Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What speed do you typically drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?
I slow down to the speed limit to make sure the cop is at least as fast if not faster that me
46.51%
I maintain my speed which is typically a few mph above the speed limit possibly passing the cop
41.86%
I speed up to his noticeably faster-than-limit speed. Heck he's not above the law
11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

What speed do you drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 01:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

on a related note, I've seen 3 motorcycle cops and 6 total cruisers today. I can't think of anything special other than they are just out in force today.
Old 07-14-14, 04:13 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Rule number one for me, is never pass a cop !
If I'm in grey, invisible Lexus ES, I may slide past a cop doing 5 to 7 over the speed limit.

If I'm in my heavily-modded 2GS or my 4GS, I NEVER PASS A COP. They look at my GSes and simply want to make a statement, and pull me over for doing 2 mph over.
Old 07-14-14, 06:04 PM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I typically go about 10 over in normal traffic - that's the speed of traffic in the left lanes. When I see cops, I usually ease off the gas and go about 5 over instead. This has led to me slowly passing the cops a few times, and I've never had any issues with that.

It does bug me when people instinctively brake when they see cops, since almost everyone does it and the sudden deceleration often creates unsafe situations. If the cop was trying to catch people for speeding, then by the time you saw him, he would have already had your speed. Braking at that point does nothing to reduce your chance of a ticket and instead forces people behind you to react to your sudden change in speed.

Most of the time, he's already giving someone else a ticket and wouldn't be able to pull you over anyway.
Old 07-14-14, 06:51 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
On the highway in Atlanta the left two lanes are expected to run 70-80 mph with a speed limit of 55-65mph. I know I have been radar/lasered many times and wasn't pulled over. If I run over 80mph I am concerned when I see a cop...Side streets 10mph over the limit is the norm.

Pet peeves, a cop that runs the speed limit and no one is willing to pass him so there are no cars in sight ahead of the traffic jam he created.
I did pass a cop and was pulled over and told him politely that there was to much congestion around him and I just wanted to get out of it, no ticket
Exactly this.

I haven't been stopped yet for passing a cop when he is riding with traffic. Long as you don't fly past them on the highway, they don't care in most cases. They want people who they can give the super speeder ticket too.
Old 07-14-14, 07:47 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that I am older and no longer an idiot behind the wheel (meaning I no longer want to be the fastest car on the road), 10 mph above the posted limit is my target IF I am riding without a pack of cars. I have found that is a great way to really limit the chance of a speeding ticket on the routes I travel. I too dont use the brake when I slow down on seeing a CHP. I am usually in cruise control, so I simply turn it off and my speed decreases almost naturally. I wont hesitate to pass a cop on the side of the highway 5-7 mph over. In the city I am about 5 over.

Here in California, the highway travelled matters. I5 vs 99 vs 152 vs 101 vs 580/680 etc. The "acceptable" speed travelled varies, with I5 having a speed limit of 70. My last ticket was 82 in a 65 back in 2011, passing to get over on the 680/580 exchange in the east bay. Bad timing.

And YES, absolutely people brake too hard when they see a cop, and it is dangerous, especially when pack speeding. Dangerous because most people tailgate and dont follow at a safe distance. People dont want to lose their place in line, so there is a nice domino effect. Tailgating at 80 mph is not my cup of tea anymore. Following at a safe distance will get you passed and cut off by the car behind you, sadly. I speed safely these days because usually I have my family with me!

Last edited by GSthe4th; 07-14-14 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 05:43 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how they are now, but back in early to mid 2000's (before i moved away) the cops in the phoenix/tempe/scottsdale area didn't seem to care about speeders unless it was way up in the criminal range (20mph or more over in AZ). I did a ride-a-long one night with a Scottsdale cop and while sitting at a red light we watch a car zoom through the intersection, clearing way over the 35mph speedlimit. Cop didn't do ****. When I asked why his response was, "Guy probably has somewhere to be."

edit: Also cops in the phoenix metro area never carried speed guns (guessing they still don't). Only cops I ever saw with radar/ladar guns were the state highway patrolman on motorcycles.
Old 07-15-14, 03:37 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

On my loud motorcycle - slow down, don't pass him
In any car - slow to 5-10 mph over the speed limit, max
Old 07-15-14, 05:00 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a cop stops next to me at a traffic light, I am always tempted to shoot him a bird and see how he would react
Old 07-25-14, 12:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Yesterday. Speed limit 60 km/hr. Cop was going at about 55 kph in the left lane. I was on the right lane and passed him at 65 kph with my IS, 35% tints so he did notice my car . No issues, but I would not go any faster.
Old 07-25-14, 01:25 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

35%? lol down here in FL cops usually mess with you for your tints but Ive been having good luck (knocks on wood) my 535i has 5% all around and 50% on the windshield and ive never had any trouble. I got pulled over for 84 in a 65 and got off with a warning the cop didnt mention the tints.
Old 07-25-14, 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

its funny how people will claim they drive at a set speed. LOL I drive until I feel like I am moving at a good pace and rarely look down, BUT I live in the middle of the Sonoran desert.
Old 07-25-14, 02:01 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
its funny how people will claim they drive at a set speed. LOL I drive until I feel like I am moving at a good pace and rarely look down, BUT I live in the middle of the Sonoran desert.
I really want my next car to have HUD
Old 07-25-14, 02:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
35%? lol down here in FL cops usually mess with you for your tints but Ive been having good luck (knocks on wood) my 535i has 5% all around and 50% on the windshield and ive never had any trouble. I got pulled over for 84 in a 65 and got off with a warning the cop didnt mention the tints.

I usually roll down my front window when I see a cop since the black interior makes the 35% look darker and I've heard of folks getting stopped with 35% tints up front.
Old 07-25-14, 02:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I really want my next car to have HUD

A+++ I'm planning on getting the top package for the NX just for the HUD (and AVS) as it is sooo convenient. It's one of those features like Power Windows, you just can't live without once you experience it.
Old 07-25-14, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
A+++ I'm planning on getting the top package for the NX just for the HUD (and AVS) as it is sooo convenient. It's one of those features like Power Windows, you just can't live without once you experience it.
It's one of those things where I understand the GS gets it, as does the RX and HS did too but why not the sporty IS or other luxurious Lexus models. Doesn't seem fair

Quick Reply: What speed do you drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?