Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2015 Audi A3

By CL member-request, a Review of the all-new 2015 Audi A3 Sedan.

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a3-sedan

IN A NUTSHELL: Flip-flop marketing this year, but still a solid entry in the entry-level premium-car class.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: BMW 320/328, Mercedes CLA250, Lexus IS250 Infiniti Q50, Acura ILX, Chrysler 200, Buick Verano.

OVERVIEW:

Audi's A3 is their primary offering in what is called the compact, or "C" class line of vehicles, as opposed to the smaller, sub-compact and minicar A and B-classes. Smaller A2 models have been sold in other markets, but have never been marketed in the U.S. The A3 itself (after a number of requests from the auto press and from others who were interested) was first marketed here in 2005, only in hatchback form...or what Audi called a "Sportback". Only the 2.0 turbo four (long one of my favorite small engines) and 3.2L V6 was offered. Audi did not offer the sedans, convertible Cabriolet, or high-performance S3 versions in the U.S. Even so, sales did not match those of the higher-line A4 and A6 models in the U.S. The A3, though, despite fairly low sales, proved to be an attractive option for some of those who, for any reason, did not purchase entry-level vehicles from BMW or Mercedes, or from some former VW customers moving up to their first Audi.

So, for now, Audi's marketers have done a classic flip-flop in their offering. The former hatchback-only policy in the American market, with the new 3rd-generation model, is now replaced with an only-SEDAN policy. In business, of course, money and sales talk, and perhaps the hatchback sales here in America just weren't enough to their liking.....or not enough to make their target profit goals. So, in their view, it's time to try again.....with sedans. Again, as before, convertibles and the S3/RS3 will not be offered here either.....although an extended-range e-ton plug-in hybrid, with the Sportback hatchback body, may (?) be on the way later this year or in early 2015.

For 2015, here is the American-market A3 lineup. Three trim lines are offered......Premium, starting at $29,900, Premium Plus, starting at $32,450, and Prestige, starting at $38,350....all four-door sedans, of course. All three versions come with a standard 6-speed S-Tronic auto manual Sport-shift transmission (no conventional automatic or 3-pedal manual) and a choice of a 1.8L Turbo in-line four with 177 HP/200 Ft-lbs. torque or a 2.0L Turbo in-line four with 220 HP/258 Ft-lbs. torque. The nice 3.2L V6, unfortunately, has been dropped. 1.8T models come with front-wheel-drive (FWD), while 2.0T models use the excellent, well-provan Quattro all-wheel-drive (AWD) system.

For the review, since I've already sampled a number of different VW / Audi products with the 2.0T engine and Quattro AWD, I picked out a base, entry-level 1.8T model with FWD. Starting at just a hair under 30K, this is the version that would probably appeal most to those on a budget.......in fact, at today's prices, 30K is just about the average price of a new car sold in the U.S. It had a moderate load of options (and a $350 credit for a single front-seat climate control system rather than the more common dual), listing for $32,200, quite reasonable by Audi standards.

I had to interrupt the static (non-driving) part of the review, though, while I was part of the way through it. I was taking down the price/options information on my notepad when I suddenly heard a loud thud, the sounds of metal tearing, and a couple of brake-screeches afterwards (presumably from vehicles without anti-lock brakes). I knew in a instant what had happened, as I've been near or witnessed some serious accidents before. I didn't see the wrecked vehicles at first, but as I walked towards the intersection (right at the end of the dealer's lot, which sits at the intersection of on a main street and side road), I saw a current-generation Ford Escape with mild-to-moderate front-end damage and an old Acura TL sedan (dating back to at least the early-to-mid 2000s) with the ****** ripped out of its rear end. The whole rear bumper, both lower rear quarter-panels, taillights and bumper-mounting assemblies were ripped completely off the car.....lying out on the street in jagged pieces, with one of the rear wheels bent out (camber) at a 45-degree angle. People were also coming out of the dealership to see if they could be of any assist. Though I'm admittedly not a trained paramedic, I checked to see if there were any apparent injuries. Both drivers, who were alone in the vehicles, said they were all right. Oddly, I didn't remember seeing a deployed air-bag on the Escape (which took a front-impact)....but front air bags typically aren't set to go off below a 14 MPH G-equivalent impact. I told the drivers I heard the crash but didn't actually see it, so I could not be of any use as a witness (as I have been several times before). Turned out that wasn't an issue...the guy in the Escape told me he was admitting fault by running a red light (yes, there are still some honest people in the world). Several people had already dialed 911, so police and fire were there in a few minutes. GM has an On-Star system that automatically notifies their national call-center and summons help in an accident.....I'm not sure if that almost new Escape had a similar system from Ford on it or not. The Escape driver asked me if I thought he could still drive it home or to the body-shop. Since the two front doors could still open and close (with some difficulty and binding), and I didn't see any leaking anti-freeze or any other fluids on the pavement, I told him that if the cop would allow it, to try driving it home slow and easy, watching the temperature gauge and oil-light to see if any fluids started leaking out. By then, I figured I'd done all I could, all I would do is get in the way and be a nuisance if I stayed there, so I left things at the scene to the cops and fire-personnel (which is their job), went back to the A3, and finished the review.

