Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas DMV working to avoid sticker shock of single-tag system in 2015

Old 06-23-14, 11:45 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Texas DMV working to avoid sticker shock of single-tag system in 2015

Moving Closer to Single Tags for our Cars in Texas

Texas drivers will have a little less clutter on their windshield next year when the familiar green inspection sticker goes away, but it comes at the price of requiring inspections in order to renew vehicle registrations.

As of March 2015, vehicles registered in Texas will no longer need separate vehicle inspection and registration stickers. Inspections and registrations will continue, but the single registration sticker will act as proof of both, Texas DMV director Whitney Brewster told a state senate committee on Monday. The deadline for passing state vehicle safety and emissions tests shifts to sometime in the 90 days before the vehicle's registration expires.

"This is a big impact on customers," Brewster told state senators, citing the need for an aggressive public awareness campaign.

Currently, inspection and registration operate largely independent of one another. The change puts them on one sticker, but also moves away from the grace period for inspections some people are accustomed to, and requires valid safety inspections to renew vehicles.

The new process, supporters of the change say, makes it more difficult to cheat the system by avoiding inspections.

State officials say Texas will save $2.1 million with the change - mostly in oversight and sticker costs - and improve law enforcement ability to police fraud and maintain up-to-date insurance records.

The rules and costs for vehicle owners do not change, though when the payments occur will. Owners in the Houston area will pay the station $25.50 when the inspection is done. The remaining $14.25 associated with Texas clean air programs and inspection oversight is paid when the person renews the vehicle registration.

The owner will get a printout when they submit for the inspection, then that information is relayed into the state database. The owner can go online prior to their registration expiring and renew. Officials can check the insurance and inspection databases for the information and issue the registration renewal.

For in-person renewals, the owner can take the proper insurance and inspection certificates and present them to the county tax assessor.

The change means a break from annual inspections for some drivers, because of the timing for inspections and registrations expiring. If someone's registration expires in May and their inspection tag expires in June, for example, they will not have to get their car tested until prior to renewing their registration in May 2016.

Lawmakers last year nixed the inspection sticker, citing the potential to reduce fraudulent tags. Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, argued for the change, which brings inspection information into a state database.

This way, West said last year, the state has a way to verify valid insurance, emissions compliance and registration through one database managed by the Department of Public Safety. The current method keeps emission and inspection information in separate places, managed between DPS, DMV and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Even with advanced notice, however, lawmakers said they expect some irate calls, as Texans bid adieu to a sticker they're accustomed to receiving.

"We'll be right in session, and I bet we get a lot of complaints," said Sen. Robert Nichols, chair of the Senate Transportation Committee.
Link Here
Old 06-24-14, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

come to florida - no inspections here
Old 06-24-14, 07:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
come to florida - no inspections here
I wondered why when I visit FL I see so many vehicles driving around on bald tires, one headlight out, etc...etc...
Old 06-24-14, 08:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I wondered why when I visit FL I see so many vehicles driving around on bald tires, one headlight out, etc...etc...
ha! but honestly, i rarely see that, and i don't live in some uber wealthy area. and of course, police do pull over unsafe vehicles.

the inspection 'scheme' is just another tax grab.
Old 06-24-14, 08:14 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Utah's been doing this forever. You go get inspected, then you take your inspection certificate and renew your registration(online or in person).
Old 06-24-14, 08:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha! but honestly, i rarely see that, and i don't live in some uber wealthy area. and of course, police do pull over unsafe vehicles.

the inspection 'scheme' is just another tax grab.
The inspection scheme is also another method to get raped by mechanics. You have no choice now but to have a mechanic tell you what's 'wrong' with your car and he holds the power to keep you on the road.

We had a falling out with a trusted mechanic who failed our truck because of the brakes. He said all 4 brakes needed new rotors, drums, pads, and shoes(truck has drum rear, disc front). Now, it had been a while since the brakes had been done, so he was probably being truthful, so we let him do them. Over the next year, we put 500 miles on that truck. We took it back to him the next year and he must have forgotten about the prior year, so he quoted us brakes again.

We went somewhere else.
Old 06-24-14, 08:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The inspection scheme is also another method to get raped by mechanics.
they have places in tx that do only inspections (mr sticker) - nothing else, so at least a mechanic can't rape you.
Old 06-24-14, 09:11 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would prefer tx adopt ca's tag on the license plate so nothing is on the windshield. The tags always obstructed my view when I had the MINI.
Old 06-24-14, 12:25 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Wish TX got rid of the front plate.
Old 06-24-14, 01:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Wish TX got rid of the front plate.

Big +1

I had some motorcycle cop turn around and chase me only because I didn't have a front plate on my Mini Cooper S...just a warning but still...8 million speeders out there and I was just cruising at 37mph in a 35mph zone and he picks me to mess with...musta been bored.

funny thing is, my wife's A5 still passed inspection only with a rear plate (past 2 years); she's been stopped for other things and they didn't say a thing about no front plate.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-24-14 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 01:13 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I laugh at you guys and your inspections.
ohio, we probably have the most unsafe cars on the road. hahaha salt in winter times, and no inspections!
you seriously see cars being held together by the body panels.

but we still have front plates... and front plates suck! I hate drilling into bumpers to mount them...
Old 06-26-14, 02:56 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Man some of you guys got it made! No inspections? Lol
Old 06-26-14, 03:22 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 154 Posts

Illinois more or less already had this--if your inspection is expired, renewing your driver's license or tags for your plates is impossible. You don't have to bring your results in, it's automatically reported. The inspections are done at state-run facilities, which do not do repairs, so the opportunities for graft are minimized.

That said, diesels have a permanent exemption, so I'll NEVER have to take my car in for inspection. It does have a front plate though.
Old 06-26-14, 08:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

florida... no inspections, no window stickers, no front license plate, cheap car reg, no state income tax...
Old 06-26-14, 08:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Inspections are annoying in NJ, but at least they're free if you go certain state run DMVs (MVC out here)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Texas DMV working to avoid sticker shock of single-tag system in 2015