Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What speed do you typically drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?
I slow down to the speed limit to make sure the cop is at least as fast if not faster that me
46.51%
I maintain my speed which is typically a few mph above the speed limit possibly passing the cop
41.86%
I speed up to his noticeably faster-than-limit speed. Heck he's not above the law
11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

What speed do you drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 12:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default What speed do you drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?

How do you respond and any pet peeves on how other motorists behave in this situation?
Old 07-06-14, 12:59 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally drive 5-10 mph above speed limit, so I would slow down a little bit just to be safe.
Old 07-06-14, 03:38 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

On the highway in Atlanta the left two lanes are expected to run 70-80 mph with a speed limit of 55-65mph. I know I have been radar/lasered many times and wasn't pulled over. If I run over 80mph I am concerned when I see a cop...Side streets 10mph over the limit is the norm.

Pet peeves, a cop that runs the speed limit and no one is willing to pass him so there are no cars in sight ahead of the traffic jam he created.
I did pass a cop and was pulled over and told him politely that there was to much congestion around him and I just wanted to get out of it, no ticket
Old 07-06-14, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The normal 5-10mph over the speed limit. So I don't change how I drive though If I do notice one I downshift and slow the car down with the gears rather than brakes so my brake lights don't show and make it seem like I'm slowing because of them.
Old 07-06-14, 04:51 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
On the highway in Atlanta the left two lanes are expected to run 70-80 mph with a speed limit of 55-65mph. I know I have been radar/lasered many times and wasn't pulled over. If I run over 80mph I am concerned when I see a cop...Side streets 10mph over the limit is the norm.

Pet peeves, a cop that runs the speed limit and no one is willing to pass him so there are no cars in sight ahead of the traffic jam he created.
I did pass a cop and was pulled over and told him politely that there was to much congestion around him and I just wanted to get out of it, no ticket
I'm chuckling because this is my pet peeve too. However, I don't "blame" the cop so much as much as the driver in the next lane (usually left lane) driving parallel to him (or just in his blind spot) at the exact speed, which of course is right at the speed limit.

On occasions where the left lane was clear, I've passed the police car (slowly) at just a couple MPH above speed limit. No issues/stops ever.

EDIT: a big HOWEVER, I would not dare pass a police car going at or below speed limit in a school zone or construction zone even 1 MPH above. That's asking for it, at least in my area. They are very strict with this.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-06-14 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The normal 5-10mph over the speed limit. So I don't change how I drive though If I do notice one I downshift and slow the car down with the gears rather than brakes so my brake lights don't show and make it seem like I'm slowing because of them.
I'm with Hoovey. Drive with common sense and you usually don't have to worry about cops. They will usually allow a certain leeway above the posted limit to account for things like downgrades, speedometer error, error in the radar gun or cameras, oversize wheels/tires affecting the speedometer, unfamiliarity of driver with the area, etc......

My experience, even in areas with radar-monitoring and cameras, has been that most cops don't want to spend their time harassing people who driving close to the limit and with a reasonable amount of common sense. They are after the real speed demons and/or those who are otherwise a serious safety-hazard.
Old 07-06-14, 05:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I keep it about 5 over and just cruise. As soon as they exit I floor it. I usually floor it after seeing them on the side of the freeway pulling someone over.
Old 07-06-14, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
What speed do you drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?

Let's back up before the cop and you met. If it wasn't a radar-induced sting or trap you got caught up in and the cop was just rolling on his beat, the cop saw your color and his eyed were drawn naturally to a LOUD color like red, yellow etc where he might "trail" you and imo, the cop made a split decision on whether he will follow your bright color for a few key seconds. If you have a low key color and not LOUD color, you have helped yourself avoid being profiled in that key few seconds a cop uses to draw his eyes to his next kill which means if you have a mellow and not loud color, you have won before the game even began.

Bright colors are generally not the issue they once were, especially with sports cars. Today, Bad-A** Black is rapidly becoming the most common (and stereotype) color for aggressive drivers.
Old 07-11-14, 08:17 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Rule number one for me, is never pass a cop !
Old 07-12-14, 11:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove with a guy that when he saw a cop would slow down to 5-10mph UNDER the speed limit which would bug the shti out of me.
Old 07-12-14, 02:17 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
Rule number one for me, is never pass a cop !
exactly. Not worth the risk. I slow down to right around the speedlimit.
Old 07-13-14, 07:11 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

If I'm in the Miata, I just let it coast down to speed limit & hold it there. In the Mustang I may have to brake a bit; that thing will coast forever (also doesn't hold speed well downhill with cruise control). If I notice the police are actually speeding, I'll resume my normal speed once they pass. Otherwise, I just maintain the posted limit. I get annoyed with people that drop to 10 below the speed limit, but I can understand that some people just can't risk the ticket & want to stay on the safe side.
In general, I think the focus on speed totally misses the point anyways. Tailgating, sitting in lanes that don't make sense for your speed & the situation, & failing to signal should be much bigger concerns than whether drivers are going 55 or 70 mph.
Old 07-13-14, 07:48 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly dont care I hate it when I get stuck behind people that dont pass cops. Not saying that Im doing like 10-15 over but If Im doing about 5 over and the cop is going slower than me Im not gonna slow down its just stupid. My parents are retired cops and theyve never did it while I was in the car I dont see why I should. I never got pulled over. I did however floor it when I cop merged pff the highway but he could still see me and we made eye contact but it was too late he had already been off the highway.
Old 07-13-14, 08:21 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i'm paranoid. i got pulled over doing 72 at 65mph highway just this year. and few years ago i got pulled over for driving 6-7 mph over. so i slow down probably even below the speed limit.
Old 07-13-14, 06:06 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually drive the speed limit and never go 5 over the limit ....so i never really worry if a cop is near by.....yeah I drive like a old man.

Quick Reply: What speed do you drive when you suddenly notice a cop is driving near you?