Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?

Old 06-15-14, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The Civic Hybrid is not really a hybrid. It cannot run on electric power alone like a Prius. It is really an assist and is far less complex than the Toyota Synergy Drive.
That used to be the case with the older Honda IMA system, but no more. The newest Honda plug-in system operates pretty much like the Chevy Volt, Ford C-Max / Fusion Energi, or Toyota Prius plug-in. It can run a distance on the electrics alone before the gas engine cuts in to recharge it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-15-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That used to be the case with the older Honda IMA system, but no more. The newest Honda plug-in systems operate pretty much like the Chevy Volt, Ford C-Max / Fusion Energi, or Toyota Prius plug-in. It can run a distance on the electrics alone before the gas engine cuts in to recharge it.
Thanks for the correction Mike

Old 06-15-14, 11:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome dude.

My 2007 GS 450h now has around 134k miles. Here are some recent iPhone pics as I installed some Lexon Exclusive parts.

It was my first hybrid and we have been all over together, from long 600 mile + road trips, to the drag strip, to cruising around the city. It also is modified, which makes it even more rare. I am beyond pleased with owning the GS 450h and can only offer the highest recommendaton.

What has gone wrong? An HID bulb went out, which I replaced with 6k bulbs . Nothing was wrong with the engine but I did the valve spring recall. The passenger side lock was a little loose and was replaced with a new one. The biggest thing was at around 104k miles or so the hybrid battery system did fail, I believe it was a failed solenoid which mean the entire system needed to be replaced. You can only imagine my initial fear as the car was just out of warranty and it would ultimately be up to Lexus discretion to replace fully, partially or not.

Clearly my relationship with Lexus is "different" but I did my due diligence by always having my car serviced by the great people at Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett. You see when things are out of warranty Lexus (and ALL brands) checks your service records. Taking your car to the dealership as scheduled and having full service records really helps your case if something breaks out of warranty. in just 24 hours I was informed that Lexus had approved for my battery to be replaced as a "goodwill" gesture. I was stunned. To stun me even more, they overnighted the 300lbs battery from California to Atlanta and it was replaced by the wonderful VVti here in a day. Before I could blink I was back in my GS 450h. They joked about how heavy the battery was and how it was a PITA to take it out. The bill was around $7,000 when all was said and done. It just added reinforcement that this is a company I believe in and can support.

Since then I have had no issues with the car. Other people that have driven it are shocked to find out it has that many miles and it is a hybrid. I was not the first hybrid at all but hopefully I could help change some perceptions of hybrid cars, that they are cool, they are reliable, they can be modified and they can make TV

The car is now for sale as it is time to move on but I 100% endorse any Lexus/Toyota hybrid as I am one happy owner.
Congratulations and awesome! Your GS 450h is a testament to Lexus hybrids. I remember watching you and your GSh on "My Ride Rules"...you are truly a celebrity.

http://www.tv.com/shows/my-ride-rule...ybrid-2466850/

You have the most passion when it comes to Lexus and not just a few of the upper echelon Lexus models such as the LFA, IS F, LX 570, etc...but you are passionate about all Lexus models from all levels from the CTh to the LFA and every model in between. You've had family members that have owned the RX 400h, ES 300h and the HS 250h so I know that you endorse Lexus/Toyota hybrids. At first I was hesitant when it came to hybrids and now that I've had my CT 200h for over three years I'm a happy owner as well. You've personally ridden in my CTh in numerous occasions and it's been an honor...you are a Lexus/Vossen rock star...

Last edited by Trexus; 06-23-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 11:50 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What has gone wrong?
at around 104k miles or so the hybrid battery system did fail,

Clearly my relationship with Lexus is "different"

The bill was around $7.000 when all was said and done.
So basically your Lexus hybrid system failed completely at only 104k miles, but would have cost you $7000 () if not for your special relationship with Lexus? And this is somehow proof of a reliable hybrid system? You just made a case that these hybrid systems (at least the one in the Lexus GS450h) are not that reliable at all! 104k miles is nothing for pretty much any and all Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Yet your Lexus HYBRID failed at only 104k? Not good.

Sounds to me you got pretty lucky because of your "relationship". Doesn't sound like a reliable system, however.
Old 06-15-14, 11:57 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Trexus
Congratulations and awesome! Your GS 450h is a testament to Lexus hybrids. .
How can a complete hybrid system failure be a testament to Lexus hybrids?
Kudos to Lexus for taking care of one of their own, and I know they have done other "good will" gestures for other loyal customers with other issues just out of warranty. But seriously, a complete hybrid system failure at only 104k miles is not good at all and I can't see how anyone can see that this is anything but a terrible example for Lexus hybrids.
Old 06-16-14, 12:43 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

now we begin to think about how to recycle these cars

i wonder if it will be much more difficult to recycle hybrid and electric cars even with the batteries taken out?

and just what would you do with the batteries with more than 200k miles on them for example?
Old 06-16-14, 02:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Used-car listing aggregator iSeeCars analyzed more than 20 million used-car listings posted during April and May, looking specifically at the listed mileage on the cars.[/url]
what a stupid survey... Civic hybrid had a lot of issues with batteries not lasting long... obviously owners did no trash their cars but repaired them.
Old 06-16-14, 02:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
now we begin to think about how to recycle these cars

i wonder if it will be much more difficult to recycle hybrid and electric cars even with the batteries taken out?

and just what would you do with the batteries with more than 200k miles on them for example?
these questions have been answered 10 years ago.. Toyota will buy back your old battery for $250.... rest of the car is the same as any other car and highly recyclable.

In fact, these batteries are highly recyclable... depending on charge left, they continue using them in homes/business's or recycle >98% of the battery with nothing toxic ending up at landfill.
Old 06-16-14, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

In fact, these batteries are highly recyclable... depending on charge left, they continue using them in homes/business's or recycle >98% of the battery with nothing toxic ending up at landfill.
The lithium in state-of-the-art hybrid batteries is especially valuable....and is worth recycling to make new batteries with. World supplies of raw lithium ore are quite limited (much of the known reserves are in Bolivia, and many countries and companies are struggling to get mining-rights in Bolivia for it).
Old 06-16-14, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
Congratulations and awesome! Your GS 450h is a testament to Lexus hybrids. I remember watching you and your GSh on "My Ride Rules"...you are truly a celebrity.

http://www.tv.com/shows/my-ride-rule...ybrid-2466850/

You have the most passion when it comes to Lexus and not just a few of the upper echelon Lexus models such as the LFA, IS F, LX 570, etc...but you are passionate about all Lexus models from all levels from the CTh to the LFA and every model in between. You've had family members that have owned the RX 400h and the HS 250h so I know that you endorse Lexus/Toyota hybrids. At first I was hesitant when it came to hybrids and now that I've had my CT 200h for over three years I'm a happy owner as well. You've personally ridden in my CT in numerous occasions and it's been an honor...you are a Lexus/Vossen rock star...
Thanks bro I appreciate it. We are both long time owners of multiple Lexus cars and gasp attend events and meets etc. Unfortunately some people rather spend their time bashing and trolling and adding absolutely nothing productive to this forum. Must be a miserable life.

I could have easily not even mentioned the failure or acted like the car had no issues. The truth is the truth and I still support Lexus hybrid systems. They have a good track history of supporting people who have had issues with hybrid systems OUT OF WARRANTY and should be commended for it.

Infiniti G20 owners

Old 06-16-14, 10:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
So basically your Lexus hybrid system failed completely at only 104k miles, but would have cost you $7000 () if not for your special relationship with Lexus? And this is somehow proof of a reliable hybrid system? You just made a case that these hybrid systems (at least the one in the Lexus GS450h) are not that reliable at all! 104k miles is nothing for pretty much any and all Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Yet your Lexus HYBRID failed at only 104k? Not good.

Sounds to me you got pretty lucky because of your "relationship". Doesn't sound like a reliable system, however.
LOL, I thought the same thing, what a ridiculous thing to sing praises of a car/hybrid sytsem to then write it completely failed after just a little over 100K miles to the tune of a $7000
repair bill and say this is a testament to Lexus hybrids. It is a testament to someone's "relationship" with Lexus/their dealer that they did not get stuck with that outrageous repair bill for a major component to fail which in other cases other unlucky owners could have to pay if they did not dedicate so much time and effort throughout their lives praising Lexus.