Ironically, BTW, on the A3 test-drive, I actually passed the tow-truck a couple of miles away taking the wrecked TL to wherever it was going. My guess is, given its age (probably 10 years old or more), and the extensive rear-end damage, it may be totaled.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Audi A3 Premium 1.8T FWD S-Tronic

BASE PRICE: $29,900

OPTIONS:

Metallic Paint: $550 (more on this below)

Cold Weather Package: $500

Aluminum Style Package: $450

All Weather Mats: $180

Grocery Hooks: $75

Credit for Single-Zone Climate-Control: -$350

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $895

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $32,200

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transversely-mounted 1.8L in-line four, 170 HP @ 4500-6200 RPM, Torque 200 Ft-lbs. @ 1600-4000 RPM, 6-speed dual-clutch S-Tronic transmission with SportsShift.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 23 City, 33 Highway, 27 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Lotus Gray Metallic (a light stone-gray color)

INTERIOR: Black Leather (Surprisingly, real leather, not fake)

PLUSSES:

Excellent overall workmanship inside and out.

(Mostly) superb interior materials.

Wide choice of exterior paint colors.

Typically superb Audi paint jobs.

Cast-iron engine block for durability and heat-resistance.

Real leather seats without an extra charge....unusual with German branded vehicles in this class.

Smooth responsive electromechanical power steering.

Good handling and relative lack of body roll.

Superb brake-pedal feel typical of German sport sedans.

Reasonably comfortable ride.

Good wind noise control.

Clear legible gauges.

Nice gas struts for hood.

Fairly good underhood layout by premium/upmarket car standards.

Well-finished cargo-area trim.

Good alternative for those who are dissatisfied with the current BMW 3-series.

$350 credit available for those who don't need dual-zone climate-control.

Good air-conditioning with rapid cool-down.

MINUSES:

3.2L V6 no longer offered in U.S.

Hatchbacks no longer offered in U.S.

German upmarket/luxury-car warranties (4/50 for everything) not up to those brands from other countries.

Fairly expensive service/repairs if not free or warranty-covered.

Dual-clutch transmission sometimes balky starting from rest.

1.8L Turbo engine noticeably weaker than 2.0L Turbo despite only slightly smaller displacement.

Pronounced (but not excessive) road noise.

Extra $550 (Metallic/Pearl) charge for all except two of the factory paint-colors.

No body-side moldings for door-protection.

Temporary spare tire.

Cheap hard sun-visors among otherwise very impressive interior materials.

Brake-pedal location not ideal for large feet-shoes.

Rear headroom compromised some by sloping roofline.

Some dash/console controls don't operate intuitively.

Premium fuel recommended for both engines.

EXTERIOR:

There are no surprises at all on the outside of the A3 as you first walk up to it. Even in the latest version, style-wise, it still is basically a scaled-down version of the larger A4 and A6, with the same lines, curves, and oversized Audi grille. And, like with previous versions, it still retains the excellent body workmanship and assembly-quality....though some of the new body panels, like the hood, feel light enough to be aluminum rather than sheet steel. The twin side-mirrors swivel and lock in place with the snap and precision of a Marine Drill Sergeant. There is a nice wide choice of decent-looking (IMO) paint colors, although to get all but two of them (non-metallics), you'll cough up an extra $550. The paint jobs, as with some time now with Audis, are all superbly-done, though the extra-cost light gray metallic on my test car (as with many light metallics) lacked some of the jewel-shine of the darker ones. As with many of today's sedans, the raked rear roofline cuts into the size of the trunk lid, but it's not too bad, and still allows easy loading. It DOES significantly cut into rear seat head room, though...more on that later. Except for the oversized grille (which I've never cared for on Audis), I liked the relatively simple, conservative exterior design.....I'm a firm believer that sedans aren't supposed to look like space ships.

