Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 05:36 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
An often-used reason, of course, is keeping up with the Jones's.
yup. happens all the time. see it everywhere from my neighborhood to my workplace.
Old 07-10-14, 10:03 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm not a big fan of the current LS, but i'm sure it's still a great car. I think the main problem is that people who usually buys cars in this segment are pretty much just looking for the silver arrow. I think the S550 just exudes luxury. It's a great looking car and has all the comfort creatures that just puts it over the top. It'd be my choice if I can afford a car in this segment
Old 07-11-14, 07:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

What people don't realize though is that the S550 is a lot more expensive than the LS. I'm still not certain that people spending over 100k on an S550 are cross shopping it with an average priced LS of about $80k.
Old 07-11-14, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
What people don't realize though is that the S550 is a lot more expensive than the LS. I'm still not certain that people spending over 100k on an S550 are cross shopping it with an average priced LS of about $80k.
iirc S550 starts around $99K and typically optioned is around $120K
Old 07-11-14, 11:33 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Give me a LS AWD F-Sport with 450hp+ and I will cross shop it with the S regardless of price.....
Old 07-11-14, 11:48 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The U.S.-specific 2014 S550 was $92,900 and the 2015 model went up by $1,500 to $94,400.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
iirc S550 starts around $99K and typically optioned is around $120K
Originally Posted by J.P.
Give me a LS AWD F-Sport with 450hp+ and I will cross shop it with the S regardless of price.....
And that would be a very, very wise decision. Looking at all these warranted delays, I'm sure it will be in that range or higher. The LS since its inception, if you factor in the value-for-money, reliability, and equal level of equipment, has always been the better than the S-Class (i.e. UCF30 vs W220, XF40 (2006-09) vs W221 (2005-09).

Anyone who has no brand ties or favoritism, would be extremely senseless to not cross shop the LS with the S-Class.
Old 07-11-14, 12:03 PM
LexFather

Hey cmk1 great perspective and I honestly am not really disagreeing with you outside of the point that the 1989 LS won't happen again. Ever. The only people possibly would be the Chinese in 20 years or so. Hyundai/Kia could not come close to replicating it even with the price advantage.

I just think it is a false expectation to have and again, we have people in here complaining the LS is "cheap" so if Lexus undercuts the competitors again they will again post that monkey crap up.

1989 was 1989, the LS 400 was historic, chosen by many experts in the field as one of the top 100 influential cars of all time. It clearly completely altered the shape of the luxury field. I don't expect any new LS to do that because most every brand is fully awake.

Never have I stated the LS is superior in my reviews and posts. Never have I stated it has no negatives. Quite frankly my LS has the lowest V-8 power and also the lowest rated MPG. I would like massaging seats. I would like red leather. I would like the rear entertainment package on the F-sport.

For my needs, the LS 460 F-sport is perfect and its surpassed all expectations I had. I envy previous LS owners who had the opportunity to own it over the years!! What a car! If there was no F-sport I would not be driving a LS. Lexus is on to something here

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by LexFather; 07-11-14 at 12:11 PM.

Old 07-11-14, 04:33 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

In the grand scheme of things the LS is doing great, I mean it really is a 8yrs old car yet it is outselling most newer rivals. That is a testimonial to how good & timeless it is.

The XF40 LS makes the W-221 S-class seem like a chrysler product in comparison, despite the fact they the W221 is actually newer than the XF40 LS

And I have no doubt in my mind that the next LS will be another extraordinary LS

Last edited by yowps3; 07-11-14 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-11-14, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The XF40 LS makes the W-221 S-class seem like a chrysler product in comparison, despite the fact they the W221 is actually newer than the XF40 LS
how so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede...282005-2013.29

s class was introduced in fall 2005, on sale the same year, started going oveseas the next year and hit the US first as 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_L...ion_.28XF40.29

in fall 2005, lexus introduced the ls hybrid concept, but the car wasn't shown until beginning of 06 and sold also first sold as 2007.

i do agree the base s class interior is more on the bland side, though i also know handful of people who like the s class interior layout over the ls (to me pros and cons in both). but if you use a picture of the top of the line s class vs ls, i think it's a much closer match (of course, that will be s600/s65 with a much higher price tag, no doubt)
Old 07-11-14, 09:02 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
In the grand scheme of things the LS is doing great, I mean it really is a 8yrs old car yet it is outselling most newer rivals. That is a testimonial to how good & timeless it is.

And I have no doubt in my mind that the next LS will be another extraordinary LS
and you had to choose the worst possible picture for s class interior.

i personally liked the last gen interior. simple, elegant, and top quality material. chrysler product? that's ridiculous.

Old 07-13-14, 06:49 PM
LexFather

Tom's did a great job with their LS F-sport upgrades..... you don't have to keep it stock

Old 07-13-14, 07:53 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

"Smith believes most S-Class sales are to brand loyalists who wait for a new generation of the sedan"

I guess I am an exception to the S-Class sales being brand loyalists. I had been a very loyal LS guy, but I think that Mr., Smith is dead wrong here. I believe, I am far from being the only one to change allegiance from the LS to the brand new W222 S class.

I also believe that he is wrong when he says, “The things that I notice: the (pillow-like) headrests, the (scent) generator, the (LED interior) lighting, all that stuff is incremental improvements, but they’re certainly not game-changers,” he says, adding every entrant in the segment pretty much is now on even footing in terms of performance and handling and looking for ways to differentiate themselves.

I think Brian Smith is nuts on his line of thinking above. The new S Class is indeed a game changer and left every other luxury brand in the dust. Mr. Smith conveniently left out the semi-autonomous driving and the amazing safety features of the new S Class. There are many who now think that the new S Class is a better car than the Rolls or the Bentley for a hell of a lot less money.
Old 07-13-14, 10:44 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
"Smith believes most S-Class sales are to brand loyalists who wait for a new generation of the sedan"

I guess I am an exception to the S-Class sales being brand loyalists. I had been a very loyal LS guy, but I think that Mr., Smith is dead wrong here. I believe, I am far from being the only one to change allegiance from the LS to the brand new W222 S class.

I also believe that he is wrong when he says, “The things that I notice: the (pillow-like) headrests, the (scent) generator, the (LED interior) lighting, all that stuff is incremental improvements, but they’re certainly not game-changers,” he says, adding every entrant in the segment pretty much is now on even footing in terms of performance and handling and looking for ways to differentiate themselves.

I think Brian Smith is nuts on his line of thinking above. The new S Class is indeed a game changer and left every other luxury brand in the dust. Mr. Smith conveniently left out the semi-autonomous driving and the amazing safety features of the new S Class. There are many who now think that the new S Class is a better car than the Rolls or the Bentley for a hell of a lot less money.
The new S-class was not a monumental leap, it's still based on the old one after all.
Old 07-14-14, 06:23 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The new S-class was not a monumental leap, it's still based on the old one after all.
IMO I feel it's a huge monumental leap. I don't know one car that offers the amount options and features.
It's hard to trump the KING when you’re already the KING.
When you begin to look at the brochure you realize this car is the epitome of luxury.

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...14-S-Class.pdf

I also feel Mr. Smith is full of B.S. Every car company should worry about the other regardless. While I feel the next LS will be nice. In order for it to match the S class. Lexus is going to have to up the price.
Old 07-14-14, 06:48 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Was in a new S63 this weekend, have to say, it did feel like it was on another level but for the price, it should be.

Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow