Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 03:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Initial quality isn't useless, hassles or constantly going into the dealer in the first 90 days can set a precedent and can quickly tarnish a consumer's overall satisfaction with the vehicle. You generally want a person to be happy with what is their 2nd largest purchase in life. As with many things in life, it comes down to that "first impression."

I don't think you can unequivocally say nothing comes close to Toyota or Honda, yes they're the leaders, but many people across many brands can hang onto their cars with simple maintenance and enjoy a similarly low level of issues for many many miles. Can't just say GM becomes junk or Ford is crap. Hyundai is starting to build their track record.

Companies are dynamic and forever changing. It's dangerous to get so deeply rooted in one's view/opinions. Sony once commanded huge premiums (some deserved) for outstanding quality and performance. They then proceeded to sit on their *** while other companies started to get aggressive and turn out more features and content for lower prices. They got knocked out by some upstart Koreans (LG and Samsung) among others, Vizio, etc. The same can happen to anyone. Sony still makes great stuff, no doubt, but they don't command nearly the market presence/share that they once had.
I stand by what I said
Old 06-25-14, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Companies are dynamic and forever changing. It's dangerous to get so deeply rooted in one's view/opinions. Sony once commanded huge premiums (some deserved) for outstanding quality and performance. They then proceeded to sit on their *** while other companies started to get aggressive and turn out more features and content for lower prices. They got knocked out by some upstart Koreans (LG and Samsung) among others, Vizio, etc. The same can happen to anyone. Sony still makes great stuff, no doubt, but they don't command nearly the market presence/share that they once had.
yes, but I am not sure what does car quality have to do with Sony and Samsung (LG is pretty crappy, does not compare).

Hyundai is nothing like Samsung and Sony is nothing like Toyota... it is two completely different industries and completely different companies. Long term quality is last thing people consider when they are buying a TV or phone... price and coolness factor are far more important. Most of the competing brands are produced in same factories anyway.

Vizio is actually from USA.

As to actual long term dependability, Hyundai's have been failing in past few years - as they start to sell more advanced vehicles with more features and more interesting powertrains, they also started having more issues.

So dependability as in reliability and not 90 days survey of how do you like your car.
Old 06-25-14, 05:21 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, but I am not sure what does car quality have to do with Sony and Samsung (LG is pretty crappy, does not compare).

Hyundai is nothing like Samsung and Sony is nothing like Toyota... it is two completely different industries and completely different companies. Long term quality is last thing people consider when they are buying a TV or phone... price and coolness factor are far more important. Most of the competing brands are produced in same factories anyway.

As to actual long term dependability, Hyundai's have been failing in past few years - as they start to sell more advanced vehicles with more features and more interesting powertrains, they also started having more issues.

So dependability as in reliability and not 90 days survey of how do you like your car.
didn't hyundai president resign for this?

i'm curious to see the results of every year. most likely the brand with most 1st year product probably would do worse than brand with no 1st year product.
Old 06-25-14, 06:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hlee12
didn't hyundai president resign for this?

i'm curious to see the results of every year. most likely the brand with most 1st year product probably would do worse than brand with no 1st year product.
yes... dependability ratings are done for 3 year old vehicles, and manufacturers update their vehicles at different years, nobody updates everything at the same time or else their manufacturing numbers would fluctuate too much.

As to their 2010 numbers, Hyundai fell down a lot:

Old 06-25-14, 10:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I never said Vizio wasn't from the U.S.

I understand that consumer electronics and automobiles are different industries. But there are MANY parallels that are being drawn in corporate strategy discussions around the globe about an entrenched quality king that could command a hefty price premium, that soon stopped pushing the edge and innovation, to be knocked out by an aggressive company that is looking for growth and can take huge leaps in each generation of new product. So yes, Sony and Toyota could be seen in similar lights and Hyundai and Samsung could be seen in similar lights. I'm sorry if you can't connect the dots and see beyond cars vs. electronics. Hyundai hasn't achieved it yet, but if Toyota doesn't get off their butts and keep investing in the right engineering resources, then they're going to fall behind, and already have in many respects.

As someone that has worked directly for the likes of Boeing, GM, Toyota, and as a consultant for firms across the globe I can assure you that this conversation happens within the walls by numerous parties daily.