UNDERHOOD:

The hood feels strong but light....seems like it is a good grade of aluminum-alloy. Open it up, and two nice gas struts hold it up for you....no fumbling around with cheap manual prop-rods. On the underside of the hood is a nice insulation pad that helps keep engine noise down (which many four-cylinder engines need). The general underhood layout is pretty good by upmarket/premium-car standards, which can sometimes be a nightmare. The transversely-mounted 1.8L four and its turbo hardware fits in pretty well. A medium-sized plastic engine cover does block some top-component-access, but other components around the front, sides, and rear of the engine-block are more exposed and fairly easily reached. An added treat underhood (IMO) is the cast-iron engine block for durability and resistance to damage from overheating....both the 1.8L and 2.0L engines have this feature. Though it does add some weight to the front end, I'm a big fan of iron blocks....and they are becoming increasingly hard to find nowadays. All of the dipsticks, fluid-reservoirs, and filler-caps are easily reached. But the battery, to the right-rear, is covered in a flimsy-feeling fabric/cardboard flip-up cover. Any battery-acid vapors will probably eat up that thin cover in a hurry.

INTERIOR:

A number of reviews from the auto-press, on the latest A3, generally pan its interior and criticize it for cheapness. I disagree. Workmanship inside, IMO, is just as as good or better than on the outside. Getting in, the doors close with a reasonably solid and precise (but not heavy) thunk. The A3's interior, style-wise, is clearly less plush than that of the larger A4 and A6 (on that note, the press-reviews may have a point)........but you would not know it from the quality of the materials. Nothing inside, IMO, feels cheap except for the thick, hard-plastic sun visors overhead. Audi clearly spent some money on the rest of the interior, despite its somewhat plain look. My test-car had the all-black interior and the (genuine) Aluminum trim option....but other color-combinations are offered for those who prefer two-tones. The entire dash is covered with thick, solid, well-padded materials, The big round dash air-vents and the relatively powerful air-conditioning (even with the $350-credit single zone system), cooled the interior of the car down quickly on a typical D.C.-area 90 degree humid July day, even after the car had been baking in the sun all morning. Pleasant, high-quality materials also cover the door panels and console. The seating surfaces are real leather (no fake stuff like in some other upmarket German cars)....and the leather has a basically nice feel, though not as plush or soft as you would find in, say, a Jaguar. The front seats themselves are relatively comfortable for a person of my size, with a wide torso. Headroom in front was OK for a person my size, even though all A3s come with a standard sunroof. In back, though, headroom was significantly compromised by the sunroof housing and the droop-down rear roofline (Why can't sedans have nice squared-off roofs like they used to?....this business of trying to make sedans look like coupes, is, IMO, nonsense). With the front seat adjusted where I usually want it, though, legroom in back, for a car of this size, was not bad....and better than in some of its competitors. This stereo sound was reasonably good, though certainly not what you will find in, say, a Harmon-Kardin or Mark Levinson unit. The center-dash video screen sticks up in a rather awkward-looking way and is not well-integrated with the dash, but otherwise is solid and does the job. The steering wheel is well-designed and comfortable, like in other Audis. The primary gauges are clear and easy to read. Virtually all of the interior hardware is solid and well-attached, though the operation of some of the center-dash and console controls is not particularly intuitive and takes some getting used to. The only significant omission inside, IMO, is the lack of a wood-tone trim option...I don't know what Audi was thinking on that line.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open up the trunk lid, which, like the hood, feels light but strong, and you are treated to a generally well-finished cargo area that is reasonably roomy for a car of this size....but, of course, it's no Chevy Suburban. The floor and walls are covered in a nice-feeling black fabric-carpet that is reasonably plush, and my test-car had the optional ($75) grocery-hooks inside. The split rear seats (with VERY solid-feeling hardware/locks) fold down independently for added cargo space on each side, and also have a small pass-through in the middle for long narrow items like fishing poles, golf clubs, or skis. Under the trunk floor is the only significant disappointment....the usual temporary spare tire.

