Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 06:29 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
How do we know that the gap is negligible today? Since American vehicles of just a decade ago were rubbish, as has been proven above.
taurus is not a good example. we all know ford neglected taurus. it was a crap. made for rental.

i still see many of these in london.

i honestly don't know anything about its reliability, but i still see it everywhere and it doesn't look like a crap cosmetically.

i also see these everywhere. and it still looks pretty decent to me. didn't look like it's about to fall apart

and how about post pictures of 2004 corolla/civic/camry/us accord? i'm sure it won't be that much better than the focus/mondeo i posted above.
Old 06-27-14, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
taurus is not a good example. we all know ford neglected taurus. it was a crap. made for rental.
Reliability of most U.S.-market Taurus models, especially the earlier ones, was quite interesting. There seemed to be inconsistencies at the plants that produced them. Some of them were bulletproof and would go 150,000 miles with no major problems, some were more or less average, and some would spend more time in the shop than out.
Old 06-27-14, 07:56 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Uhmm we have those Focus in Australia and they're actually very unreliable. Major engine issues, transmission issues (auto) and every single Focus has a power steering issue that can be heard and felt by its buzzy hydrualic power module whenever your turn the wheel..
Old 06-27-14, 09:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Uhmm we have those Focus in Australia and they're actually very unreliable. Major engine issues, transmission issues (auto) and every single Focus has a power steering issue that can be heard and felt by its buzzy hydrualic power module whenever your turn the wheel..

Really, every single one?
Old 06-27-14, 10:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've held on to your Explorer a while now, haven't you? .
you know how old it is. and i've 'held on to it' (2006 v8 rwd explorer limited) because it's been completely reliable, roomy, quiet, and i've not found anything i have a strong itch to spend a huge chunk of money on to replace it with bills and taxes going up in every direction. but i continue to look at options

that graph is mind boggling. i honestly had no idea. i knew samsung was doing great
of course that graph is only the android story. if apple and microsoft were in the graph then samsung's share would look a LOT smaller.
Old 06-27-14, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Ford and American cars, although they ride smooth and feature new/modern features and technology they simply cannot match the quality, durability, and reliability of Toyota and Honda products.

I would be very skeptical and worried long term about vehicles like the Ford Focus Ecoboost, Buick Verano Turbo, or Cruze diesel. Toyota and Honda usually take a while impletmenting certain technologies so they can make sure they meet the time honored traditional of Japanese ownership.
Old 06-27-14, 01:30 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Vehicle Dependability Study is more important IMO. Lexus sets the standard

Hyundai is horrendous. I was under the false impression that they were reliable all this time.
Old 06-27-14, 03:16 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

looks like hyundai was above average and just fell below past 2 years.

Old 06-28-14, 08:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

looks like hyundai was above average and just fell below past 2 years.

The JD Power reports really are useless.
Old 06-28-14, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Buick #1 in the 2009 Vehicle Dependability study? And well above the industry average in all four years? So much for those who say that GM is still making junk. Lincoln, to its credit, also ranked well above the industry average all four years....despite making what IMO are some rather unimpressive vehicles.
Old 06-28-14, 09:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buick #1 in the 2009 Vehicle Dependability study? And well above the industry average in all four years? So much for those who say that GM is still making junk. Lincoln, to its credit, also ranked well above the industry average all four years....despite making what IMO are some rather unimpressive vehicles.
mmarshall , the results are meaningless. There is no verification process for JD. I just got a survey for my new Corolla purchase. I fudged the numbers to make it look like my Corolla was the worst ever new car experience?? I said it won't start after just three days of ownership. Just for fun I did it.

CR is just as bad, the paid members are the ones filling out the surveys. That's total bias and B.S.

As for the 5 year Buick, that means nothing. 5 years old is not much for a Toyota or Honda.

Although Buicks are plush, quiet riding and offer solid features for the money, they still can't match the time honored, trusted reputation of Japanese models. That is if you can find a higher mileage Buick on the road, keep in mind that 80% of most Toyotas are still on the road today.
Old 06-28-14, 09:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mmarshall , the results are meaningless. There is no verification process for JD. I just got a survey for my new Corolla purchase. I fudged the numbers to make it look like my Corolla was the worst ever new car experience?? I said it won't start after just three days of ownership. Just for fun I did it.

CR is just as bad, the paid members are the ones filling out the surveys. That's total bias and B.S.

As for the 5 year Buick, that means nothing. 5 years old is not much for a Toyota or Honda.

Although Buicks are plush, quiet riding and offer solid features for the money, they still can't match the time honored, trusted reputation of Japanese models. That is if you can find a higher mileage Buick on the road, keep in mind that 80% of most Toyotas are still on the road today.
While JDP and CR surveys may have some flaws (all surveys do) they are a sources of information, and influential for new car shoppers. IMO they are more accurate than anecdotal friend of a friend reports.
Old 06-28-14, 09:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

If Toyota is anything like Lexus, anything marked below 100% is considered a failure on the survey. The survey is tied to the Salesperson so in all honesty you probably grenade'ed' any chance of a bonus for them.
Old 06-28-14, 09:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
While JDP and CR surveys may have some flaws (all surveys do) they are a sources of information, and influential for new car shoppers. IMO they are more accurate than anecdotal friend of a friend reports.
The problem with CR is that their reviews are very carefully tailored to the same paying audience time and time again. This IMO is reflected in the fact that CR is always late in their reviews compared to MT, C & D, and even Auto blog. I would really like to see CR release their reviews day and date with the other auto reviews that are posted when the official manufacturer embargos are lifted.

The fact that CR buys their cars really means nothing at all.
Old 06-28-14, 09:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If Toyota is anything like Lexus, anything marked below 100% is considered a failure on the survey. The survey is tied to the Salesperson so in all honesty you probably grenade'ed' any chance of a bonus for them.
Haha yeah right. How do you know I faked the survey? You see how pointless they are , there is no verification process.

Quick Reply: 2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study