Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Toyota Supra Is Back And It's Reportedly Part BMW

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 07:27 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Toyota Supra Is Back And It's Reportedly Part BMW

The announcement of the BMW-Toyota partnership has been as perplexing as it is exciting. Nothing solid has come of the deal yet, but it's supplied the world with scores of crazy rumors. But a new report in Nikkei Asia Review may be the most solid one yet. It also heralds the return of the Toyota Supra.

The Nikkei reported today that Toyota and BMW are working on a new sports car platform. We knew that, but it's the details that matter: this platform will underpin the next BMW Z4 and a revival of the Toyota Supra. The two cars could go on sale as early as 2017.

Unlike the deal with Subaru and Toyota that resulted in the FR-S/GT86/BRZ, these two cars will have different bodies, the newspaper says. (No word on what they'll look like — perhaps they'll take cues from the Toyota FT-1 concept above.) The Supra's "strong fan base" sparked the reason for the new one, it says.

The Supra name could come back. That's a huge deal. Frankly, Toyota is stupid not to bring it back. There's a ton of equity in that name, especially among people who grew up in the 1990s and lusted after them back then. It means a lot to buyers from that generation, myself included.

Unfortunately, the report goes into no further detail about what the new cars will be like. Still, the fact that the Supra and Z4 will be joined at the hip — if that is correct, of course — should allow us to dismiss a lot of rumors about mid-engined cars, expensive halo cars, cheap sports cars, or a Toyobaru replacement.

The current Z4 starts at about $50,000 and has both four- and inline six-cylinder power and, of course, rear-wheel drive. All of that sounds pretty appropriate for a new Supra to me. Let's hope it holds true.
http://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-supra...ium=socialflow
Old 07-11-14, 07:33 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Damn this good news, this partnership should yield one hell of a car... So many questions... Will Toyota try to make this a hybrid? Who is making the engine? Will they keep it a straight 6 too pay homage to Supra's of past? Or will it be a big turbo 4 as is the trend?
Old 07-11-14, 07:34 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Wow so toyota is going to pair a legendary name and car, the supra, with a lack-luster slow nobody such as the z4?

Good luck with that.ugh

Lackluster and slow

How do you figure?
Old 07-11-14, 08:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headline of this article speaks in absolutes but the article is clearly all speculation. Next...
Old 07-11-14, 08:17 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The headline of this article speaks in absolutes but the article is clearly all speculation. Next...
Typical Jalopnik article then.
Old 07-11-14, 10:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Originally Posted by TangoRed
Typical Jalopnik article then.
Attention *****s are whoring

Funny how the Z4 aka BMW SC 430 gets a nice internet pass

Old 07-11-14, 11:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I doubt BMW has any hands in the Supra project. The venture is likely Toyota helping with the Z4
Old 07-11-14, 12:54 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

we already have an official thread for the BMW and Toyota car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-together.html
Old 07-11-14, 12:55 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

The BMW/Toyota partnership on the Supra has been a rumor on and off for years. Typical jalopnik bored writers beating a dead horse. Can't happen, won't happen...
Old 07-11-14, 01:15 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Wow so toyota is going to pair a legendary name and car, the supra, with a lack-luster slow nobody such as the z4?

Good luck with that.ugh
Really? Have you even driven one (let alone own one)? Sure, the Z4 didn't generate the kind of excitement (or sale) BMW was hoping for but it is one of the timeless design (IMHO). The Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S are sure have some similar lines (some even argued the Ferrari FF has that same look).

I am definitely bias since i own the Z4M but i think it is a win win situation when BMW and Toyota get together
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-11-14, 01:35 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

i call BS on this report. the Z4 is a tiny 2 seater. we all know FT-1 (new supra) is a 2+2. i dont see it having much to do with the smaller Z4. unless BMW wants a larger Z7 thats been rumored.
Old 07-12-14, 01:34 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by gymratter
i call BS on this report. the Z4 is a tiny 2 seater. we all know FT-1 (new supra) is a 2+2. i dont see it having much to do with the smaller Z4. unless BMW wants a larger Z7 thats been rumored.
You do realize that modern chassis are modular right? You can pretty much have a car compete in every category by having a flexible chassis.
Old 07-12-14, 01:37 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by LexFather
Attention *****s are whoring

Funny how the Z4 aka BMW SC 430 gets a nice internet pass
Lol, except you're utterly wrong on this one. The z had engine options and performance variants, and was (and is) a great performer. While the sc was lazy rebadged effort, come on who are you trying to fool.

Nice try, spin it again.
Old 07-12-14, 10:05 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

What a sad partnership.

Why did toyota go with this? They should have partnered up with Mazda instead!
Old 07-13-14, 11:00 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doge
You do realize that modern chassis are modular right? You can pretty much have a car compete in every category by having a flexible chassis.
yes i know what a modular platform is. but than we are assuming BMW and Toyota are working on a modular platform. the only thing that has been confirmed by press release is that the new co developed sports cars will be a midsize coupe.

Originally Posted by yowps3
What a sad partnership.

Why did toyota go with this? They should have partnered up with Mazda instead!
maybe because Toyota doesnt want a rotor power sports car.

Quick Reply: The Toyota Supra Is Back And It's Reportedly Part BMW