Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2014 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-14, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I stumbled across some hybrid specific sales data

http://www.hybridcars.com/june-2014-dashboard/

Here are some numbers for the RWD based hybrid cars

Q50 242
5 series 18
GS 15
3 series 13
E class 13
Infiniti M 11
7 Series 6
LS 5

Not much action in these models in general but at least the Q50 hybrid moves in a volume that would be supportable when a company looks at product mix.
Apples to Oranges. The Q50 base MSRP is below most of those cars and loaded its still below where most of them start. So obviously it should sell better, especially with attractive lease rates and it is the newest model.

I am not sure what Infiniti planned for its sales mix but that is around 10% which sounds about right. IMO it is a really well done on paper sans all the issues it has. Great styling, 360hp, 30 MPG or so at 50 grand is super attractive to me.

Also one month never paints an accurate picture, it is a nice note though.

In regards to the GS 450h, Lexus did nothing to promote it at all outside of a few car reviews and a ad here and there in some chic magazine. Again if the F-sport was offered here we would have gotten one. Shame it's a Euro/JDM thing only.

Its also why I don't understand for the life of me why Acura even when into this market with the RLX hybrid. These cars do not sell at all and a 70k Acura hybrid will sell in even less quantities. Not even sure why they would invest in it.

Old 07-17-14, 08:04 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't get the RLX in general

Not stylish, no power advantage and FWD based

I am not trying to say too much from the data. I had not seen a break out of the Q50 hybrid sales so it was kind of interesting to see how the so called luxury hybrid sedans are doing (or should I say not doing)

From this info, Lexus really isn't doing worse than the other luxury brands around their price point.

Does anyone know if any of the BMW or MB hybrids come in AWD?

I would also like to see the mix of Q50 hybrids sold in awd vs rwd as my guess is most are the awd flavor
Old 07-22-14, 01:38 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I stumbled across some hybrid specific sales data

http://www.hybridcars.com/june-2014-dashboard/

Here are some numbers for the RWD based hybrid cars

Q50 242
5 series 18
GS 15
3 series 13
E class 13
Infiniti M 11
7 Series 6
LS 5

Not much action in these models in general but at least the Q50 hybrid moves in a volume that would be supportable when a company looks at product mix.
I'm not sure you can compare the Q to the rest because you can also get the Q50 Hybrid in AWD (and with the Sport package!!).

Offering your model in various trims/spec increases their appeal to a much wider demographic. Something for everyone. I don't know why manufacturers spend so much time engineering hybrid systems and then limit their marketability by not offering them with the sport package (like the US 4GS). It definitely hurts hybrid sales and perpetuates the hybrid stereotypes.

Last edited by blacksun; 07-22-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 04:37 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Blacksun,

I agree with you.

The Q50 hybrid appealed to me because I could get the sport package and AWD.

From my Chicagoland sampling, most folks by far get the premium version.

The numbers just show there can be some play for a luxury performance hybrid, though most of the offerings from the key luxury brands have a very low (almost nothing) take rate.

I still think the lack of AWD in the other cars listed is keeping sales from where they should be. Let's see how the GS hybrid with AWD does when it arrives (I have to believe if will more than double the current sales).
Old 07-22-14, 05:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

What is keeping the GS450h sales low and making it factory order only vehicle is the price. It is some $10-15k more expensive than GS350. AWD would make that just worse.

ES300h has no problems with selling 20-25% of overall ES sales, while being $2.5k more expensive.
Old 07-22-14, 07:13 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think the lack of AWD in the other cars listed is keeping sales from where they should be. Let's see how the GS hybrid with AWD does when it arrives (I have to believe if will more than double the current sales).
So, 30 then?
It's still nothing. A GS460 with the current body style would have moved at least 100 units/month (at least). Yea, the GS450h maybe is priced too high or whatever, but in my opinion Lexus has not pushed the performance advantage of the hybrid enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade over the GS350. It sort of sits as a tweener between performance and efficiency, and doesn't necessary excel in either department. It's no wonder the ES300h is selling as well as it is (huge mpg benefit) and the Q50 is selling as well as it is (huge performance benefit & great mpg - priced well).

I think Lexus needs to rethink this strategy for the GS quite a bit. All of their German competitors still offer a V8 option, not to mention a performance V8 option. If they want to be taken seriously in this class, they need to bring back a standard V8 option for this model. I guess this horse has been beaten to death already, but I think this hybrid just isn't doing what they expected. It's too low volume to make it worthwhile even selling. It's probably less profitable as well than what they would profit off a GS460.

Oh, and they need to stop airing commercials poking fun at the 5 Series, saying it comes standard with a 4 cylinder engine, when the whole world clearly knows that a 550i and M5 exist
Old 07-23-14, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
So, 30 then?
It's still nothing. A GS460 with the current body style would have moved at least 100 units/month (at least). Yea, the GS450h maybe is priced too high or whatever, but in my opinion Lexus has not pushed the performance advantage of the hybrid enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade over the GS350. It sort of sits as a tweener between performance and efficiency, and doesn't necessary excel in either department. It's no wonder the ES300h is selling as well as it is (huge mpg benefit) and the Q50 is selling as well as it is (huge performance benefit & great mpg - priced well).

I think Lexus needs to rethink this strategy for the GS quite a bit. All of their German competitors still offer a V8 option, not to mention a performance V8 option. If they want to be taken seriously in this class, they need to bring back a standard V8 option for this model. I guess this horse has been beaten to death already, but I think this hybrid just isn't doing what they expected. It's too low volume to make it worthwhile even selling. It's probably less profitable as well than what they would profit off a GS460.

Oh, and they need to stop airing commercials poking fun at the 5 Series, saying it comes standard with a 4 cylinder engine, when the whole world clearly knows that a 550i and M5 exist
I've owned a high performance hybrid and stated ages ago it is a very tough market and one that is not going to be a big seller. Ever. Harping about 2% of the market is just ****ing nitpicking. Its literally maybe 2% of the market.

The Q50 is selling well? Do you have sales targets. No you don't. The numbers are skewed, no one should compare a car that ends at 55k with cars that start at 60k. That makes no sense. It is a data point used which we can appreciate. There is no denying that the GS/5/E etc etc hybrids are all niche cars with no hype, no marketing and seemingly to most consumers no point.

That is insane rational. You come in here to destroy and pick apart the GS, the 3rd/4th best seller in class and the only relevant Japanese sedan in class? Seriously?

If anyone needs to rethink their strategy its the other Asian brands. inifniit has a wonderful V-8 and that did them absolutely no good. So much for your point.

The GS F will be here next summer, I'll let you know how I like it.

Old 07-23-14, 05:04 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I've owned a high performance hybrid and stated ages ago it is a very tough market and one that is not going to be a big seller. Ever. Harping about 2% of the market is just ****ing nitpicking. Its literally maybe 2% of the market.
This is exactly my point. Lexus is trying to sell something that nobody wants. 15 units in an entire month? that's it? Those numbers are pitiful. The 4th gen GS is still a brand new model and all Lexus can move of the hybrid variant is 15 units. Look, I don't know how you can look at it any other way except to acknowledge the fact that it is a complete flop and it did not do what Lexus hoped it would do. In my opinion it should be discontinued, because the public simply does not want it. Yet they are shoving it down peoples throats it seems as some sort of a replacement for the GS460, which it is not and will never be. Those who are looking for a V8 powered car in this segment will simply look elsewhere (BMW, Audi, MB, Infiniti, etc)

The Q50 is selling well? Do you have sales targets. No you don't. The numbers are skewed, no one should compare a car that ends at 55k with cars that start at 60k. That makes no sense. It is a data point used which we can appreciate.
The point is, the Q50 is the only luxury performance hybrid that is actually selling. Infiniti has done a good job pushing these out there and making them appealing to potential buyers who would have opted for the standard V6 if it wasn't available. The same applies to the ES300h. Lexus has done a great job making the ES hybrid appealing to buyers (although obviously its a fuel efficient upgrade over the standard model, not a performance upgrade).

There is no denying that the GS/5/E etc etc hybrids are all niche cars with no hype, no marketing and seemingly to most consumers no point.
What you dont seem to get is that it's OK for BMW or MB or Audi to offer a hybrid in this segment and have it not sell that great. Because they all offer different variants in this class so it gives plenty of options to all different buyers - whether they want a fuel sipping 4 cylinder or a high performance V8. Lexus specifically eliminated the GS460 in their lineup in the hopes that the 450h would fill its shoes, which it simply has not done. They are forcing people into a car that nobody wants. BMW or MB or Audi or even Infiniti have not done that. That is the difference. It was a poor decision on the part of Lexus to axe the GS460, when the GS450h is selling even worse.

That is insane rational. You come in here to destroy and pick apart the GS, the 3rd/4th best seller in class and the only relevant Japanese sedan in class? Seriously?
Oh please, the previous generation Infiniti M sold just as well if not better in some months than the GS. Yes, Infiniti screwed up the current generation M/Q70 in the styling department, but it still sells well and the soon to come refresh will help things a lot.

And I'm not picking apart or destroying the GS. I like the GS. It's probably my favorite Lexus looks-wise at the moment. However, Lexus really cut its you know what off by eliminating a V8 option in favor of the hybrid.

If anyone needs to rethink their strategy its the other Asian brands. inifniit has a wonderful V-8 and that did them absolutely no good. So much for your point.
Well hey, at least Infiniti still offers a V8 in this segment, the only Japanese luxury brand to do so.

The GS F will be here next summer, I'll let you know how I like it.
That's nice. My Q50 Eau Rouge will still eat your GS F for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all day, every day and you know it
Old 07-23-14, 05:13 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

So, 30 then?

Good point, had no idea the sales of the GS hybrid were so low, I don't recall ever seeing one of the road or reading a comparison of the hybrid in any car mags either, buyers in that market are just no interested in it. They surely would be selling more V8 GS's and there would be more interest over those very low hybrid sales. It is a shame they dropped the V8 option, the hybrid is definitely not filling the demand for more power/performance over the GS350, it isn't any quicker then the 350 and priced way too high for any fuel cost savings considerations. A hybrid is definitely more suited for a car like a ES.
Old 07-23-14, 06:53 PM
LexFather

This is exactly my point. Lexus is trying to sell something that nobody wants. 15 units in an entire month? that's it? Those numbers are pitiful. The 4th gen GS is still a brand new model and all Lexus can move of the hybrid variant is 15 units. Look, I don't know how you can look at it any other way except to acknowledge the fact that it is a complete flop and it did not do what Lexus hoped it would do. In my opinion it should be discontinued, because the public simply does not want it. Yet they are shoving it down peoples throats it seems as some sort of a replacement for the GS460, which it is not and will never be. Those who are looking for a V8 powered car in this segment will simply look elsewhere (BMW, Audi, MB, Infiniti, etc)

The point is, the Q50 is the only luxury performance hybrid that is actually selling. Infiniti has done a good job pushing these out there and making them appealing to potential buyers who would have opted for the standard V6 if it wasn't available. The same applies to the ES300h. Lexus has done a great job making the ES hybrid appealing to buyers (although obviously its a fuel efficient upgrade over the standard model, not a performance upgrade).

What you dont seem to get is that it's OK for BMW or MB or Audi to offer a hybrid in this segment and have it not sell that great. Because they all offer different variants in this class so it gives plenty of options to all different buyers - whether they want a fuel sipping 4 cylinder or a high performance V8. Lexus specifically eliminated the GS460 in their lineup in the hopes that the 450h would fill its shoes, which it simply has not done. They are forcing people into a car that nobody wants. BMW or MB or Audi or even Infiniti have not done that. That is the difference. It was a poor decision on the part of Lexus to axe the GS460, when the GS450h is selling even worse.

Oh please, the previous generation Infiniti M sold just as well if not better in some months than the GS. Yes, Infiniti screwed up the current generation M/Q70 in the styling department, but it still sells well and the soon to come refresh will help things a lot.

And I'm not picking apart or destroying the GS. I like the GS. It's probably my favorite Lexus looks-wise at the moment. However, Lexus really cut its you know what off by eliminating a V8 option in favor of the hybrid.

Well hey, at least Infiniti still offers a V8 in this segment, the only Japanese luxury brand to do so.

That's nice. My Q50 Eau Rouge will still eat your GS F for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all day, every day and you know it
Its really is some odd behavior to come on a Leuxs forum and find ways to bash by FAR the most successful Asian midsize luxury sedan in class since 1993. It really is something that needs checking. Why is the GS torn apart seemingly every month in the sales thread? It is truly hilarious to see every month.

The GS F will be here next summer and a replacement for our GS 350 F-sport. I'm sure you will find ways to bash it from the sidelines.Unfortunately INfiniiti has a very poor history of producing concepts, so don't hold your breathe. We love our loaded GS F-sport (pictured below) and it is a fabulous car. Sadly you have people that haven't even driven it or any car in this class joining internet forums posting ridiculous statements on a car that actually does well and has sold better than it every has worldwide.

You can use month month as a footnote but sadly people try to somehow infer all sorts of conjecture based on one month. Its about trends, not one month, especially an older car that wasn't meant to sell in large quantities in the first place. When the GS hybrid was selling in higher quantities no one made a post about it. When Infiniti didn't even have a hybrid to sell, there wasn't anything about it. It is obvious these cars do not sell and to say the cheapest RWD hybrid sells, one you can lease for around $400 a month isn't really saint much, especially since its still only 250 units.

