Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 kids / carseats, what next?

Old 06-26-14, 01:02 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MB E350 wagon with third row rear facing seat!
Old 06-26-14, 06:17 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I would highly recommend an Acura MDX Advance. Great all around SUV. I am on my third. And with the third row will come in handy as the kids get bigger and you are also hauling their friends. While I have not looked at the new generation (2014), my 2011 Advance is worth the step up with the Active Damper suspension system, Blind Spot Monitor, etc.
Old 06-26-14, 08:51 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tesla Model S 60 with rear facing seat! Could squeak in under your budget after all the tax incentives
Old 06-27-14, 09:48 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
You could get a really mean wagon for that price.
And I really want a *mean* wagon! Best is probably E63 AMG, but not too fond of German cars or the $$$$.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'd assume reliability is a must since you'll be dealing with three kids and you won't need additional headaches . So for simplicity, I'm eliminating most domestics and European imports with some exceptions below.

With some "Sporty" pretensions and rear-seat width/room to fit three car seats side-by-side:

SUVs: * are the most reliable
*Acura MDX: 45-60K
Audi Q7: 55-70K
BMW X5: 55-70K
Cadillac SRX: 45-55K
*Lexus RX F-Sport: 50-55K
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT: 65-70K
*Porsche Cayenne: 50K+++
Land Rover Range Rover Sport: 65K++
VW Touareg: 45-65K

Sedans/Wagons: *are the most reliable
BMW 5-series GT: 60-75K
Cadillac CTS V-Sport: 60-65K
Hyundai Genesis: 40-60K
*Lexus GS F-Sport: 55-60K
Volvo V60 R-Design (sedan or wagon): 45-55K

If I think of more, I'll post.
Yes! The Jeep SRT and the Porsche Cayenne are really appealing. Everytime I see a Cayenne GTS, my head swivels. Time to go do some test driving (while wifey has baby duty)!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There's plenty of choices I'm sure we'll hear, but here is what I came up with

SEDANS:
Avalon - Newish, roomy, V6 or optional Hybrid, Toyota reliability
Fusion - Newish, improved fit and finish, I4, Hybrid/PHEV or Turbo, optional AWD, good handling dynamics
Genesis - New, reliability is yet to be seen but host of V6/V8, nice warranty, should be a fun drive

SUVS:
Grand Cherokee - Refreshed '14, V6, diesel, V8, modern tech, nice cabin, capable 4x4
Highlander - Always a solid bet, roomy, improved interior, V6 or Hybrid, FWD/AWD
MDX - Another safe bet, mimics the Highlander save for the Hybrid. SH-AWD is great.

All of these should be roomy and offer some decent mileage with certain powertrains as well as offer some improved handling/fun factor vs your outgoing Camry Hybrid

edit saw the words "family performance"
Superb choices and I think realistically, Hybrid Highlander is the most practical choice. It's just that I want something *FUN* too. Will I have to battle it out with my better half to get two cars? One practical and one not so much?

Originally Posted by pbm317
3 car seats almost requires 3 rows doesn't it?

GL350 Bluetec - would be right at the upper edge of your budget, but maybe a CPO one could be had.

Range Rover Sport SE - also would be at the top of your budget
I drove the Rover Sport V6 and was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm sure the supercharged V8 is a blast, but it didn't feel "worth the money" to me. And I'm in love with the looks, so it was a real let down.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
3 little ones that are very close in age-gotta make sure that trunk can fit a double stroller at least.

If you have those side by side strollers, those things are huge and wide vs. the front to back.

I like the front to back much better since they're easier to fold and fits into sedan (if looking for a car) trunks better.
TRUTH. Spoken like a man with kids! It's not just the three car seats, but all the associated STUFF. Strollers are especially necessary and cumbersome.
Old 06-27-14, 09:49 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
MB E350 wagon with third row rear facing seat!
Me like. And in brown!
Old 06-27-14, 09:53 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
Tesla Model S 60 with rear facing seat! Could squeak in under your budget after all the tax incentives
So I'm seriously considering the Model X CUV, which is supposed to come out next year. I'm already thoroughly impressed with the Model S. It's incredibly practical, roomy, and would serve me well on my commute. Plus it's a hoot to drive, and would satisfy the performance itch. My concerns: Reliability, long term resale, and road-tripping. But all of that aside, the X could be THE ONE. I know it is likely to surpass my $75K budget, but factoring in gas and maintenance, it works...I have a confession, guys: I already put down a deposit for SN #8500. It's still fully refundable, but I wanted to hold a place in line.
Old 06-27-14, 10:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Everytime I see a Cayenne GTS, my head swivels. Time to go do some test driving (while wifey has baby duty)!
because a cayenne gts will be under your $75k max all in. probably $95k with options 'all in'

Superb choices and I think realistically, Hybrid Highlander is the most practical choice.
the 'hybrid' extra cost will never pay for itself, but it's a nice vehicle for sure.

