Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ALL About Leasing and Buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 02:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And I still think you are full of it.
Guys keep this mature.

There is an old adage about not buying used cars from the North, but as I heard growing up it was more related to rust and underbody issues due to road chemicals, etc from the harsher winters.

A lot of advances have made that much less of a concern over the last 20+ years.
Old 07-06-14, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The only thing I would question is your advice not to buy cars from the north due to transmission problems caused by snow. While some people may have to rock (go from D to R repeatedly) to get out of a snow bank, this is not a common occurrence and rarely causes damage. Personally I would be more wary of cars with trailer hitches. Towing heavy trailers are much more detrimental to a transmission than snow.
Apparantly, in the North, every car gets stuck in the snow, every day and the cars transmission gets rocked all the time to get out.

I guess I am excluded from this, as I have never been stuck in the snow and I live in the North.

I also guess cold weather testing is a myth too...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-06-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 02:11 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what? Does that mean you should avoid Northern cars? Seriously, how many times will someone get stuck in the snow that the their cars tranny is rocked causing wear and tear? So now we have to stay away from northern cars.

I would probably be more worried about a car from Texas being brought up to the North, manufactures have said that the southern cars are not built for the North. So they say...
I am not saying you shouldn't, but I would avoid it if I could. I see that you trying to aggravate me and get in to an argument, believe me that is the last thing I want to do.

You are entitled to your opinion, which is fine, but YOU GOTTA stop putting words in my mouth! You sound like a spoiled kid who wants everything his way, and when he cant get it , he gets angry.

Not only it is mine opinion that cars can develop transmission problems when they get stuck in snow, i also provided a few posts from others having similar issue.

Last edited by FastTags; 07-06-14 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys keep this mature.

There is an old adage about not buying used cars from the North, but as I heard growing up it was more related to rust and underbody issues due to road chemicals, etc from the harsher winters.

A lot of advances have made that much less of a concern over the last 20+ years.
No problem.
Old 07-06-14, 02:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by joebruin
Thanks. This makes sense. For those who make equity in trade, can you actually pocket that equity w/o obligation to put that as down payment on next vehicle purchase/lease?
Absolutely. You can receive the equity in a check if you wish.

This would be more my concern...
Old 07-06-14, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So what? Does that mean you should avoid Northern cars? Seriously, how many times will someone get stuck in the snow that the their cars tranny is rocked causing wear and tear? So now we have to stay away from northern cars.

I would probably be more worried about a car from Texas being brought up to the North, manufactures have said that the southern cars are not built for the North. So they say...
I've never heard of special production runs of northern and southern cars. What if somone buys a "southern" car and then moves to the "north"?
Old 07-06-14, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've never heard of special production runs of northern and southern cars. What if somone buys a "southern" car and then moves to the "north"?
I think the story of south vs north is myth, but a few years ago, a lot of Canadians were bringing US vehicles to Canada to take advantage of the exchange rate and price differences. I remember specifically Toyota Canada and Lexus Canada saying on their website that some US built models were not built with door seals, and other components designed for Canadian climates.

I think it is myth, but you never know.
Old 07-06-14, 03:14 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the story of south vs north is myth, but a few years ago, a lot of Canadians were bringing US vehicles to Canada to take advantage of the exchange rate and price differences. I remember specifically Toyota Canada and Lexus Canada saying on their website that some US built models were not built with door seals, and other components designed for Canadian climates.

Its not unheard of that car makers make cars more adaptable for the climate, but
Usually its applies to a Country change not from state to state.

So its possible that Canadian cars have different parts but i doubt Texas vs NY will have dicferent parts.
Old 07-06-14, 03:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

To put the Canadian-destined cars vs US to rest, the differences are very subtle. Things like the 12V battery ("heavier-duty"), washer nozzles/pump, all-season washer fluid, etc are the main differences these days. Mechanically, all the same.
Old 07-06-14, 03:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Mechanically, all the same.
Well I don't agree, I just looked up 13 MY Corolla and the US destination models will have a reg spec starter as well as a cold weather spec starter. Looking at the Canadian destination model, it only comes with cold spec part number.

A Puerto Rico destined Corolla gets its own hood lock while the Canada US part is different.

So I am sure there are some differences.
Old 07-06-14, 04:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Let's not make this a thread about semantics. We're saying the same thing. Yes, there are differences and there are many (we can add Daytime Running Lights, speedo marking differences, "Parking Brake" and "Cruise" dash alert symbol differences, tire brands, ETC... ), but my point is none have a major impact in changing the performance or intended function of the vehicle from one country to another.

Back on point of this thread. I wanted to add that to those who are in Canada, if you are not comfortable in negotiating a price or simply don't have time to car shop for the best deal, check out http://unhaggle.com or http://carcostcanada.com to get you the best price in your location.
Old 07-06-14, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That's part of it, Dave. Salt and corrosion have always been more of a problem in Snow-Belt states. But there are other factors as well. Generally, the farther north you go, and the further inland you get, the greater the temperature-swings are between summer and winter. Extreme temperatures, even without snow and ice, also place a strain on auto fluids and components, though modern synthetic oils are more resistant to breakdown and ineffectiveness from extreme temperatures than conventional dino oil.
Old 07-06-14, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Are you referring to just Toyota/Lexus models built without door sears, or American-built vehicles in general? Buick's Verano, built in Wixom, MI, has triple-sealed doors and five layers of insulation in the roof, though, admittedly, that seems to have been done more for the car's library-quietness than for extreme-weather insulation.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-06-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 07:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you referring to just Toyota/Lexus models built without door sears, or American-built vehicles in general? Buick's Verano, built in Wixom, MI, has triple-sealed doors and five layers of insulation in the roof, though, admittedly, that seems to have been done more for the car's library-quietness than for extreme-weather insulation.
mmarshall, triple door seals are nothing new to Toyota and Lexus products.

The issue I have with Buick is that they mask noise and the Verano maskes its Chevy Cruze roots where as Toyota engineered a near silent and hush Toyota Avalon without the need to hide the noise.

The masking of noise is the problem I have with Buick. I just wish they made their cars silent to begin with.
Old 07-06-14, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, triple door seals are nothing new to Toyota and Lexus products.

The issue I have with Buick is that they mask noise and the Verano maskes its Chevy Cruze roots where as Toyota engineered a near silent and hush Toyota Avalon without the need to hide the noise.

The masking of noise is the problem I have with Buick. I just wish they made their cars silent to begin with.
Without adequate insulation, Toyota vehicles would be as noisy as anything else. The new ES proves that with the higher road-noise level it has over earlier models. Insulation in the wheel-wells was lessened on the new one, perhaps from budget-cutting in the design.

We've been over the Verano's Opel-Astra roots (not Cruze) several times. There are some similarities to the Cruze platform, but it is primarily Astra-derived.

Anyhow, no offense, but we're getting somewhat off-topic (me included). I had brought up the question of which particular American-built vehicles you were referring to.......but it (now) obviously seems to be only Toyota/Lexus. We were on the general topic of leasing, but somehow the issue of American-built vs. Canadian models coming up to Canada got involved over door-insulation. .

Quick Reply: ALL About Leasing and Buying