Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 06:47 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
If Toyota does indeed "shock the world with it" and the tech will be "light years ahead" of everyone else and revolutionary, then I will once again be an LS owner.
I figured this would be the only explanation, as no one would undertake delaying a replacement and not plan to wow the industry. Otherwise a late 2013 LS redesign would have just sufficed instead of the 2012 facelift. Efficiency and performance seem to be a key focus, which sounds like Akio Toyoda's typical ideal's. I trust at least Toyota/Lexus not to make the same damaging mistakes that Jaguar once did under Ford ownership.

Ford canceled a state of the art XJ in 1990 that was due in 1994 (I6, V8, V12 engines) and replacing it with a heavy facelift (X300) that lasted another 8-9 years. The "replacement" (X350) came way too late. Jaguar has yet to fully recover from that terrible decision, even with the "trendy" exterior of the X351 variant (2010-17). The next model in 2017 will long eradicate that problem and truly all-new.

Congratulations on your new W222 by the way, as it's a lovely car from what Ive experienced here and there the past 9 months. Although an excellent and trend-setting redesign, it is possible the next S-Class might be the largest S-Class revolution since the W140 and W220 (the latter was a negative one).
Old 07-19-14, 10:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree cmk1 on all points. I'm excited for the next S-class to reap the benefits of the MRA platform.
Old 07-20-14, 04:46 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

No one seems to be interested in speculating what the next LS will look like, but only what it will have. I am thinking it might be a very tasteful revolution with evolutionary cues, in still utilizing the spindle grille. I am going to spend the next few weeks of my "limited" free time sketching and drafting my own proposals for it in AutoCAD, since no mags have done so yet.

Also maybe a GS-based 4 door coupe. Never considered any of this before, due to conflict of interest.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I agree cmk1 on all points. I'm excited for the next S-class to reap the benefits of the MRA platform.
The W220/W221/W222 are all related to each other to some percentage, unlike the W140 and W126. The XF40 at least shares nothing with the XF30 LS430, so one can understand why it's better to have a 10-year life cycle.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-20-14 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Quoted TangoRed
Old 07-20-14, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

the ls is already a great looking vehicle. like the s-class this last time around, maybe all the ls needs is a big makeover exterior-wise vs. a completely different design.

i'm sure whatever lexus decides it will be at least decent looking, but it will be the tech, the telematics, the safety, and the drivetrain that will make the difference. is the adaptive suspension more advanced? is the nav (finally) best in class or competitive? will an inevitable hybrid version be a lot less porky with a more useful trunk than the current (and still amazing) LS600hL?
Old 07-20-14, 03:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the ls is already a great looking vehicle. like the s-class this last time around, maybe all the ls needs is a big makeover exterior-wise vs. a completely different design.

i'm sure whatever lexus decides it will be at least decent looking, but it will be the tech, the telematics, the safety, and the drivetrain that will make the difference. is the adaptive suspension more advanced? is the nav (finally) best in class or competitive? will an inevitable hybrid version be a lot less porky with a more useful trunk than the current (and still amazing) LS600hL?
interestingly enough, Lexus Europe heads at NX introduction said that LS wont get 4cly options but might get Fuel Cell powertrain when they make one powerful enough (2020's and beyond).
Old 07-20-14, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Porsche is supposedly almost done with the new 911 exterior. They worked on it the day after the 991 debuted. Supposed to be radical FYI...
The basic shape of the 911, of course, goes all the way back to 1964........and the VW's Beetle's basic shape to 1936. So much for the idea in autodom that whatever doesn't change dies.
Old 07-20-14, 03:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The basic shape of the 911, of course, goes all the way back to 1964........and the VW's Beetle's basic shape to 1936. So much for the idea in autodom that whatever doesn't change dies.
It doesn't apply to all cars. Just a very select few.
Old 07-20-14, 05:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
while we can see some design cues in the 911 from way back to today, the cars really are completely different.

the same can be said for the mustang, the beetle like you said, and a few others, but not many.

for me, almost all car design does not age well. i believe car makers and designers/engineers do a great job of obsoleting old designs. a lot of it is technological of course, there's materials and manufacturing methods that simply didn't exist decades ago.
Old 07-20-14, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

while we can see some design cues in the 911 from way back to today, the cars really are completely different.
Sure they are different under the skin (way different), but my point is that unlike some of the claims that are often made, car-styling does not have to evolve or die. I've seen MANY styling changes made just for the sake of change, without any real good coming out of it.

the same can be said for the mustang, the beetle like you said, and a few others, but not many.
Unlike the Beetle, the Mustang radically changed its classic 1960s styling in 1971, and, despite some hints here and there, did not truly return to it until about 8-10 years ago. The Beetle, of course, was not sold at all in the U.S. between 1979 and 1998, and, when it returned, it had some of the classic Beetle shape, but was a completely different liquid-cooled FWD platform under the skin.
Old 07-20-14, 11:16 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for me, almost all car design does not age well. i believe car makers and designers/engineers do a great job of obsoleting old designs. a lot of it is technological of course, there's materials and manufacturing methods that simply didn't exist decades ago.
Designs aging well is dependant on how well the core basics like proportions are done. The formula for proper proportions changes little, but not everyone follows it.
Old 07-20-14, 11:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
No one seems to be interested in speculating what the next LS will look like, but only what it will have. I am thinking it might be a very tasteful revolution with evolutionary cues, in still utilizing the spindle grille. I am going to spend the next few weeks of my "limited" free time sketching and drafting my own proposals for it in AutoCAD, since no mags have done so yet.

Also maybe a GS-based 4 door coupe. Never considered any of this before, due to conflict of interest.

Any ideas?

Make sure to watermark it
Old 07-21-14, 12:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Designs aging well is dependant on how well the core basics like proportions are done. The formula for proper proportions changes little, but not everyone follows it.
i have no idea what you mean, there's always been vehicles of all shapes, sizes, and proportions. no idea what you mean by 'core basics' or 'proper proportions'.
Old 07-21-14, 07:02 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pre-facelift XF40 LS was arguably the most L-finesse oriented Lexus. But the 2IS, 3GS & previous ES also had heavy L-finesse influence.

I hope Lexus cuts back a little on aggression and puts greater emphasis on elegance..
Old 07-21-14, 07:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
I hope Lexus cuts back a little on aggression and puts greater emphasis on elegance..
agreed.

but the f/f-sport / non-f split is their strategy to have more and less 'aggressive' designs.
Old 07-21-14, 08:23 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have no idea what you mean, there's always been vehicles of all shapes, sizes, and proportions. no idea what you mean by 'core basics' or 'proper proportions'.
This is proper proportions:

Yes the body lines and graphics are old by today's standards, but the proportions have changed little.

Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow