Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti's new badging confusing..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 11:09 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
don't see what's so complicated...

Q - for sedans, coupes and convertibles,
QX - for crossover and SUV models.

Each model will be further identified by a double digit representing hierarchy within the range.
Except where does the new ESQ fit into this picture?
Old 06-16-14, 03:04 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The rebadging of our vehicles was a logical choice."

It's so logical that it's confusing the masses. Unless you have the full lineup brochure in your hand, It's hard to quickly recall which model is which now.
Old 06-16-14, 03:52 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nabbun
"The rebadging of our vehicles was a logical choice."

It's so logical that it's confusing the masses. Unless you have the full lineup brochure in your hand, It's hard to quickly recall which model is which now.
It's so confusing that a single model name can answer any question about it....

Seriously, though, it's more confusing to determine which engine the MB E63 has than it is to figure out which car is the QX60.
Old 06-16-14, 04:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
It's so confusing that a single model name can answer any question about it....

Seriously, though, it's more confusing to determine which engine the MB E63 has than it is to figure out which car is the QX60.
Lets not forget that originally the Q45 did stand for a 4.5 V-8. That is why a lot of people think the number stands for the size of the engine.

Then the 2nd gen had I believe a 4.1 liter V-8 but they still called it Q45. So they have done the same thing.

Unfortunately Infiniti has had nearly 3 decades of serious opportunity in regards to marketing. We also are now in a world where Audi uses Q and has been successful with it (Q5, Q7 and now Q3 and I think Q1).

If they were going to reuse a letter, G would have been a better choice to me since it was their most successful car line.

Old 06-16-14, 05:58 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Thank you. I almost think people are intentionally trying to make this harder than it is.
This. I actually kind of question the validity of this thread and the agenda of the OP to even start a new thread on this after almost a year after the complete change to this new nomenclature from Infiniti

Originally Posted by pbm317
Points of change are tough for people. Infiniti claims the move will make more sense as more cars become hybrid and/or electric, or as smaller displacement turbos might be positioned above certain gas engine variants.

It's not that hard overall. It's very similar to Volvo's naming convention.
Exactly. Especially when hybrids and turbos are in the picture. Everyone knows the 7 Series as the 7 Series and the S Class as the S Class. I think they're just trying to simplify their model names so that the Q50 will always be a Q50 - regardless of what's powering it. Instead of constantly having to change the numbers indicating the displacement of the engine. Lexus for example may run into problems with this in the future as they add more variants to their lineup.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't see anything confusing with infiniti's naming, except that it's new and different from what they had before. it's actually a lot simpler now and more consistent.
^ This ^

Originally Posted by jwong77
Except where does the new ESQ fit into this picture?
Perhaps this is the concept name? It wouldn't make sense to have every SUV/Crossover be called a QX and then have an oddball ESQ in the mix. I have to think this model will be called a QX40 or something.

Originally Posted by LexFather

If they were going to reuse a letter, G would have been a better choice to me since it was their most successful car line.
No, that would be a terrible idea.
Old 06-16-14, 06:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
This. I actually kind of question the validity of this thread and the agenda of the OP to even start a new thread on this after almost a year after the complete change to this new nomenclature from Infiniti

a.
If it wasn't confusing their own CEO would not have had to write a memo to explain it. Various editorials would not have been written trying to understand it. There would not be threads all over the internet talking about how confusing it is.

It is beyond RIDICULOUS that a person that comes here just to stir the pot in INfiniit threads accuses another member of an agenda. He asked a simple question, sorry it offends your favorite brand.

The fact of the matter is while a fanboi might understand it and defend it, the average consumer or even person in the automobile industry will be confused. Just imagine hundreds of Discount Tire employees used to FX, G37, etc now getting questions about a Q50 or QX60 whatever and not having the foggiest idea what people are talking about.

The Infiniti G35/G37 sedan and coupe were their most successful cars. They have a very diehard fan base and most HATE the name change. You have a bunch of G37 owners now being told their car is a Q60 and Q40 when they didn't even redesign the car. It has created confusion.The G had the most brand equity, it was getting to be well known and they threw it away. Instead they use Q which was a failed product. Imagine BMW naming all their cars the Isetta lol. Again maybe in 20 years it will all make sense but today, it is confusing.

