Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which One Should I Get? Camaro ZL1 or Jaguar F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 05:56 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Well I can speak to this from first hand experience. I owned two recent 911s prior to picking up my F Type. The 911s were great cars, but the Jaguar has something that they lacked - soul. Where the 911 is competent and clinical, the Jag is exciting and truly stirs the soul. My 911s gathered little to no attention, people know what it is, they know it's a great car, and they know it's expensive. Other than that they rarely got a second glance and rarely gathered much interest.

When I drive the Jag, the reaction is very different. People absolutely love it. I can't drive it without someone winding down their window at a stoplight to say something about the car, to ask what it is, to ask me what it's like to drive, to comment on the exhaust note and just generally tell me how much they like it That just never happened when I was in my Porsche. Neither Porsche nor Jaguar are exotic brands, but if one measure of that is the interest the car gathers the F Type has the 911 beat hands down. The attention the car gets is just exponentially greater. It's in a different league in that regard.

To the OP. Drive the Jag. You will love it. I've owned a fair few cars in this price bracket and the Jag is not only my favorite but the one that most feels worth the money.
Interesting. I have never anything close to a 911 having no soul. That is very odd. In fact, nearly every journalist I've read about the current 911 speaks to the contrary rather fervently. Although the Jag costs about 15-20k more, in four years (if not less) the 911 will be worth more.