If I owned a car, even one I bought used for 4 or 5 years and got socked with a $7000 repair bill/component failure after just 100K miles I would not be praising/defending the car at all(maybe that was part of the agreement with Lexus for covering it). I would be outraged and scared of having to pay so much and owning essentially a worthless car unless it gets repaired, I would definitely be breathing a huge sigh of relief it was covered out of warranty.

$7000 is more then a engine and transmission replacement combined in your average vehicle in the first 100K miles, how is that a good thing that it did not fail again and the car has been mostly reliable in just 140K miles which is nothing for a modern car.

I have a feeling if that 7K repair bill was not covered and Lexus refused to cover the out of warranty repair like they do in most cases with other issues like door lock actuator failures, ball joint failures, etc you would be singing a very different tune, well in this case/poster maybe not.
Old 06-16-14, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
If I owned a car,.
That says a lot.

Since you are not a hybrid owner and have no idea of what Lexus has done for people let me reiterate since you missed the last post. Lexus has a great track history replacing and taking care of people OUT OF WARRANTY. The fact of the matter is the hybrid system is warrantied for 100k miles so past that it is a fair ballgame. These hybrids were the first of their kind, the Lexus GS being the worlds first RWD hybrid sport sedan so the technology is older compared to today.

My story is only one. Some people have no had to change a thing. Some people have before 100k miles. I stand behind Lexus/Toyota hybrids as great options for people.

My feedback is of actual ownership, with high mileage, which is exactly what the thread and O.P is about. You and your friend's feedback are based on what I wrote since neither of you have any experience owning a Lexus or Toyota or any hybrid. Instead of saying "thank you" for the feedback, you two are trying to be cute with your responses.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-16-14 at 11:11 AM.

Old 06-16-14, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

... at around 104k miles or so the hybrid battery system did fail, I believe it was a failed solenoid which mean the entire system needed to be replaced.
a failed solenoid required the whole system had to be replaced?

... Clearly my relationship with Lexus is "different" ... It just added reinforcement that this is a company I believe in and can support.
that's awesome your unque situation, loyalty, dedication, and connections were rewarded. of course the typical owner likely has none of those things and would probably be consulting a lawyer if they were faced with a $7K repair bill at 104K.

anyway, reliable or not, definitely an awesome car to drive...
Old 06-16-14, 11:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My feedback is of actual ownership, with high mileage, which is exactly what the thread and O.P is about.
thanks for the posts and feedback

I appreciate it.

Seems as tho your car was a 1%er and Lexus STILL took care of you....! Nice, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-14, 11:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a failed solenoid required the whole system had to be replaced?

that's awesome your unque situation, loyalty, dedication, and connections were rewarded. of course the typical owner likely has none of those things and would probably be consulting a lawyer if they were faced with a $7K repair bill at 104K.

anyway, reliable or not, definitely an awesome car to drive...
People are interpreting what I said as the only way something will be replaced. I clearly stated I did my due diligence in getting my GS 450h serviced at the dealer. I explained in detail how this process works for EVERYONE. In the hybrid forums we have multiple stories on how Lexus has taken care of people, met them halfway or denied out of warranty work.

I shared my story and it seems two people took it, twisted it and regurgitated their distaste for me instead of actually understanding what was said. I feel like Obama

Originally Posted by bagwell
thanks for the posts and feedback

I appreciate it.

Seems as tho your car was a 1%er and Lexus STILL took care of you....! Nice, thanks for sharing.
Thank you bagwell.

It was a very rare failure, it was the first the dealership ever saw. And again its not just me, to Lexus credit they have taken care of many many people, its in the forums, its in person. They don't have to do anything, the car is out of warranty, you could be S.O.L. I merely mentioned my relationship but also stated my car was serviced by the dealer. Too many people buy a used Lexus, never get it serviced at the dealer, have minimal if any records, then something goes wrong and they take it to the dealer and expect to get a LFA loaner, Dom P to drink and out of warranty work covered. I could share some really crazy stories

Last edited by LexFather; 06-16-14 at 11:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Long Do Hybrid Cars Last: Which Will Make 150,000 Miles?