Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 09:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Agree. Our Model S is currently being built. If we like it, we will also buy the Model X. Lexus loses out on my business. I previously owned 3 Lexus models and i loved them all, but i will never buy a spindle product. It is hideous compared to my Aston Martin's grill. Current lexus design language is too loud for my tastes, it leans too much towards the trendy looks of a hyundai. When i pay 80k for a car, i am looking for elegance and luxury...unless it's a lamborghini.
Which is your opinion on design and a fair point. Lexus has lost some previous fans and customers because Of the spindle. They are very very we'll aware the new design direction is not for everyone and it should not be, it's bold and creates engagement and controversy.

That said Lexus sold more cars last year than ever in history and sales continue to climb. Obviously It's working. The new design is attracting new people to the brand who thought their previous designs were staid and boring.

Where you see hideous I see aggressive and distinctive and beautiful.

Old 07-05-14, 09:55 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Which is your opinion on design and a fair point. Lexus has lost some previous fans and customers because Of the spindle. They are very very we'll aware the new design direction is not for everyone and it should not be, it's bold and creates engagement and controversy.

That said Lexus sold more cars last year than ever in history and sales continue to climb. Obviously It's working. The new design is attracting new people to the brand who thought their previous designs were staid and boring.

Where you see hideous I see aggressive and distinctive and beautiful.
I respect your opinion and that you back it up with sales facts. I grew up a Supra/Lexus fanboy and would love to get back into the brand. I hope the future designs tone it down just a little bit.
Old 07-05-14, 10:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
I respect your opinion and that you back it up with sales facts. I grew up a Supra/Lexus fanboy and would love to get back into the brand. I hope the future designs tone it down just a little bit.
Likewise. You are a longtime member and just got an amazing Tesla. Your opinion on the spindle design is more than fair. To a lot of people it is hideous. I assume you will agree with me that the Model S is a beautiful car, electric or not. The design is fabulous.

Let's hope we do get a new Supra soon!

Old 07-05-14, 11:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

To let one of your signature cars fall by the wayside is certainly a mistake. In order to fully be competitve and remain ontop today, one must address every model in the line-up, from top to bottom. It baffles me why Lexus would pour so much attention and effort into all their other models, but leave the fabled LS in the dark. Lucky for them, their most direct and traditional competitor- the Q45, isn't even in the scene anymore. That helps soften the blow a bit.
Old 07-06-14, 12:36 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Can you please post the total Lexus vehicle sales per year so we can see how many total Lexus vehicle sales are made alongside LS sales
Total Lexus sales in U.S.

1990 62,340
1991 54,897
1992 98,334
1993 99,666
1994 78,238
1995 85,551
1996 75,633
1997 92,363
1998 110,580
1999 200,214
2000 204,663
2001 223,983
2002 234,109
2003 259,755
2004 287,927
2005 302,895
2006 322,434
2007 329,177
2008 259,422
2009 215,975
2010 229,329
2011 198,552
2012 244,166
2013 273,847
2014 138,689 YTD Jan-Jun

The LS is the fourth highest selling vehicle in the Lexus line-up...

Last edited by Trexus; 07-06-14 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-06-14, 01:28 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The quality of the materials in the Model-S interior are of very low quality.

For the price they ask the cabin materials are to be much better..
Old 07-06-14, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3

This is my issue with the Tesla. I love it, it looks awesome, the tech would work great for me because I drive all day for work, but I park in a garage at home and can charge, and my garage at work has EV charging stations. It would really work well for me, and we have the Jeep to take on trips.

But, I can't get past the interior. The massive screens are great, but the rest of the interior is just HORRIBLE for a car of that price point. I spend a lot of time in my car, and the inside of the Tesla isn't a place I want to spend a lot of time, regardless of how awesome the vehicle or the concept is.
Old 07-06-14, 09:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3

two factors here... weight, and cost of power train. so cabin took a back seat.

Originally Posted by Trexus
Total Lexus sales in U.S.
1998 110,580
1999 200,214
i guess that huge jump was launch of rx and 2gs. go figure i owned both vehicles.
Old 07-06-14, 10:51 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i guess that huge jump was launch of rx and 2gs. go figure i owned both vehicles.
You are correct. When the NX and RC come out sales will also increase as well...
Old 07-06-14, 10:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
You are correct. When the NX and RC come out sales will also increase as well...
next year will see new RX and maybe late 2015 new TX? It should be top sales year really.
Old 07-06-14, 01:01 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is my issue with the Tesla. I love it, it looks awesome, the tech would work great for me because I drive all day for work, but I park in a garage at home and can charge, and my garage at work has EV charging stations. It would really work well for me, and we have the Jeep to take on trips.

