Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Audi A3

Old 07-09-14, 02:31 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure, but don't hold your breath. Audi hasn't sent any versions of the S3 here so far....at least that I can remember.
Audi S3 has been confirmed for the U.S. for quite some time with this new generation. 2.0 Turbo with 292 HP and 0-60 mph in 4.7 Seconds. Pricing to start at $41,995 and should reach dealers by "late summer"
Old 07-09-14, 02:44 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbm317
Audi S3 has been confirmed for the U.S. for quite some time with this new generation. 2.0 Turbo with 292 HP and 0-60 mph in 4.7 Seconds. Pricing to start at $41,995 and should reach dealers by "late summer"
I've been told September by my dealer's "S club" program manager.
Old 07-09-14, 03:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Great review and thanks for fulfilling the request. It seems this new A3 is really meeting the market's needs, as Audi is stating they have to increase production to meet U.S. demand. Good news for them.

I've driven the 1.8T and found it to be quite peppy. Then, I have not driven the 2.0T, so I'd likely have a different opinion if driven both or back to back. But I think for the average, every-day-needs driver, the 18T is plenty.

One other advantage of the 2.0T is the slightly better fuel economy. This is odd, considering it's a larger engine than the 1.8T.

"Minimalistic" is a good word to describe the dash and center stack. I think it looks too boring and unfinished, especially for a premium car.

For what it's worth, the sport package option now includes a lowered suspension. This hadn't been the case with the sport package offered since launch.
Old 07-09-14, 03:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review Mike. Saw a new black A3 on the freeway last night, cute car the size of the original A4. I was driving a 2011 M3 vert though so they were admiring my temporary ride
Old 07-09-14, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great review and thanks for fulfilling the request.
Thanks....glad you enjoyed it.

It seems this new A3 is really meeting the market's needs, as Audi is stating they have to increase production to meet U.S. demand. Good news for them.
Yeah....I hate to admit it, since I have a lot of respect for the versatility of hatchbacks, but, with the typical American attitude towards hatchbacks (particularly in the premium/upmarket class, it looks alike the current A3 sedan will handily outsell the former hatchbacks.

I've driven the 1.8T and found it to be quite peppy. Then, I have not driven the 2.0T, so I'd likely have a different opinion if driven both or back to back. But I think for the average, every-day-needs driver, the 18T is plenty.
I also tested the 1.8T I drove on a typically hot humid D.C. summer day....90 degrees and humid. Heat and humidity sap power out of even turbo engines, though less so than with normally-aspirated ones. The same car and engine, at freezing temperatures, would probably show noticeably better 0-60 times.

One other advantage of the 2.0T is the slightly better fuel economy. This is odd, considering it's a larger engine than the 1.8T.
That's probably because you have to use a heavier right foot with the 1.8 than the 2.0 to keep up with traffic. Smaller engines in the same vehicle don't always mean better economy. Even so, the 1.8 doesn't have the extra weight/drag of AWD that the 2.0 does

"Minimalistic" is a good word to describe the dash and center stack. I think it looks too boring and unfinished, especially for a premium car.
Yes.....I mentioned in the review that the A3's interior was noticeably less ornate and plush than the A4's. But, to be fair, a lot of that, IMO (even the A3's lack of a wood-tone option), can be forgiven in the A3 by the use of such nice high-quality materials inside. Those plain-looking surfaces definitely have a nice feel to them. And my test car had the optional genuine aluminum trim.

For what it's worth, the sport package option now includes a lowered suspension. This hadn't been the case with the sport package offered since launch.
The model I drove, for my tastes, handled decently enough without the Sport Option. But, if you aren't satisfied with it, then go ahead and spring for that package. But keep in mind that lowered suspensions, stiffer underpinnings, and lower-profile tires usually (but not always) mean a stiffer, noisier ride and less comfort. One of the very few exceptions was the last-generation BMW 335i, whose chassis engineering was so superb that the Sport package was virtually indistinguishable from the regular hardware. But cars like that are generally few and far between.
Old 07-09-14, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review Mike.
Thanks.

Saw a new black A3 on the freeway last night, cute car the size of the original A4.
Today's A3 is slightly shorter, though, than today's A4, (seemingly) mostly from the front/rear overhangs and trunk lid.

I was driving a 2011 M3 vert though so they were admiring my temporary ride
A three-year old M3? I'll bet you had some fun with that ride (responsibly, of course),
Old 07-09-14, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
Thanks for sharing!
Anytime. Glad you enjoyed it.

I just had one of these as a loaner this week, and I too disliked the sun shade. Even more so the fact that they don't extend like the ones in the A4 do, meaning they block zero sun if you are driving north and the sun is coming in on the side. (Or perhaps mine was broken. Possible in a loaner)
When you say "extend" do you mean detach from the inner holding-clip and swivel to the side? Most visors nowadays do that.