Old 06-16-14, 07:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Meh. Call me optimistic on this one, but once all of Infiniti's cars have been brought into the new generation (and the G37 finally dies) I seriously doubt it's going to cause that much confusion. I suppose it's difficult because some models got a name change without a redesign but its clear that's about to be resolved. I typically ignore the editorials as they're still complaining about BMW offering a 320i, a 328i, and a 328d despite them all having the same displacement.

If people can make sense out of Volvo's very similar naming scheme they'll be able to handle this.
Old 06-16-14, 08:47 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

If it wasn't confusing their own CEO would not have had to write a memo to explain it. Various editorials would not have been written trying to understand it. There would not be threads all over the internet talking about how confusing it is.
Various editorials written to understand it? lol
Links?

Their CEO wrote a memo to explain it because it was a major change in how they name their vehicles. It's called being professional and having good communication with your customer base.

It is beyond RIDICULOUS that a person that comes here just to stir the pot in INfiniit threads accuses another member of an agenda. He asked a simple question, sorry it offends your favorite brand.
As if the only threads I post in are Infiniti threads

The fact of the matter is while a fanboi might understand it and defend it, the average consumer or even person in the automobile industry will be confused.
Calling me a "fanboi" is bait and I believe that is against board policy.

Just imagine hundreds of Discount Tire employees used to FX, G37, etc now getting questions about a Q50 or QX60 whatever and not having the foggiest idea what people are talking about.
Oh yes, it's soooo confusing for people in the tire business to not follow changes in the automotive industry and new models being added constantly. Hey let me tell you something, if Discount Tire employees are getting "confused" about keeping on top of their JOB, then they should be fired immediately and those owners who don't do the same deserve to go out of business.

The Infiniti G35/G37 sedan and coupe were their most successful cars. They have a very diehard fan base and most HATE the name change. You have a bunch of G37 owners now being told their car is a Q60 and Q40 when they didn't even redesign the car. It has created confusion.The G had the most brand equity, it was getting to be well known and they threw it away. Instead they use Q which was a failed product. Imagine BMW naming all their cars the Isetta lol. Again maybe in 20 years it will all make sense but today, it is confusing.
And the QX is their most expensive vehicle and one of the best selling premium SUVs in the market. It makes total sense they would choose the letter "Q" since it has always represented their top of the line sedan and has always represented their top of the line SUV. I think choosing the letter "G" just because it was their best selling product for awhile is not a wise business decision. Besides, your argument is completely irrelevant and foolish as the market has spoken and the Q50 is outselling the G37. People don't care much about names. Ultimately it comes down to the product itself. The point is, they changed pretty much everything to Q and all Q models are selling.
Old 06-16-14, 09:08 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

totally agreed. it's stupid because normal people just assume things. when you see Q50 i'm sure there are many people who automatically assume it's 5.0. Q60? people will be like is that a 6.0? dayum! Q70? ah snap, infiniti is getting serious.

maybe it was intentional. lol
Old 06-16-14, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Meh. Call me optimistic on this one, but once all of Infiniti's cars have been brought into the new generation (and the G37 finally dies) I seriously doubt it's going to cause that much confusion. I suppose it's difficult because some models got a name change without a redesign but its clear that's about to be resolved. I typically ignore the editorials as they're still complaining about BMW offering a 320i, a 328i, and a 328d despite them all having the same displacement.

If people can make sense out of Volvo's very similar naming scheme they'll be able to handle this.
I'm a car guy, I can't make out Volvo's and hardly anyone I know does except die hard Volvo guys. Tango, I am telling you, in the industry, it has caused tons of confusion and I'm not sure why anyone is upset that it is. They changed all their names, it is going to confuse people until everything is sorted out years later and hopefully they don't change things again.

Imagine BMW saying "Now all our cars and SUVS will use 3 and we are dropping everything else? Imagine Lexus saying "Now all our cars and SUVS will use LS and LX". It would cause mass confusion.

Why are people surprised or upset there is confusion? They re-named everything. No matter if you support the change or not, it will cause confusion.

Their CEO wrote a memo to explain it because it was a major change in how they name their vehicles. It's called being professional and having good communication with your customer base.
I guess you don't read major auto news.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/infinit...topping-sedan/

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/17/i...naming-scheme/

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/...entire-lineup/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...me-change.html

There are tons more, I'm sure you have google.

It is confusing, otherwise there would be no MEMO about it. The MEMO wasn't written initially, it was in response to the uproar from Infiniti owners and fans. . If it was not confusing there would not be a thread about it. Actually multiple threads, all over the internet. If you actually talk to a living and breathing human being about these things, you would hear they feel very similar, that the name changing is confusing. That is actually one of the nicer things said "confusing". How about "disaster", "dumb", "ridiculous".