Obviously a V-8 isn't the answer, they sell in volumes like hybrids. The meat and potatoes today are the V-6 and even I-4 cars like BMW and Audi offer here. Obviously the M56 has a great engine but it didn't help sales or anything one bit.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-23-14 at 06:57 PM.

Old 07-27-14, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lexus GX has quietly more than doubled its sales this year

There are some things in this industry that we're perplexed by, like the infotainment system on our long-term Subaru WRX or why the Mitsubishi Mirage is allowed to exist, among other things. Let's add one more to that group, with the Lexus GX. It's not a particularly bad vehicle for a big, body-on-frame brute, remaining one of the only true SUVs in the mid-size luxury class, alongside the equally old fashioned Land Rover LR4.

Considering these things, then, what we're about to tell you makes very little sense – sales are up 135 percent through last month. The Japanese luxury marque has moved over 5,300 during the first six months of 2014, owing in no small part to a significant price drop over the 2013 model. Today, a GX starts at $49,085, while a year ago, it was $53,445.

Don't mistake this price decrease for charity, though. Lexus specifically built a lower-cost GX to lure in customers. According to WardsAuto, faux leather covers the cabin rather than the real stuff, while the overall package is decontented relative to what you might find in a typical Lexus.

"That was our target in terms of positioning, to bring a true SUV down to a (CUV) price point," Brian Smith, VP of marketing for the brand, told Wards.

While the price cut has helped drive customers into showrooms, Lexus isn't selling many sub-$50,000 GXs.

"We've been successful with that [base grade], however it's not the biggest chunk of our volume," Smith said.

Base sales only constitute a fifth of the GX's totals, with customers generally flocking to the better outfitted GX Premium, which coincidentally starts at just a few hundred dollars more than last year's base model.

Despite this big increase in sales, the GX's future is far from certain, Smith said. Lexus is allegedly, according to AN, looking at swapping the GX from its truck-based roots to a proper unibody platform, in order to better compete dynamically with CUVs like the Acura MDX. Smith doesn't want that, though, citing the SUV's 6,500-pound towing capacity.

"I think there's a need for towing capability, without having to go all the way to an LX," Smith said. "So we're doing everything we can to continue to keep Toyota focused on the need for GX."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/26/l...ed-sales-2014/
Old 07-27-14, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

About the GS, it's doing fine, and it's only going to get better. The facelift is near, GS F slated for Summer 2015 and GS200t September 2015. During this time the '16 RX will be rolling out. Shortly after we should start hearing about new powertrains for Lexus. The 2GR-FSE is due for a replacement and a rumored TTV6 is the likely candidate to see duty in the IS/GS/RC and possibly the LS if they line-up with the 740i. The new V6 performance Hybrid sounds like a SC debut but could trickle or replace the GS450h eventually (possibly detuned). A TTV8 should also power a number of higher end Lexus's and F models like the 5LS and LF-LC (SC). So at least with the tuning capabilities there is the OFF chance we could see another GS V8 non F. I personally wouldn't hold my breath but I would put a deposit down now if a GS400t were ever in the cards
Old 07-27-14, 08:09 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe the article made a mistake, for the first six months of 2014 Lexus has sold 10,276 GX's in the U.S. and not over 5,300 as the article states.

My projection is that Lexus should be able to sell over 20,500 GX's this year in the U.S. alone.

The GX is outselling the CT and the GS...

Very nice that the GX is doing very well. Lexus better keep the GX for a very long time. I love my GX and look forward to the GX's future...Lexus could add more GX variants worldwide:

GX 400 (sold outside of U.S.)
GX 460

Lexus could add a diesel version, hybrid version and a more powerful version:

GX 400d
GX 450h or GX 550h
GX 570

Also make some F Sport versions as well...

One last thing Lexus needs to improve the current GX...please oh please make the rear barn door open correctly for U.S. standards (open to the left).

Last edited by Trexus; 07-27-14 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
About the GS, it's doing fine, and it's only going to get better. The facelift is near, GS F slated for Summer 2015 and GS200t September 2015. During this time the '16 RX will be rolling out. Shortly after we should start hearing about new powertrains for Lexus. The 2GR-FSE is due for a replacement and a rumored TTV6 is the likely candidate to see duty in the IS/GS/RC and possibly the LS if they line-up with the 740i. The new V6 performance Hybrid sounds like a SC debut but could trickle or replace the GS450h eventually (possibly detuned). A TTV8 should also power a number of higher end Lexus's and F models like the 5LS and LF-LC (SC). So at least with the tuning capabilities there is the OFF chance we could see another GS V8 non F. I personally wouldn't hold my breath but I would put a deposit down now if a GS400t were ever in the cards
great post