ON THE ROAD:

On my test-car, start up the 1.8 Turbo four with a plastic key/fob and conventional side-column ignition switch (some versions use a button instead). The engine fires up and idles fairly smoothly, and shows decent refinement for an in line four. But, on the road, while not exactly sluggish, it had noticeably less spunk than its slightly bigger 2.0L Turbo brother...even less-burdened with the FWD. The engine didn't feel particularly well-integrated with the dual-clutch 6-seeed automanual transmission, either. Depending on exactly how you used the throttle and how much you feathered it, some starts from rest were smooth; others seemed uneven or hesitant. Turbo lag was noticeable, also more so than with the slightly larger 2.0L turbo. There is a sport/eco mode for the powertrain, but it has rather awkward-operating buttons on the shift lever.

The chassis, however, like with most newer Audis, is first-rate. The electric power steering, with its overall 15.3: 1 ratio, didn't have quite the road-feel of older 3-series BMWs, but was smooth-operating, relatively quick, and responsive. Sharp steering/handling inputs produced only minor body roll, and ride comfort was pretty good, over bumps, for a car of this size. Ride comfort, with the specific wheel/tire package on my test car, was not bad......not quite as smooth as I would have liked, but I admit that I'm not an easy person to please in that department. Wind noise was well-controlled, while some road/tire noise got into the cabin, particularly on porous-grained surfaces. The brakes had the usual ultra-firm Germanic sport-sedan feel/response, though the pedal-location itself, relative to the gas pedal, was not quite ideal for my big size-15 circus-clown shoes, as my right shoe would slightly catch on the side of the brake pedal when going from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

After reviewing and driving the A3, among several other reasons to consider it, I think it, and the A4, would make good alternatives for the increasing number of buyers disenchanted with the latest versions of the BMW 3-series. The A3 is not as plush-looking inside as the slightly larger and more expensive A4, but still uses superb material-quality inside and out, and retains the basic Germanic driving feel and superb brake-pedal response/feel. Some road noise is present, but it is not excessive, and noise-control is otherwise well-done. Admittedly, it somewhat lacks the super-telepathic steering feel of the older hydraulic-steer BMW 3-series......but, for that matter, so does the newer electric-power-steering 3-series, one reason BMW is losing its Ultimate Driving Machine reputation. The (current) lack of a U.S.-market hatchback A3 version won't help those who want roomy cargo areas, but the sedan version has reasonable room for a car this size, especially with the rear seats folded down (some manufacturers cost-cut by not providing that feature, or claim they omit it for reasons of rear unibody-frame-rigidity with the extra cross-brace that prevents fold-down). FWD is also offered for those who don't want the cost or need the extra traction of the Quattro system.

If it were my personal choice, though, I'd clearly go with the 2.0T / Quattro version over the 1.8T / FWD. Even with only a small difference in size (0.2L), less weight/drag on the engine from the FWD system vs. the Quattro (and both of them being turbos), the 1.8T, IMO still feels noticeably less responsive then the 2.0T. The 2.0T has long been one of my favorite small engines. I've enjoyed test-driving it in many different VW and Audi products. It's strong enough, for its size, that Audi even uses it on the much larger and heavier A6 sedan. So, IMO, unless the absolute lowest price or highest fuel-economy for an A3 is an issue, pay the extra money and get the 2.0T/Quattro.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM
Old 07-09-14, 11:34 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review as always! I too would get the 2.0t, the 1.8t is a miserable slug. Now this car is based off of the jetta, did it in anyway feel like one?
Old 07-09-14, 11:44 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I think this is more 2 series competitor despite having 4 doors. Whoever consider 3 series would consider the A4 not A3. My 2 cents
I just wish they'll bring the hatchback S3 here in the US.
Old 07-09-14, 11:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hatchback is coming back for their hybrids and diesels.
Old 07-09-14, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
Great review as always!
Thanks.

I too would get the 2.0t, the 1.8t is a miserable slug.
Wouldn't quite call it a slug (it will get out of its own way if you push it). But it certainly is not in the 2.0T's league. Interesting, considering the only 0.2L difference in displacement.