Last edited by pbm317; 06-25-14 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 11:29 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Samsung phones are the lowest quality and most overpriced.

Plastic body, terrible screen and a terrible software optimisation (excessive stutter and lag)

Sony Xperia Z1 & 2 destroy any Samsung phone
Old 06-26-14, 04:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But there are MANY parallels that are being drawn in corporate strategy discussions around the globe about an entrenched quality king that could command a hefty price premium, that soon stopped pushing the edge and innovation, to be knocked out by an aggressive company that is looking for growth and can take huge leaps in each generation of new product. So yes, Sony and Toyota could be seen in similar lights and Hyundai and Samsung could be seen in similar lights. I'm sorry if you can't connect the dots and see beyond cars vs. electronics. Hyundai hasn't achieved it yet, but if Toyota doesn't get off their butts and keep investing in the right engineering resources, then they're going to fall behind, and already have in many respects.

As someone that has worked directly for the likes of Boeing, GM, Toyota, and as a consultant for firms across the globe I can assure you that this conversation happens within the walls by numerous parties daily.
no, there arent many parallels drawn in corporate world, thats for sure... You sound very uninformed. It was discussion maybe held 10 years ago, but not anymore.

There is a reason why Toyota's market cap is 4x more than Hyundai's, and why their sales are growing while Hyundai sales are actually going down. This is because Toyota has largest R&D in the world and because they invested it into high tech powertrains that make up 15% of their sales right now.

I have actually worked for both Toyota and Hyundai, and I follow electronics passionately. Approach of both companies can not be any different.

And is completely opposite of what happened to Sony, who was mismanaged for a long time and put out one mediocre product after another. Sony would have been in same place even if Samsung never existed (well, except for poaching of their engineers I guess).

Progress of Samsung and Hyundai was pretty similar up to the point of Galaxy line for Samsung, while Hyundai right now is stagnating. Their profits and their investment in R&D is not top 5 in the automotive world - stark difference to electronic business, where most of old electronic companies went away in (near) bankruptcy due to high legacy costs and poor products.
Old 06-26-14, 05:10 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Initial quality rating study is the most misleading/stupid survey I ever known (IMHO). It is only "examines problems experienced by vehicle owners during the first 90 days of ownership". The only true measurement is how well the car hold up after the warranty expired.
Maybe the reason Porsche is number ONE because Porsches didn't get driven a lot (to find out all the problems they have).
Where did you find that Porsches have lots of problems?
Old 06-26-14, 07:55 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yowps3
Samsung phones are the lowest quality and most overpriced.

Plastic body, terrible screen and a terrible software optimisation (excessive stutter and lag)

Sony Xperia Z1 & 2 destroy any Samsung phone

people still buy sony?
Old 06-26-14, 08:05 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The initial quality is useless to me. News cars have a warranty so that usually takes care of the 90 days.

Up to 5 years, Toyota has power train warranties, can't remember if Honda has the same.

Now, after 5 years, nothing comes close to Toyota or Honda. No surveys are needed to confirm that.

. GM become junk, Ford is crap, and Hyundai has no track record. The Germans also don't hold up. No surveys are need to confirm either LOL.

quiet possibly the most depressing post ever i've read in this forum.
Old 06-26-14, 08:07 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I stand by what I said
you stand by your blind faith? cool
Old 06-26-14, 04:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

people still buy sony?
I do, they make great products, PS3, PSP, blu ray players, etc, especially the higher end stuff like XBR tv's.
Old 06-26-14, 05:44 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

you stand by your blind faith? cool
LexsCTJill is correct.

Look at 10yrs old cars. Toyota & Honda are the main two mainstream brands that hold up well.

Look at 10yrs old Ford's, they are junk

10yrs old Honda;

Last edited by yowps3; 06-26-14 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:46 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

people still buy sony?
It's the best phone out

Old 06-26-14, 05:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Look at 10yrs old cars. Toyota & Honda are the main two mainstream brands that hold up well.

Look at 10yrs old Ford's, they are junk
so incredibly out of touch.

2004 f-150 - still priced over $22K...

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...5578/overview/

Quick Reply: 2014 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study