Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are CD players in cars "outdated" by now?

Old 07-07-14, 07:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Are CD players in cars "outdated" by now?

Should cars stop offering it in favor of bluetooth or USB or aux options for portable media devices?

Is it time?

DISCUSS.
Old 07-07-14, 07:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

No they should not stop offering CD players. Aux, USB and Bluetooth are great but every once in a while I like the higher quality of a CD.
Old 07-07-14, 08:06 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i still have hundreds of cds, so no.
Old 07-07-14, 08:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think CD players will be gone within a decade.
Old 07-07-14, 08:12 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't remember the last time I used the cd player in my car.
Old 07-07-14, 08:16 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And to complement this thread:

What cars today don't offer CD players anymore in favor of portable media device inputs?

Old 07-07-14, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

cd players should be OPTIONAL on all cars. some people probably use them quite regularly, and others never. my next car will not have a cd slot if i can avoid it.
Old 07-07-14, 09:05 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Quite a few CDs are still sold. They haven't been displaced out of the market in the same manner that CDs displaced cassette, or cassete displaced eight-track, or eight-track replaced four-track.

Four-track did not replace FM/AM radios, however, which is much more like this situation. Streaming & Digital Music will not replace CDs for a while.
Old 07-07-14, 09:09 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with MPLexus, CD players are going to be out, at least as something "standard" by the end of this decade. Even downloaded music is starting to decline as people move to streaming sources.
Old 07-07-14, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Quite a few CDs are still sold. They haven't been displaced out of the market in the same manner that CDs displaced cassette, or cassete displaced eight-track, or eight-track replaced four-track.

Four-track did not replace FM/AM radios, however, which is much more like this situation. Streaming & Digital Music will not replace CDs for a while.
I agree. There are a lot of CDs still sold and there is a large population that still use them and won't go to streaming etc.

I have a USB key and an AUX source in my new car, I have yet to use either of them. Although I do connect my iPod almost every day.
Old 07-07-14, 10:17 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

CD's and players are still popular, I don't see them as outdated at all. They still offer the highest quality listening experience and are pretty much the only way to obtain a album from a store or if you don't a computer/smartphone and the means to download albums/songs. I still use my CD player all the time in my car. They should still be standard in cars, they don't cost much and don't take up much room, no need to get rid of a important music listening option for many buyers just because some people think they are outdated or there are more options to listen to music. Until there is a superior physical format for listening to albums and purchasing them at stores I don't think a CD player should not be offered in cars. Automakers should continue to refine and offer the most options possible for music/entertainment, USB drives, Bluetooth, Streaming, highest quality CD, etc. I like having physical CD's, DVD's, Blu Ray's, and albums, they have their uses and conveniences.
Old 07-07-14, 10:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I used to DJ so I have about 5400 cds between my wife and I. I also have a ton of vinyl records and a **** load of mix tapes. They are all great but yes they are outdated. I wish I could find something to convert my mix tapes to mp3
Old 07-07-14, 12:36 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I used to DJ so I have about 5400 cds between my wife and I. I also have a ton of vinyl records and a **** load of mix tapes. They are all great but yes they are outdated. I wish I could find something to convert my mix tapes to mp3
This is rather simple. Buy a quality USB sound card, open up some basic sound recording software (Audacity works well), and press play on a cassette player... then wait.

There are services that will do this for you as well, which is probably cheaper considering the time it takes to do this.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-tu...ape-into-mp3s/

http://www.audiomover.com/transfer-cassette-to-cd.php

Paying someone to do this isn't cheap - in fact it's like paying near retail price for every cassette tape! Depends on how much you value your time and the music you're trying to digitize.
Old 07-07-14, 12:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if we didnt have disc slot, where would my DVD movie go for my navi/DVD bypass module
Old 07-07-14, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No they should not stop offering CD players. Aux, USB and Bluetooth are great but every once in a while I like the higher quality of a CD.
Agreed. Long live CDs. LexsCTJill and I actually agree on something.

At my age, I don't listen to rock music as much as I used to, but as a classic ex-80s Metalhead, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, and W.A.S.P. will always have a place in my music library.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are CD players in cars "outdated" by now?