Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Turn Around.....Don't Drown

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Turn Around.....Don't Drown

Here, in the D.C. area, the media and local governments have a slogan called "Turn Around....Don't Drown". This is not just ad-hoopla, or done simply for the sake of taking up space on the TV screen. It is done for good reason. And it means what it says.

Roadways, of course, can become flooded from a number of reasons...quick-melting of heavy snowstorms, broken water-mains, damaged or collapsed dams/water-retention structures, earthquakes, hurricanes/tropical storms, abnormally high tides, torrential rains from thunderstorms, stalled weather-fronts, and others. The most likely and most common reason, though, especially in the warmer seasons, are strong thunderstorms in humid areas which can dump several inches of rain (or more) in less than an hour. In some cases, I've seen perfectly dry roads become virtual rivers within minutes....with strong currents. This can be especially dangerous with what, in meteorology, are called "training" thunderstorms...cells that, one behind the other, move over the same territory for hours at a time (also known as a Mesoscale Convective Complex). In the majority of the U.S., this is generally a warm-season event, but, in some southeastern and/or coastal states, it can happen even in winter. In fact, Southern California gets most of its heavy rains (and greatest flood/mudslide dangers) from wintertime Pacific storms. When conditions are likely (or occurring) for heavy rains of a flooding nature, the National Weather Service will issue Flash Flood Watches and Warnings)

But you guys don't need to know all of the science behind it (though it helps). The main thing to remember is that Flash Floods kill more people each year (with most of the deaths occurring in automobiles), in the U.S., than lightning, tornadoes, hail, blizzards, or almost any other type of weather-hazard. And why do so many drivers and passengers get trapped...or worse, drown? Usually, just from complacency or indifference to the hazards. The idea that it can happen to others, but not to them. The TV ads for some trucks and sport-utility vehicles are also misleading at times, giving false impressions of what those vehicles can do while crossing deep water. The result? Police/Fire departments, Civil Defense rescue personnel, and, in some cases, even the military and the National Guard having to send in units to try and rescues vehicle-occupants trapped in deep water...hopefully before it is too late. In my local D.C area, partially because of the huge number of vehicles and so many inexperienced drivers, it happens almost every time we get heavy rains...you can set your watch by it.

Even experienced drivers can sometimes be fooled. Water on the road can actually be considerably deeper than it looks on the surface....and have strong currents underneath that aren't visible to the naked eye, specially at night. And strong means strong...to inject a little more science into it, moving water has an enormous amount of what is called Kinetic energy, the energy of Mass and Motion combined. Quick-moving water as low as a foot or two deep can pick up some low-stance vehicles and sweep them away like a floating log. That, of course, is even more likely on vehicles with lowered springs/suspensions or that have low-hanging body fairings/air-dams on them. Once or twice, in my old Subaru Outback (which had almost nine inches of ground clearance and all-wheel-drive), I went through water on the road about up to my wheel-hubs, but I knew that the water was still, its general depth, and had watched some previous vehicles in front of me.....I didn't just blindly guess and decide that I could be reckless and beat the odds. And I haven't done it with any other vehicle.

Of course, high-stance pickup-trucks, SUVs, and crossover AWD vehicles like the Subaru Outback/Forester, Toyota Venza, Honda Crosstour DO have at least a little more resistance to getting trapped in water than other types of vehicles, but, it still pays to be on the safe side. Many of the vehicle water-rescues we see here locally in floods are from people in Jeeps, pickups, large SUVs, etc......who thought they could beat the odds, and simply didn't.

So, unless you know EXACTLY what you are actually getting into (some drivers think they do, but don't)...my strong advice is, when you come to a section of roadway under water, especially if warning signs have been erected, as that means that competent authorities have determined that it is hazardous, do just what the slogan says, and what you owe to your families, friends, and loved ones......Turn Around.
Old 06-23-14, 11:29 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the EMTs and fire/rescue folks should be legally required to let any adults drown (they can save the kids; I'm not a monster) who do this.

If the sign says "road flooded...do not enter" and you decide the drive through it anyway...I hope you got a snorkel, 'cause you're a friggin' idiot.
Old 06-23-14, 11:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
If the sign sa

If the sign says "road flooded...do not enter" and you decide the drive through it anyway...I hope you got a snorkel, 'cause you're a friggin' idiot.
In essence, you're right, though I generally don't use terms like that, and try to be a little more tactful.

