Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What cars have Forward Collision Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 03:54 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-06-14, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Very interesting. IIHS is testing and rating these systems now:

This will improve quality.
Old 07-06-14, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And thats just it, it can happen to anybody. We all like to think that we're such good drivers its impossible for us to rear end someone, but all it takes is a split second. Even if you don't text while driving or fiddle with the nav system. Glancing down to pick up your drink, or glancing over at your passenger at the wrong moment and thats all it takes. This technology protects us from that...assuming it doesnt kill us with false alarms!
Old 07-06-14, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I am all for more safety features.
Guess it depends on how much you are for them....and how much one is willing (or able) to pay. Seems to me that if you really felt that strongly, and could afford it, you would probably have sprung for an (admittedly) more expensive Volvo or Mercedes instead of a Corolla. Not that there's anything wrong with a Corolla per se.......given the Corolla's price-range, it has a reasonable number of safety-features for its cost, but one could hardly call it state of the art. One cannot, of course, expect Mercedes S-class safety-features for a 20K sticker-price.

I don't say this to try and tell you something you don't already know...you probably do know it. But my point is that people, with a car, sometimes want features that they are either unwilling to pay for or can't afford on their particular budget.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But just because everybody cannot afford these technologies now, they aren't worth developing? They start out on high dollar cars, but trickle down.
Old 07-06-14, 09:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But just because everybody cannot afford these technologies now, they aren't worth developing? They start out on high dollar cars, but trickle down.
Similar to the self parking feature found on the LS can be found on a Focus and ironically the feature has been dropped from the LS
Old 07-06-14, 10:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I not sure what mmarshall is trying to get at, but yes, safety technology usually starts on the high dollar cars and eventually they trickle down to the lower end.

Safety features are worth developing, the more the better, even if the price of a car goes up.
Old 07-07-14, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I not sure what mmarshall is trying to get at, but yes, safety technology usually starts on the high dollar cars and eventually they trickle down to the lower end.

Safety features are worth developing, the more the better, even if the price of a car goes up.
OK.....what I'm getting at is that you say you want safety features, even at a higher cost. Yet you bought a lower-priced compact that, while admittedly well-equipped with safety features by yesterday's standards, lacks a number of features that you will find on today's Volvos or Mercedes. Why you chose a Corolla is your business......it's your money and choice, and, except for what you yourself want to share with us, your fellow CL members, is none of our business. You don't have to defend that choice. But what I was saying is that, verbally, you espouse a lot of safety features, but, apparently, either can't afford to or don't want to pay for a new car with state-of-the-art features like a top-line Volvo or Mercedes. That's your choice (I'm not criticizing it......but I'm just pointing out at least a minor inconsistency)