Mine was a 2.0T quattro, though, and it was very zippy. Passing on the highway was no problem - in fact, I was quite surprised by how quickly it could go 70-80. The S mode is pretty simple to engage, just pull the shift lever down, and it will tap it into S. Do it again to return to D. Manual Mode is engaged by pushing the lever to the right, and then tipping up/down to shift. I found S mode was in the same gear I would have chosen most of the time, so left it in that.
Yes, the 2.0 is a jewel of a small power plant....always was one of my favorites. I'd take it hands-down over the 1.8. The 2.0 TDI diesel in other VW/Audi products is also very impressive.....and doesn't require periodic urea-treatments.

The interior is very high quality, but does has a minimalist look as its theme. This may bother some people. It's intended for a very young target audience. Audi is looking for buyers under 25 years of age, and so the design is focused on their tastes. I view it as having everything you need and nothing you don't, but it may lack a few things you'd want.
Generally agreed on most points, but I don't see what age would have that much to do with it. Many people well over 25 could be quite happy with this car....especially if they need a compact car for tight parking spaces.

Overall it's a solid car, and it's sales are showing. It's certainly better than a 320, which I disagree with keyframe13 on the mismatch in competition. The A3 and 320 start very close to one another, with the gap closing to <$200 if you choose the A3 2.0T, and the A3 2.0T being >$1000 less if you step up to real leather in the 320, which the A3 comes with standard.. I think one would be hard pressed to choose a 320 over the A3 given this fact and the level of quality of everything in the A3.
Yes, I agree. The A3 and A4, today, are probably both nicer than today's 3-series.....but not necessarily for the last-generation 3-series, which was a joy to drive.
Old 07-09-14, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Originally Posted by Infra
I've been told September by my dealer's "S club" program manager.
Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I finally did find that on the Audiusa.com website, but it's in very fine print...you really have to search carefully for it. It gives a "summer" introduction date and a 41-46K price-range.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-14 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-10-14, 06:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 3.2L V6 was offered on the 2Gen version.
ok then....but it's been gone for 4 years.

Audi also makes a more potent 2.0-liter turbocharged TFSI® engine generating 265 hp 258 tq...so again, there's no need for the weaker 3.2.
Old 07-10-14, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Audi also makes a more potent 2.0-liter turbocharged TFSI® engine generating 265 hp 258 tq...so again, there's no need for the weaker 3.2.

Yes, that's true from a power/fuel-economy standpoint (and I have to admit that the 2.0T has long been one of my favorite in-line fours). But usually the two extra cylinders also brings an extra level of smoothness and refinement.

I ended the review, BTW, in THE VERDICT section, with a general recommendation of the 2.0T/AWD versions, unless the lowest price was the top priority and/or AWD was nt needed. The 2.0T, in my experience, is significantly more responsive than the 1.8T, even with only 0.2L more displacement.
Old 07-10-14, 07:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested to see where the negotiated price ends up in a few months, after the newness has worn off. Once you get to 2.0 Quattro Premium Plus, with MMI and blind spot monitoring, you're at $40,000. And for $1-2K more, I think there's good deals on the ATS Performance or Premium, which gives you a lot more for your money (but not much more interior or trunk room). And I think the S3 base price is going to have similar price creep with bundled option packages.

Last edited by tex2670; 07-10-14 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 08:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I have to admit that the 2.0T has long been one of my favorite in-line fours. But usually the two extra cylinders also brings an extra level of smoothness and refinement.
I've lived with the 2.0T in my wife's A5 for a few years now and that engine is amazingly smooth (moreso than the 2.4L in my Acura).....plus its averaging 30.5 mpg in mixed driving!
Old 07-10-14, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm interested to see where the negotiated price ends up in a few months, after the newness has worn off. Once you get to 2.0 Quattro Premium Plus, with MMI and blind spot monitoring, you're at $40,000. And for $1-2K more, I think there's good deals on the ATS Performance or Premium, which gives you a lot more for your money (but not much more interior or trunk room). And I think the S3 base price is going to have similar price creep with bundled option packages.
Audi is previewing the S3 in the 41-46K range.
Old 07-10-14, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I've lived with the 2.0T in my wife's A5 for a few years now and that engine is amazingly smooth (moreso than the 2.4L in my Acura).....plus its averaging 30.5 mpg in mixed driving!
No arguments there. It's always been one of my favorite fours. If you feel it is as smooth as a V6, fine. I suspect, though, that if you are getting over 30 MPG, you probably aren't using all of its available torque very much. This engine, especially in the smaller, lighter VW/Audi products, will press you back in your seat if you give it enough gas.
Old 07-10-14, 10:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

No arguments there. It's always been one of my favorite fours. If you feel it is as smooth as a V6, fine. I suspect, though, that if you are getting over 30 MPG, you probably aren't using all of its available torque very much. This engine, especially in the smaller, lighter VW/Audi products, will press you back in your seat if you give it enough gas.
I just get to drive it on the weekends and to gas it up

I was actually thinking of chipping it to 265hp....done for under $1000 with full Audi warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Audi A3