Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which One Should I Get? Camaro ZL1 or Jaguar F-Type R?

Old 06-23-14, 02:40 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it is mid-life crisis, Tango Red, but it didn't just come on. I've been suffering the pangs for a few years now, but couldn't do anything about it cause I was busy paying 250K to college bills for my two daughters over a six year period. That was my out of pocket cost, after subtracting for partial scholarships. My GS 350 was my first dip in the mid-life crisis waters. Damn, I love the car but it isn't enough. I'm 60. I thought about getting a 20 something year old girlfriend but decided that would get me into more trouble than it would be worth. So I leased the 2013 GS 350, my first ever lease. It's only been 11 months on a 27 month lease. How do I get rid of it early?

You guys got me all fired up now about that Jag. It will be totally impractical and probably stupid, but not as stupid as getting a 25 year old girlfriend on the side (yes, a young thing is doable. I had a doctor tell me three months ago that he had his nurse double check my age because when he looked at me he thought I was about 45. He thought the birth date I put down was an error. When I really was in my early 40s I was carded at a Barbecue Rib joint when I ordered a beer and they did not do that as a matter of routine. Good genes, I guess). What do I do with this lease? This is my first one.

I should add, I don't hunt, fish, ski, golf, camp, hike, bike, or play fantasy football. I need some excitement in my life. I think an F-type R would do it. I love driving, even if I don't have a specific destination.

Last edited by Trek; 06-23-14 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

With the lease you have to wait until you can sell it or trade it for the payoff. The payoff is your residual plus all the remaining lease payments.

So, if your residual was $40,000, and you have 15 payments remaining of $500 totaling $7,500, you would need to sell it or trade it for $47,500 now to get out if it without owing any money.

I lease for 36 months, but I've found its achievable about 6 months early. You likely are still too early in your lease to get out of it clean.
Old 06-23-14, 03:41 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If the GS350 was you dipping your toe into the mid life crisis pool, then either car has more power than you will be able to use and control.

Originally Posted by Trek
It will be totally impractical and probably stupid, but not as stupid as getting a 25 year old girlfriend on the side.
Buying either car may be impractical, but the stupid part will be when you crash. Get on a track first!

http://www.poconoracingschool.com/po...car-racing.php
Old 06-23-14, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
If the GS350 was you dipping your toe into the mid life crisis pool, then either car has more power than you will be able to use and control.

Buying either car may be impractical, but the stupid part will be when you crash. Get on a track first!
I agree that if one is going to do serious track driving, he or she needs adequate training or experience...perhaps at a track school like Skip Barber or equivalent. But, just because one owns a 500-600 HP car, that doesn't mean that one cannot drive it on the street with some common sense. I myself have reviewed a number of high-HP/torque products...including the M3, IS-F, Jag XKR Supercharged, both base and upmarket Corvettes, and two of the most bad-a** sedans of them all....the Mercedes C63 and E63 AMG. I gave them all a fair workout on public roads, but with common sense....and I was almost the age of trek when I did it.
Old 06-23-14, 03:54 PM
LexFather

Crap. Money is an issue. Is the Jag doable? Yes, I can still pay my mortgage, put some dough away for retirement, and pay my car insurance for the Jag and my five other cars. However, it will be a huge stretch, requiring some frugality in other areas. I just don't think the ZL1 or a Vette would give me the emotional wallop and satisfaction I desire.

And there's another factor. I'm not getting any younger. I'm developing a feeling of now or never. Ten years from now, I think I'll be too old to drive either one. A couple of months ago, one of my team members died suddenly. He was in his early 40s and had never been sick. I'm a lot older and I started to think: Why not go for it? You only live once. What am I waiting for? The ideal time? When is the ideal time to go for it? My kids are now out of college, so no more expensive tuition bills. Buying a Jaguar F-Type R is a bit of a selfish thing to do unless you're rich. I feel that way. But what's wrong with being a little "I want to do something for me" when you've done much for your family?

I guess I'm torn. I can do this, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and conservative. The Jag is an extravagance, but I feel entitled to an extravagance. I'm tired of being conservative. It's so boring to make every decision in life based on practicality and/or cost. So boring! I just have to figure out how to deal with the guilt after I do this. I think that's the only thing stopping me. How do I handle the guilt I will surely feel? Will I be trashing a portion of my kids' inheritance by paying an extra 40K for the Jag? It's tearing me up, right now. I'm starting to hate being responsible and conventional!! It's so hard to break out.
If you want the Jag I know a great dealer here in Miami, they are always ranked in the top 10 of dealerships in the states (all dealerships all brands). We work a lot together and modified the first F-type with wheels..
http://www.vossenwheels.com/CarGalle...VSCV3-984.aspx

The F-type is truly one of those rare special, soulful vehicles....

Old 06-23-14, 07:21 PM
Trek
Pole Position

I'm lucky. Even though I live in semi-rural PA, as luck would have it, there is a Jag dealer only 8-9 miles from my house. They also sell Range Rovers. That's where I went to test drive the F-Type S Coupe (they didn't have an R on the lot at the time) and fell in love with the car.
Old 06-23-14, 07:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well my friend, I think you've made up your mind. Just get it when the time is right. The F-type isn't going anywhere...in fact more special editions are surely on the way. Perhaps let the Lexus lease ride out for a little while longer than make the plunge. Either way make plans to go get that Jag!

Originally Posted by SW13GS
With the lease you have to wait until you can sell it or trade it for the payoff. The payoff is your residual plus all the remaining lease payments.