But, I can't get past the interior. The massive screens are great, but the rest of the interior is just HORRIBLE for a car of that price point. I spend a lot of time in my car, and the inside of the Tesla isn't a place I want to spend a lot of time, regardless of how awesome the vehicle or the concept is.
Actually massive LCD is nice only during daytime, at night it's a thing of getting used to. Its like having a TV screen by your side. One day all displays inside of any car will be good quality AMOLED but until that day comes we will have to endure LCD glow that strains are eyes at night and makes us more tired.

Lack of interior features and quality is the reason why Tesla S is somewhat affordable. Its a nice product but still in beta phase if you ask me. They are still working out little quirks as well as other things.
Old 07-06-14, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

May very well be, haven't seen one in the dark but that makes sense.
Old 07-06-14, 05:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

high sales or low sales, I would buy another LS in the future and fully intend on going back when my kids get a little older.
Old 07-06-14, 06:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
high sales or low sales, I would buy another LS in the future and fully intend on going back when my kids get a little older.
You might have to change your call sign, though (I8ABMR), when that happens. The typical LS, though indeed a superb luxury car, is not designed to go around eating Bimmers.
Old 07-06-14, 06:34 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Oh yes, a serious LS discussion! For such a young fellow, it is my favorite Lexus model next to the LX. It represents what Lexus is and why I came to CL over 2 years ago. I was extremely sad and infuriated when all my endless, obsessive speculation of a fall 2012/2013 redesign, died abruptly with the heavily facelifted XF40.

Sadly, it seems another 12-15 months will be required to wait for a lick of anything new LS. Usually Japanese magazines render future upper-end Lexus models as the body design process closes out with the final "production freeze", so hopefully we'll see something in a few months if indeed scheduled for CY2016.

Working in vehicle design nowadays, I can say that sometimes 3rd parties may be invited to view a vehicle design proposal and then work from memory to recreate it outside of the restricted access environment. That can be very difficult when one is not focused on body detailing, but instead taking in the moment. This can sometimes occur earlier on and be based on a long discarded design proposal.

I will say, that Lexus needs to get away from always trying to undercut the German brands on MSRP. The idea that Lexus must always be the bargain alternative might be hurting greater prestige of the LS. This can allow for a bit more investment in vehicle content and material grade, so that the LS is more competitive and stands taller on the customization front.

An 8-10% percent difference in price should suffice between an LS V8 LWB vs an S550. I had mentioned earlier that someone involved with Toyota-BMW collaboration, commented on LS development in Aichi being very busy. Considering that the SC is barely making it to full-scale clay this year, the next LS is more ahead and parallel to a recently leaked development, the next Land Cruiser/LX 300-Series (due in 2016).

Already in design clinics since the spring, meaning a sign-off to ready for testing, prototype building, and production is near. Nothing regarding a late 2015 launch is possible anymore, as by now one would see XF40-based test mules.

Lexus and Jaguar will be bringing out extremely competitive flagships that will hamper the A8 (D5) and G11/12 7-Series presence in the world market and hopefully affect the facelifted W222 S-Class. I can personally vouch for the latter company, regarding future plans. Speaking of world markets, Lexus has minimal presence in some wealthy pockets of Africa, C. & S. America, and Asia, compared to the likes of Daimler, BMW, and VAG.

This does not help overall sales, especially as much of Europe struggles and economic growth continues in these areas Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha ignores. For example, the Lexus is a cherished brand alongside Mercedes-Benz in the likes of Nigeria, with many grey importing the LS since 1990. As well as the RX, GX, and most of the all the very much loved and exalted LX. The latter (w/its Toyota cousin) is very popular amongst my immediate and extended family due to terrain and some bad roads. At JLR, one works very hard to correct supplier and engineering errors, that lead to poor reliability alongside Toyota's Land Cruiser range in international markets.

Lack of official service centres and at least one national dealership ruins possibilities. In such countries in Africa/Asia/etc., it isn't of concern whether Lexus offers a diesel LS power train or not. That country (Nigeria) may have its problems, but there are also a number of other regions where Lexus could have a customer base if at least 1 million of the populace can afford Lexus products. I don't see why they haven't made moves, especially when niche brands Jaguar, Rolls-Royce & Bentley (since 1931), and Porsche have long set up shop in Lagos.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 07-07-14 at 04:33 PM. Reason: That country "(Nigeria)" may have its problems, but

Quick Reply: Lexus Unfazed by LS Decline as S Class, Model S Grow