Now this car is based off of the jetta, did it in anyway feel like one?
Well, it certainly didn't feel like the last American-market Jetta, which (by VWs own admission) suffered from excessive cost-cutting in the interior and rear suspension. The A3, in contrast, IMO, is worthy of an upmarket nameplate.
Old 07-09-14, 11:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Hatchback is coming back for their hybrids and diesels.
The unofficial word (though it's not yet on VW's website) is that the U.S. market will get an E-ton plug-in-hybrid hatchback late this year or sometime next year.
Old 07-09-14, 12:01 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great review,Mike.
I like the A3.
Old 07-09-14, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I think this is more 2 series competitor despite having 4 doors. Whoever consider 3 series would consider the A4 not A3. My 2 cents
Yeah, somewhat borderline. I didn't include the BMW 2-Series, though, because my review was of the American-spec A3, which only includes sedans, while the American-spec 2-Series is the opposite....it only includes coupes. But, size-wise, you may have a point.

I just wish they'll bring the hatchback S3 here in the US.
From what I could tell, they never sold the last-generation S3s here, either.
Old 07-09-14, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great review,Mike.
I like the A3.
Thanks.

Yeah....while I listed some negative features myself, just like I do with all vehicles, I thought some of the regular auto press-reviews of it panned the interior too much. Audi basically gives you your money's worth with this car...one cannot expect it to be like the A8 for that price. I definitely think, though, that the 2.0T / Quattro versions are worth the added cost.
Old 07-09-14, 12:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice review Mike, when the S3 comes out --- plz review that model

3.2L V6 no longer offered in U.S.
don't know why you stated this twice in your review as the A3 hatch or sedan never had the V6. I prefer the 3.0L supercharged V6 for other Audi models over the weak 3.2L NA motor anyway
Old 07-09-14, 12:35 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice review Mike, when the S3 comes out --- plz review that model

don't know why you stated this twice in your review as the A3 hatch or sedan never had the V6. I prefer the 3.0L supercharged V6 for other Audi models over the weak 3.2L NA motor anyway
It did, back in 2006 for few years
Old 07-09-14, 01:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The unofficial word (though it's not yet on VW's website) is that the U.S. market will get an E-ton plug-in-hybrid hatchback late this year or sometime next year.
Not really unofficial, it's on their page, just lacking timing details

http://www.audiusa.com/innovation/efficiency/e-tron
Old 07-09-14, 01:39 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing!

I just had one of these as a loaner this week, and I too disliked the sun shade. Even more so the fact that they don't extend like the ones in the A4 do, meaning they block zero sun if you are driving north and the sun is coming in on the side. (Or perhaps mine was broken. Possible in a loaner). My other complain about the interior is that the armrest on the door was practically unusable for me unless I leaned sideways on it - my elbow did not reach.

Mine was a 2.0T quattro, though, and it was very zippy. Passing on the highway was no problem - in fact, I was quite surprised by how quickly it could go 70-80. The S mode is pretty simple to engage, just pull the shift lever down, and it will tap it into S. Do it again to return to D. Manual Mode is engaged by pushing the lever to the right, and then tipping up/down to shift. I found S mode was in the same gear I would have chosen most of the time, so left it in that.

I had the standard seats, which I found to be a bit uncomfortable for me after the extremely supportive seats in my S4. Perhaps the sport seats would be better. My complaint about them is that I could not find a position which was both supportive of my lower & upper back. For reference, I am 6' 1" and ~195 lbs.

The interior is very high quality, but does has a minimalist look as its theme. This may bother some people. It's intended for a very young target audience. Audi is looking for buyers under 25 years of age, and so the design is focused on their tastes. I view it as having everything you need and nothing you don't, but it may lack a few things you'd want.

Overall it's a solid car, and it's sales are showing. It's certainly better than a 320, which I disagree with keyframe13 on the mismatch in competition. The A3 and 320 start very close to one another, with the gap closing to <$200 if you choose the A3 2.0T, and the A3 2.0T being >$1000 less if you step up to real leather in the 320, which the A3 comes with standard.. I think one would be hard pressed to choose a 320 over the A3 given this fact and the level of quality of everything in the A3.
Old 07-09-14, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not really unofficial, it's on their page, just lacking timing details

http://www.audiusa.com/innovation/efficiency/e-tron
OK, Thanks. I either didn't see it when I was on the site, or they just added it today.
Old 07-09-14, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice review Mike,
Thanks.

when the S3 comes out --- plz review that model
Sure, but don't hold your breath. Audi hasn't sent any versions of the S3 here so far....at least that I can remember.

What I'll do, if I can get a test-drive of a new S3, is just give it an-the-road write up. Since I've already reviewed the regular A3, there's no need to write another whole review on the same car with a different engine/suspension/tires.

The 3.2L V6 was offered on the 2Gen version.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-14 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Audi A3