many are also somewhat outdated or no longer apply. Toyota/Lexus is usually a fast follower... but.. not fast. So just a follower. Internally they even say themselves, that they're never ones to really do things fast or first.
You couldn't be more wrong. Historically, Toyota moves much faster than other mainstream manufacturers like Ford or GM. Internally, Toyota is not restricted at all, they actually encourage forward thinking and great new ideas.

I will say that Toyota/Lexus has followed trends more often the last few years to make sure they get things right.
Old 07-11-14, 05:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

I agree.
19" on the CX-5.
Originally Posted by spwolf
Venza has 20"... yay!
Sure......as long as the road is glass-smooth.
Old 07-11-14, 05:32 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what's latest on u.s. availability?
I believe they're targeting end of Q3, beginning of Q4 for release.
Old 07-11-14, 05:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS

I think we're going to see a lot of these on the road if they can keep a nicely-optioned NX 200 at $35k or less. Lexus has a hit on its hands with this one.
In general, I agree, but it also depends on how much competition it gets from the upcoming Lincoln MKC. Agreed, most of Lincoln's new entries lately have been flops (deservedly so, IMO)....but the MKC looks like it may (?) have the potential to break that pattern.
Old 07-11-14, 06:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Maybe part of the reason it rides like a large sedan is because it has small wheels and tall tires.
Rav4 has the same and it rides rougher and leans in turns... difference is suspension, NVH and rigidity.
Old 07-11-14, 06:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I think we're going to see a lot of these on the road if they can keep a nicely-optioned NX 200 at $35k or less.
I don't think a nicely optioned NX will be anywhere around $35k. Base price will be higher than that for sure, as Rav4 Limited is $34k fully optioned.

A decently optioned NX is going to probably ~$42k. I am expecting base price of ~$37,395 or so.
Old 07-11-14, 06:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I agree.
19" on the CX-5.
Venza has 20"... yay!
that's what I mean! I don't understand TMOCO/Lexus sometimes.
Old 07-11-14, 07:14 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I mean minus some obvious Lexus features (front spindle grill, some interior options) they have the same shape and similar exterior styling that would make me beg to differ. Lexus Claims that its 90% different which it very possibly can because of its interior styling, drive train (maybe since they both use the AR style engine 2.5l 2AR in Rav4 and 2.0l 8AR). To you it may be different but to me, it just seems like they took bits and pieces from all around the toyota line changed them a little bit to make the NX. But that's just my opinion

Not saying that its a bad thing. The Rav4 has come A LONG WAY in its styling and has proven it self to the toyota line so its not a BAD thing

To be honest, I share your very same sentiments!
Old 07-11-14, 08:37 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rav4 has the same and it rides rougher and leans in turns... difference is suspension, NVH and rigidity.
So you're saying big wheels don't deter ride quality and small wheels don't add comfort?
Old 07-11-14, 08:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't think a nicely optioned NX will be anywhere around $35k. Base price will be higher than that for sure, as Rav4 Limited is $34k fully optioned.

A decently optioned NX is going to probably ~$42k. I am expecting base price of ~$37,395 or so.
yep, i expect a spread between 37k and 50k... although I have to say - unlike few years back, base Lexus products are very attractive now... Base NX has LED headlights, LED strips front/back, 7" screen standard, fake leather, etc, etc... it is fine car and you "dont have to" upgrade... for my 2009 IS, I had to get Luxury or nothing, since interior looked like crap without nav.

So for NX, I am very happy with base or mid spec models in Europe... it starts at €40k for well equipped base, 44k for mid spec that has everything you need and up to almost €65k for EVERYTHING.
Old 07-11-14, 08:49 AM
LexFather

This is one of those vehicles that we can have giant threads about them and we can nitpick things but the market/consumer is going to love it and buy it in droves. It isn't perfect, the styling isn't for everyone and the specs might not be jaw dropping but overall it is an extremely solid effort.

Funny but the leading feature might be the technology offered .

Old 07-11-14, 08:53 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You couldn't be more wrong. Historically, Toyota moves much faster than other mainstream manufacturers like Ford or GM. Internally, Toyota is not restricted at all, they actually encourage forward thinking and great new ideas.

I will say that Toyota/Lexus has followed trends more often the last few years to make sure they get things right.
I worked DIRECTLY FOR CORPORATE and saw how things are done and was part of conversations for R&D and product planning. But sure, believe what you want to believe.
Old 07-11-14, 10:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
This is one of those vehicles that we can have giant threads about them and we can nitpick things but the market/consumer is going to love it and buy it in droves. It isn't perfect, the styling isn't for everyone and the specs might not be jaw dropping but overall it is an extremely solid effort.

Funny but the leading feature might be the technology offered .
The vast majority of these luxury CUV's are used as daily drivers and family haulers. As long as it's a nice package, drives well, decent fuel economy and offers a good level of technology it will appeal to potential buyers and sell well.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Lexus NX 200t