Also, of course, not all flooded/hazardous areas are clearly marked or easily visible....especially at night. That's why drivers sometimes have to use sense/judgement on their own.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 12:06 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm rarely tactful...just ask my wife!
Old 06-23-14, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That ES doesn't look happy lol
Old 06-23-14, 02:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That ES doesn't look happy lol

Neither will that lady on the hood when she gets the bill for her rescue....and for water damage to her car, if it's not insurance-covered or totaled
Old 06-23-14, 02:57 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Neither will that lady on the hood when she gets the bill for her rescue....and for water damage to her car, if it's not insurance-covered or totaled
Rescue? She could have walked out in knee deep water
Old 06-23-14, 03:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Might ruin her pedicure
Old 06-23-14, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
Yeah....I posted that shot as an example of what may happen when the water isn't very deep or swift-flowing, and the picture above it to show what may happen when it IS.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that she could just mindlessly stroll out on her own like that in bare feet. In some parts of the country, especially in the Deep South, waters contain poisonous snakes, alligators, and species of fish (such as Gar and needlefish) with sharp teeth that can take a nasty bite out of human flesh....not to mention things on the bottom like logs and other debris that one could slip on, get cut, or break or sprain an ankle. The rescuers with her, of course, have protective clothing and thick insulated boots.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 03:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When superstorm Sandy hit here in NY, there was no time to put road closed signs once the water started rushing in. I barely ran from the rushing water in my van - I couldn't even see the road as everything was under water so I was just navigating by locations of houses and trees. It was a pretty nasty experience, and I was lucky to escape it right on time, several people in my area weren't so lucky. One drowned in his car and several in their houses.
Old 06-23-14, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
When superstorm Sandy hit here in NY, there was no time to put road closed signs once the water started rushing in. I barely ran from the rushing water in my van - I couldn't even see the road as everything was under water so I was just navigating by locations of houses and trees. It was a pretty nasty experience, and I was lucky to escape it right on time, several people in my area weren't so lucky. One drowned in his car and several in their houses.
Even though you often argue sharply with us about debate topics, many of us were all pulling and praying for you and your family during that awful period. Despite our differences, we are all common CL members, and a number of us also suffered damage in that storm (fortunately, even with 70-MPH gusts at my house, I didn't). I remember you lost at least one of your vehicles....you where in contact with us whenever conditions allowed.

That storm was well-forecast in advance, though, so most people in your area didn't necessarily have to be taken by surprise. Some, though, because the last major storm before Sandy didn't do the same kind of damage that Sandy did, were somewhat complacent when the warnings for Sandy were issued.
Old 06-23-14, 04:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Even though you often argue sharply with us about debate topics, many of us were all pulling and praying for you and your family during that awful period. Despite our differences, we are all common CL members, and a number of us also suffered damage in that storm (fortunately, even with 70-MPH gusts at my house, I didn't). I remember you lost at least one of your vehicles....you where in contact with us whenever conditions allowed.
Yep, lost two cars but was able to salvage my van, even though it did need a number of repairs.

That storm was well-forecast in advance, though, so most people in your area didn't necessarily have to be taken by surprise. Some, though, because the last major storm before Sandy didn't do the same kind of damage that Sandy did, they were complacent when the warnings for Sandy were issued.
The problem is, they often overhype the upcoming storms. For instance, exactly a year before Sandy, they made such a huge hype over Irene - my whole area was evacuated, everyone boarded up their windows, there were huge lines at gas station - and nothing happened. So with Sandy most everyone simply ignored the warning. Almost nobody in my area evacuated, and paid the price.
Old 06-25-14, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like I might get a chance to practice what I preach today. A lot of humidity and a cold front along the East Coast today may bring some big rain-producers today.
Old 06-25-14, 01:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It's a major issue in my township; there are a number of roads prone to flooding. If flash floods are predicted, the local police get the signs out, ready to put in place at these intersections. But, as I have seen at least 4x this year alone (no superstorms), the weather people don't always get the forecast right, and the barricades don't always make it up in time. And some people just assume its safe enough to drive through, whether it's because they think that it's not so bad since there's no barricade, or whatever.
Old 06-25-14, 01:04 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Yep, lost two cars but was able to salvage my van, even though it did need a number of repairs.

The problem is, they often overhype the upcoming storms. For instance, exactly a year before Sandy, they made such a huge hype over Irene - my whole area was evacuated, everyone boarded up their windows, there were huge lines at gas station - and nothing happened. So with Sandy most everyone simply ignored the warning. Almost nobody in my area evacuated, and paid the price.
There was so much hype with Irene--the entire NJ shore was evacuated, I had to postpone vacation plans, and they didn't really get hit hard at all. But, then 10 days later, TS Lee came the first week of school (got the 5:30am school closure call and thought "WTF? Over some rain?") and took everyone by surprise as to how intense it really was; many many roads closed, and flooding in areas where it's not typical. No one was ready for that.

Quick Reply: Turn Around.....Don't Drown