Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Honda HR-V SUV Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 04:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except for full throttle or high high rpm, this test mule seems VERY quiet when under way (and not on battery obviously).

oh and love the bogus fake 'nav screen' prop that falls out part way through the video.

near end it shows 13.1 km/l which seems to equate to about 31mpg.

2014.1.4 HONDA VEZEL Giving A Test Ride - YouTube
i like the interior except for the vents on the passanger side, i dont know anyone who likes air blowing directly all over them, but it is Honda, gotta be strange...

Everything else is great, consumption is poor for the way he drove it - official numbers are something like 27 km/l. This "should" definitely get real life consumption better than Prius v for instance.
Old 06-26-14, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like the interior except for the vents on the passanger side, i dont know anyone who likes air blowing directly all over them, but it is Honda, gotta be strange...
All modern cars (and even some going back as far as the 1970s) have a valve in the air vents with a small **** that can partly or totally shut off airflow through the vent. And, of course, dual climate-zone systems are also becoming standard or optional in all but the most entry-level cars.
Old 06-26-14, 08:14 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it looks awful. hate that front.
Old 09-30-14, 11:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

on the honda site now.....blah....

http://automobiles.honda.com/hr-v/
Introducing the Honda HR-V, a dynamic, fuel-efficient small SUV with sleek styling and next-generation connectivity. This all-new vehicle recently made its world debut at the New York Auto Show. Its clean character lines are complemented by hidden rear door handles, giving the SUV a sporty presence.

As part of Honda's light-truck lineup, the HR-V is built on a unique center-tank layout and offers a versatile, spacious interior. It's equipped with the Honda-exclusive Magic Seat®, so you can fold the second-row seat completely flat for added cargo space and greater flexibility. Smaller than the CR-V, the HR-V SUV is an ideal size for both city streets and mountain roads.

The Honda HR-V SUV will be available this winter, so be sure to sign up for our emails to receive the latest information and updates.

Old 09-30-14, 12:19 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been checking that Honda website back and fourth for more info on this car for a long time before it said 2015 now it's a 2016 but other still same info, is there any rock solid recent info on this car?
Old 09-30-14, 12:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

The 2015 Honda HR-V is built on a subcompact platform -- in this case, the Honda Fit.

The Fit itself is redesigned for 2015: slightly shorter, wider and roomier, particularly for those in the rear seats. The HR-V should extend the Fit's improvements with an added 7 inches of overall length, a taller ride height and a low tailgate opening that spans more than 40 inches. The new crossover will also incorporate the Fit's interior flexibility, with rear seatbacks that fold flat and seat cushions that can fold up from the floor. The passenger seat can also lay nearly flat, creating a cargo channel from the tailgate to the dash.

The HR-V will likely share the new Fit's 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, rated at 130 horsepower and matched to a continuously variable transmission (CVT) driving the front wheels. A sportier, turbocharged version should follow the launch of the standard model. A hybrid version for the U.S. is possible if initial HR-V sales are strong, as is an all-wheel-drive option.

The HR-V will slot between the new Fit and the larger CR-V crossover. At 9 inches shorter, 1 inch lower and about 700 pounds lighter than the CR-V, the HR-V should offer a unique choice for those who need space for passengers and gear without the family-sized CR-V footprint. The HR-V's size and probable all-wheel-drive option make it a prime contender against other sporty small crossovers like the Nissan Juke, Subaru XV Crosstrek and even the Mazda CX-5.

The 2015 Honda HR-V should arrive late this fall or in early 2015. Check back for a full review of the 2015 Honda HR-V, including specs, driving impressions and buying advice as it becomes available. http://www.edmunds.com/honda/hr-v/2015/#fullreview
I like it but can't see where it really would be competition with the CX-5.The CX-5 is an inch longer and wider than the CR-V.
Old 09-30-14, 05:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well it's certainly cute looking. Has an RDX profile to it. Not a fan of the 'Nissan' rear door handle location
Old 09-30-14, 06:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

In the small ute class (Chevy Trax included), this would be at the top of the list. Honda reliability, small but efficient packaging, with expected good refinement and fuel economy, what's not to like?
Old 09-30-14, 07:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
In the small ute class (Chevy Trax included), this would be at the top of the list. Honda reliability, small but efficient packaging, with expected good refinement and fuel economy, what's not to like?
cheap to the touch dash? I keed I keed, somewhat
Old 09-30-14, 10:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I like it but can't see where it really would be competition with the CX-5.The CX-5 is an inch longer and wider than the CR-V.
according to their websites, the crv is slightly longer than the cx-5, but yes, the cx-5 is .8" wider - probably due to fender design rather than interior space.
Old 10-01-14, 04:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
according to their websites, the crv is slightly longer than the cx-5, but yes, the cx-5 is .8" wider - probably due to fender design rather than interior space.
Bit.I went by Edmunds specs on the '14 CR-V.Maybe the '15 is longer.
Edmunds '14 CR-V 178.3 vs CX-5's 179.3 in length.
Still don't believe the HR-V at 9" shorter is a CX-5 is a 'prime contender' against the CX-5 to me.
The CR-V yes.
Old 10-01-14, 06:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Edmunds '14 CR-V 178.3 vs CX-5's 179.3 in length.
Still don't believe the HR-V at 9" shorter is a CX-5 is a 'prime contender' against the CX-5 to me.
The CR-V yes.
of course it is not.. just shows their lack of knowledge.
Old 10-01-14, 09:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

good call, you're right,the '15 is 179.4!
Old 05-22-15, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I went and looked at at one late this morning, after my daily work-out and swim...just a static-review, no test-drive. The HR-V was just released nationwide on May 15, and demand is far outrunning supply (and even that's an understatement). There's obviously a waiting-list for them. The local Honda dealership I was at had SEVEN of them yesterday, right off of the truck..............today, just ONE was left, a top line EX-L (Leather) with NAV and AWD. Still a reasonable 26K price, though, though they wanted another $400 or so on a second price-sticker for dealer-installed accessories. Still, IMO, not a real price gouge, though, compared to what I've seen some profit-hungry dealerships do with high-demand/short-supply vehicles.

Anyhow, on the vehicle itself....I was VERY impressed with the overall build-solidness and quality of materials used in the HR-V, especially by today's standards of making many vehicle-components lighter, thinner, and often more flimsy. Shut the doors, and you get a vault-like thud. All of the interior and exterior hardware seemed first-rate. It was not a luxury-plush interior with wood-tones or rich-looking trim, but the materials used all felt like they would last twenty years, and the cargo area was well-carpeted. This particular version had Michelin all-season tires.....I don't know if lower-line versions do or not. From what I could tell, Honda clearly did not skimp with the materials, and, I thought the 26K price (only 19-20K to start for base versions) was quite reasonable for what you got. I also liked the way the underhood was arranged....engine fit in very well with room to spare, no engine or battery cover, and everything exposed and easy to get to.

Complaints? Depending on where the front seats are adjusted, some room is sacrificed in the rear seat for those 6' or taller (I'm 6' 2", and also wear a cap). There are no body-side moldings for parking-lot protection. You prop the hood up with a manual prop-rod instead of nice struts. And, though I didn't actually test-drive it because I didn't want to expose the only one they had left to a possible accident (my guess is that someone would buy it later today or tomorrow), the engine's 127 ft-lbs. of torque seems a little on the wimpy side, especially with the added weight/drag of AWD. (I'm sensible and careful myself on test-drives, but you have little or no control if someone rear-ends you at a stoplight).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-15 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-22-15, 02:26 PM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota needs in on this segment ASAP. The HR-V and CX-3 will fly off the lots.

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda HR-V SUV Review