Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Truck: End of the (Ridge)line

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 12:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Honda Truck: End of the (Ridge)line

After nearly a decade of production, the car-based Honda Ridgeline will finally be phased out. While the manufacturer was originally supposed to keep the truck in its lineup until the next generation was ready, slow sales numbers convinced them to axe the Ridgeline at the end of 2014.

This news might sadden some enthusiasts, but for the majority of buyers, the Ridgeline was simply outdated. It had pleasantly surprised us when it came out, offering a nice compromise between a car and a full-size pickup truck.

However, as the years went on, the competition steadily improved, before finally overtaking Honda and its pickup. Now, the competition offers better fuel economy and nicer interiors. Meanwhile, the only update Honda made on the Ridgeline was a new front end in 2009.

But if you are in the market for a new Honda truck in the next year, there might still be hope: rumors are floating around about a new version of the Ridgeline that could be direct competition for the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon…
Old 07-04-14, 01:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well......I can just see and hear the "Good Riddances" coming. I know there are a lot of people on CAR CHAT who didn't think much of the Ridgeline (I won't mention any names....they know who they are).

I myself had a lot of respect for its build-quality, features, and some clever innovations. But I agree that some other trucks (especially today) do offer more for the money when it comes to things that many people actually buy pickups for.
Old 07-04-14, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank god this Ridge line disaster is done. Now Honda should focus on cars an the Acura division.

GM did a lot of this experimental crap with the Avalanche, Envoy retractable roof etc stuff and look where it got tbem, no further ahead.
Old 07-04-14, 02:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Because I'm not a pickup guy, no pickups appeal to me as a buyer, but the Ridgeline was the only one that ever-so-slightly appealed to me due to its car-roots construction and certain design elements, but never enough to even step into a Honda dealer to even sit in one, let alone consider for purchase. RIP.
Old 07-04-14, 07:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Good riddance.

Want a truck? Buy a damn truck. Don't buy this little cutesy thing and go around talking about your new 'truck'.
Old 07-04-14, 07:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It was basically a Pilot with a bed. Competent trucklette and assembled well. Other than that they let it age out and never did anything significant to it to really justify keeping it
Old 07-04-14, 07:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
trucklette
Hahaha. That is awesome!
Old 07-06-14, 09:06 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They announced this gap in production a long time ago. Current gen ends now and then next gen will debut late next year as a 2016.

It did well to bring a lot of creature comforts and ride comfort to a midsize truck segment. I was undone by some unfortunate styling that was largely necessitated with the unibody construction as well as the front end, and less than impressive fuel economy (but the Tacoma and Frontier aren't much better).

It really is a better all around vehicle for the way a lot of truck owners actually use their trucks: 99% personal transportation with a light duty need for an open bed.
Old 07-07-14, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317

It really is a better all around vehicle for the way a lot of truck owners actually use their trucks: 99% personal transportation with a light duty need for an open bed.
No way, a true pick up truck is so much better.
Old 07-07-14, 09:06 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
For people actually substantially loading and utilizing capability yes, the larger trucks are better. But for personal transportation, the Ridgeline was quite good when it debuted. It provided a much smoother on-road ride, a lot of flexible cabin space and amenities (that the others have now all also started to offer), as well as quality, reliability, and durability. It also is one of the only trucks that offers true all-wheel drive that can be used on the road at any time without fear of binding up the differentials, which is what most people are looking for in inclement areas.

Unfortunately sales fell off a cliff after the first year, limiting Honda's ability to continue updating the product. I'm quite surprised they're sticking to their guns and developing a 2nd generation, but I think with more conventional styling cues, it could actually do quite well.
Old 07-07-14, 09:11 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
^this.

My folks now have the rare use for their F350, but when those occasions pop up, I wouldn't trust anything less.

Ridgeline owners are the truck world equivalent of white people celebrating Cinco De Mayo.
Old 07-07-14, 09:40 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I think a Honda version of the El Camino (2 doors) would be fun to see on the road
Old 07-07-14, 10:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There are rumors of a replacement coming out in the next few years, it may even possibly be based on a truck frame.

The Ridgeline was a very innovative vehicle and excellent for what it was, a pickup that drove and handled more like a car but was still capable off road and had decent towing capability. The people who bought them love them, I see quite a few of them on the road, I talked my friend into getting one and he loves it. The Ridgeline was never going to appeal to traditional big truck/engine big 3 buyers but for people who can't afford to have a separate truck, still need a vehicle to haul stuff or tow on occasion, and want something with the ride, handling, and feel of a car the Ridgeline is a great vehicle. While sales never exploded they were decent, better then many other Honda vehicles. The Ridgeline has a decent sized loyal base, they should not kill it, more power, more gears, and better styling would make a nice upgrade.

Get rid of the Crosstour instead.
Old 07-07-14, 03:59 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDel
There are rumors of a replacement coming out in the next few years, it may even possibly be based on a truck frame.

The Ridgeline was a very innovative vehicle and excellent for what it was, a pickup that drove and handled more like a car but was still capable off road and had decent towing capability. The people who bought them love them, I see quite a few of them on the road, I talked my friend into getting one and he loves it. The Ridgeline was never going to appeal to traditional big truck/engine big 3 buyers but for people who can't afford to have a separate truck, still need a vehicle to haul stuff or tow on occasion, and want something with the ride, handling, and feel of a car the Ridgeline is a great vehicle. While sales never exploded they were decent, better then many other Honda vehicles. The Ridgeline has a decent sized loyal base, they should not kill it, more power, more gears, and better styling would make a nice upgrade.

Get rid of the Crosstour instead.
I have a Ridgeline and it is a great truck. It seats 5 in a pinch, has a good albeit small bed, and an extremely useful, lockable trunk under the bed. I currently use it to haul materials to and from job sites and occasionally to get groceries and drive people around, although a new minivan is currently the primary grocery getter and kid hauler these days. I would like to replace it with another truck, but there isn't anything out there that is as useful to me. I don't need to tow anything (and on the rare occasion I do, I could easily borrow or rent something), and I don't really want a full size pickup to drive around the city due to the size and increased difficulty in parking. I've driven plenty of trucks and like Tundras, F-150s (particularly the Raptor), and Tacomas, but they don't suit my needs the way the Ridgeline does. I know it's not a great looking truck per se, but I have practical concerns beyond appearance that the Ridgeline addresses better than any other. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me out there that end up with something almost as useful and more popular, like a Tacoma, but I really do hope that Honda comes out with a new Ridgeline.

But hey, people have their opinions about vehicles as you can see on this thread, even if they have no experience with the particular vehicle. I'm guilty of the same: +1 on killing the Crosstour even though I've never driven one, lol.
Old 07-07-14, 06:05 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

FWD truck, yeah genius on Honda's part

Quick Reply: Honda Truck: End of the (Ridge)line