It's just that I want something *FUN* too. Will I have to battle it out with my better half to get two cars? One practical and one not so much?
if you do that your cost again is likely to go way over $75K.

you're conflicted and all over the map.

friend of mine was in the same boat. he bought a bmw M5 wagon. fast as hell and 'practical'. sounds good right? he had it for a couple of years and realized he couldn't use any of its performance unless alone in it, and it wasn't all that roomy anyway.

so if you want truly fun and practical in one vehicle, be prepared to cough up a lot of $$.
Old 06-27-14, 10:36 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not want to stuff 3 infant \ toddler seats in most of the cars \ suv's listed.

GMC Yukon or Yukon XL with second row buckets

With the 3 kids seats also comes all the stuff to move the kids around and keep them alive, more room the better.
Old 06-27-14, 01:49 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by J.P.
I would not want to stuff 3 infant \ toddler seats in most of the cars \ suv's listed.

GMC Yukon or Yukon XL with second row buckets

With the 3 kids seats also comes all the stuff to move the kids around and keep them alive, more room the better.
Added to the list. The Yukon Denali XL with all the improvements for 2015? If I keep the Camry Hybrid for DD commuting, might be an interesting option.
Old 06-27-14, 01:51 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because a cayenne gts will be under your $75k max all in. probably $95k with options 'all in'

the 'hybrid' extra cost will never pay for itself, but it's a nice vehicle for sure.

if you do that your cost again is likely to go way over $75K.

you're conflicted and all over the map.

friend of mine was in the same boat. he bought a bmw M5 wagon. fast as hell and 'practical'. sounds good right? he had it for a couple of years and realized he couldn't use any of its performance unless alone in it, and it wasn't all that roomy anyway.

so if you want truly fun and practical in one vehicle, be prepared to cough up a lot of $$.
You're right, I'm all over the map, but that's part of the fun, right?

Perhaps a used GTS would fit the budget?

And as for hybrid payback period: Technically you are of course correct. But driving the Camry Hybrid for the last few years, I realize that the benefits are - fewer visits to the pump, longer range, lower cost to operate especially with a long commute, quiet operation in EV mode. So the hybrid in my mind is still worth the premium. But to each his own!
Old 06-27-14, 03:50 PM
LexFather

I honestly would consider one of the larger SUVs as J.P stated with 3 kids. I think the 3rd row would truly come in handy and a REAL third row, not these 3rd rows good for marketing purposes that cut people's legs off where they bleed to death in the back seat

Old 06-27-14, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Ford Expedition has some of the best third row legroom in the segment. It's been given a facelift and new EcoBoost 3.5L V6 for the latest model year.
Old 06-27-14, 05:05 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Added to the list. The Yukon Denali XL with all the improvements for 2015? If I keep the Camry Hybrid for DD commuting, might be an interesting option.
We will replace our 4runner limited with a Yukon Denali XL next year likely. I am tall and like room, I don't want the kids kicking my seat, I want room for stroller(s) and everything you need to carry for the kids on local and long trips, the REAL 3rd row is nice, towing for boats etc is a plus for me. The 6.2 engine I have In my denali truck and it sounds amazing and runs pretty fast for a big *** truck, enough to take the lead over an is250 or a4 believe it or not...........

Yes minivan for 3 kids is ideal, but if not a van, then a large suv is the only thing I would consider with kids your age. The bucket seats also allow for someone to be in-between the 2 kids with access to the 3rd which is nice as I am sure you have had someone jump in the back before to take care of things.

The 2015 is a big upgrade over the 2014 inside and out. 4wd with the touring package they discount these suv's pretty nice, prob pick one up sub 70k without any haggle and hold value pretty nice, at least around here they do.... 2wd maybe as low as 65-67k
Old 06-28-14, 12:53 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the tesla model s. definitely enough room inside, and the kids will graduate to the 3rd row seats. Also, tesla will offer a trade in program for the model x. I put in my deposit for the model s last week
Old 06-28-14, 02:14 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Get the tesla model s. definitely enough room inside, and the kids will graduate to the 3rd row seats. Also, tesla will offer a trade in program for the model x. I put in my deposit for the model s last week
Hadn't heard anything about a trade in program! Do you have a link?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 kids / carseats, what next?