So, if your residual was $40,000, and you have 15 payments remaining of $500 totaling $7,500, you would need to sell it or trade it for $47,500 now to get out if it without owing any money.

I lease for 36 months, but I've found its achievable about 6 months early. You likely are still too early in your lease to get out of it clean.
Yup.

Originally Posted by pvmike1

http://www.poconoracingschool.com/po...car-racing.php

Meh. He'll be OK without the track days if he uses some common sense. Heed my warning though- this F-type WILL step sideways at a moments provocation. If the tires are cold then its just game over. Thankfully it has fantastic traction control.

This car has caught me off guard more than once, but that's more due to the jumpy throttle more than me driving like a jackass. Let's call it a 70/30 split.
Old 06-23-14, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Yeah, I agree a powerful RWD car can be a handful, but at 60+ years old he has enough driving experience that he should be fine.

If he were 25 or younger I'd say absolutely. Or hell, those courses are a great time so go for it anyways (I've done them).
Old 06-23-14, 09:28 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Ford doesn't even own Jaguar anymore.
Old 06-23-14, 11:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ford doesn't even own Jaguar anymore.
Shame too, since JLR is seeing positive results from their new desirable vehicles
Old 06-24-14, 01:57 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Crap. Money is an issue. Is the Jag doable? Yes, I can still pay my mortgage, put some dough away for retirement, and pay my car insurance for the Jag and my five other cars. However, it will be a huge stretch, requiring some frugality in other areas. I just don't think the ZL1 or a Vette would give me the emotional wallop and satisfaction I desire.

And there's another factor. I'm not getting any younger. I'm developing a feeling of now or never. Ten years from now, I think I'll be too old to drive either one. A couple of months ago, one of my team members died suddenly. He was in his early 40s and had never been sick. I'm a lot older and I started to think: Why not go for it? You only live once. What am I waiting for? The ideal time? When is the ideal time to go for it? My kids are now out of college, so no more expensive tuition bills. Buying a Jaguar F-Type R is a bit of a selfish thing to do unless you're rich. I feel that way. But what's wrong with being a little "I want to do something for me" when you've done much for your family?

I guess I'm torn. I can do this, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and conservative. The Jag is an extravagance, but I feel entitled to an extravagance. I'm tired of being conservative. It's so boring to make every decision in life based on practicality and/or cost. So boring! I just have to figure out how to deal with the guilt after I do this. I think that's the only thing stopping me. How do I handle the guilt I will surely feel? Will I be trashing a portion of my kids' inheritance by paying an extra 40K for the Jag? It's tearing me up, right now. I'm starting to hate being responsible and conventional!! It's so hard to break out.
Why on earth didn't you add the Lotus Evora or Porsche 911 into your group? They are far more exotic than the Jag and will hold their value exponentially better.
Old 06-24-14, 03:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99
Why on earth didn't you add the Lotus Evora or Porsche 911 into your group? They are far more exotic than the Jag and will hold their value exponentially better.
Well I can speak to this from first hand experience. I owned two recent 911s prior to picking up my F Type. The 911s were great cars, but the Jaguar has something that they lacked - soul. Where the 911 is competent and clinical, the Jag is exciting and truly stirs the soul. My 911s gathered little to no attention, people know what it is, they know it's a great car, and they know it's expensive. Other than that they rarely got a second glance and rarely gathered much interest.

When I drive the Jag, the reaction is very different. People absolutely love it. I can't drive it without someone winding down their window at a stoplight to say something about the car, to ask what it is, to ask me what it's like to drive, to comment on the exhaust note and just generally tell me how much they like it That just never happened when I was in my Porsche. Neither Porsche nor Jaguar are exotic brands, but if one measure of that is the interest the car gathers the F Type has the 911 beat hands down. The attention the car gets is just exponentially greater. It's in a different league in that regard.

To the OP. Drive the Jag. You will love it. I've owned a fair few cars in this price bracket and the Jag is not only my favorite but the one that most feels worth the money.

Last edited by swajames; 06-24-14 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-24-14, 04:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Shame too, since JLR is seeing positive results from their new desirable vehicles
Not without major investment that Ford couldn't put up.
Old 06-24-14, 04:56 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Trek your heart and mind are in a lovely place, family first. That said, put that cradle to grave mentality aside and take everyone's advice. Make yourself a proud owner of a new and unique Jaguar. Please
Old 06-24-14, 05:45 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the Jaguar F-Type R and starting at 100k seems like the affordable option of the high end supercars. Kind of weird to see someone want a Camaro over this but to each their own. I was just looking at the comparison between the F-type and the F-type R and the 200hp difference says a lot but I'm the type of person who needs to justify the 200hp/30k price tag. Justify it such as I need the extra HP because I an going to use the extra HP on the track (because I actually DO participate in track events) or somewhere. If not, I would just get the base F-Type if its just for day to day driving

I will say though the ZL1 is ALOT of car for the lower price tag. To me its just too common since everyone and their mother has a camaro. (SERIOUSLY, MY MOM HAS A NEW CAMARO v6 tho) so it takes the fun out of having a unique car.

I will say though the Camaro will be cheaper in the long term compared to the Jag. Maintence, insurance, maybe not gas since the jag gets better fuel economy but still the ZL1 will be cheaper on your pockets. But I don't think your worried if your spending 100k on a car.

I would go with the Jag F-type (non R) and call it a day. My eyes are on the new Teslas though because they are FAST for electic cars. Actually as fast as both cars you mentioned and never have to hit a gas station ever! lol Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which One Should I Get? Camaro ZL1 or Jaguar F-Type R?