As if the only threads I post in are Infiniti threads
They are and your name obviously lets us all know how you feel. And its doing it wrong.

Calling me a "fanboi" is bait and I believe that is against board policy.
I did not call you a fanboi but if the shoe fits....

Oh yes, it's soooo confusing for people in the tire business to not follow changes in the automotive industry and new models being added constantly. Hey let me tell you something, if Discount Tire employees are getting "confused" about keeping on top of their JOB, then they should be fired immediately and those owners who don't do the same deserve to go out of business.
They should be fired because you think so because you are defending the name change. Isn't that extreme???? Let me explain something, in the industry, the name change has caused mass confusion. Will it take time to get to know? Certainly, if people even care to. You are so upset about people not liking or embracing the name change you think everyone in the world should be fired? Wow.

You must cut your wrists every time a review or article spells Infiniti, Infinity, 25 years after their existence.

And the QX is their most expensive vehicle and one of the best selling premium SUVs in the market. It makes total sense they would choose the letter "Q" since it has always represented their top of the line sedan and has always represented their top of the line SUV. I think choosing the letter "G" just because it was their best selling product for awhile is not a wise business decision. Besides, your argument is completely irrelevant and foolish as the market has spoken and the Q50 is outselling the G37. People don't care much about names. Ultimately it comes down to the product itself. The point is, they changed pretty much everything to Q and all Q models are selling
You are posting out of emotion and not experience as this isn't well thought out at all. Let's break this down

1. Most Infinit owners have G20, G35 or G37. The vast majority actually. It was their bread and butter and the car that began their temporary turnaround. They are passionate and many are huge fans. They decide to abandon them for Q? Who decides to not use their most popular and famous name for one that is associated with failure and one that Audi now uses? Its like the CEO said "hey worked for Audi, let me bring it back here". In my opinion, G rolls off the tongue better for one and it builds on what they have done.

2. If your measure of success is pitting the new Q50 vs the 7 year old, limited volume G37, well that is just sad. The Q50 hasn't really sold amazingly well and not as well as the G37 when it was at its best. We will see if things pick up.

Finally, this really says all we need to know.

People don't care much about names
If that was really true, then your favorite brand Infiniti would not have gone through all this trouble to change the names now would they?

Old 06-16-14, 10:24 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

It's only confusing for some now. It won't be confusing in 5 years, and it certainly isn't confusing in the rest of the world where Infiniti is only beginning to grow.

Perhaps they should have saved the rebadging for face lifts (ex 2015 Q70 and QX80) and redesigns (Q50). Regardless, in long run the move makes good sense.
Old 06-17-14, 03:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

... in the industry, it has caused tons of confusion... it is going to confuse people...
... No matter if you support the change or not, it will cause confusion. ...
It is confusing, otherwise there would be no MEMO about it. ... If it was not confusing there would not be a thread about it. ... If you actually talk to a living and breathing human being about these things, you would hear they feel very similar, that the name changing is confusing. ... Let me explain something, in the industry, the name change has caused mass confusion.
i think you're saying it's confusing or has caused confusion.

anyway, agree no doubt it has but then...

Imagine BMW saying "Now all our cars and SUVS will use 3 and we are dropping everything else?
well that's not really what infiniti did (using a Q prefix and different numbers, not everything using a single number), but on a related note, bmw changing the legendary 3 series coupe to be a 4 series? sure we can all understand it, but i have no doubt it causes confusion also among those who don't follow these things.

anyway, all this Qonfusion (like that? ) will soon be a thing of the past.

since infiniti sells a half dozen vehicles a month it's hardly earth-shattering.
Old 06-17-14, 04:26 AM
LexFather

Cool

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i

anyway, all this Qonfusion (like that? ) will soon be a thing of the past.

Well played...

Old 06-17-14, 05:21 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since infiniti sells a half dozen vehicles a month it's hardly earth-shattering.[/QUOTE]

My second lol from the forums today! Thx Bitkahuna.
Old 06-17-14, 10:17 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

What bothers me the most is that with the nomenclature change, you lose branding that you have with names like M series, J series, G, I, etc. Now the grand Q gets all muddled with various models. Makes you think that it's 3 different Q models with different trim/engines but it's actually 3 different models.

Quick Reply: Infiniti's new badging confusing..