Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which One Should I Get? Camaro ZL1 or Jaguar F-Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-14, 12:38 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

If it had to be either a ZL1 or F-Type R I would pick the Jag, but for my money I would pick a Z51 C7 and if THAT isn't fast enough then a C7 Z06.
Old 06-16-14, 06:07 AM
LexFather

While the 0-60 is similar the cars are as different as they come. Go with your gut and heart since both cars kick ***.

Old 06-16-14, 11:04 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-16-14, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

"It's a Jaaag"
Old 06-16-14, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was looking at the ZL1 for a second when I was shopping for my ISF. Like most, I was attracted to the silly amount of power and the lower price. WHen I researched the forums I found TONS OF QUALITY ISSUES. There was post after post about issues that would drive me insane. I thanked the members for their honesty and went and bought something reliable and fast......Lexus ISF. If it was me I would do the Jag !
Old 06-16-14, 01:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Why the Jag?

Sorry for the delayed response.

Cars of this caliber make absolutely no sense. They shouldn't even be made. They're expensive, minimally functional, more difficult to maintain, and resale values are horrible. It's a hard sell to those that don't want it.

However, to the few that do want it, they'll do whatever it takes to get it. They will pay more, they'll compromise, they'll struggle with it, and they'll most likely keep it forever (or lease it until the next big thing comes along).

From an enthusiasts' standpoint, whether it's a Jag or Camaro or MINI or motorcycle or whatever, you get it because you love it. You can fall in love with the newest and greatest, or you fall in love with that old clunker car that you or your old man grew up with 40 or 50 years ago, or you get something common and modify it like what an artist does to a blank canvas. It's your call.

That being said, you have to love the car you are about to get.

From your descriptions, you want the Jag.

The Jaguar is my dream "mid-life crisis" car. It has cache, panache, and class.
And you describe the Camaro in a nostalgic sense, but not a favorable one at that.

The ZL1 is common, regular Joe stuff but it harkens back to my teen years.
And in both counts, I agree with you. The Jag exudes status and desirability. The Camaro exudes frugality and commonness. If you want power, go for the Camaro. But as you can tell, it isn't just about the power. It's about loving the car you have.
Old 06-16-14, 01:46 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why are people suggesting the C7 and other cars? OP asked for ZL1 or F-type R. If money is no issue at all, I would go Jag of course, among the best interiors I've ever seen. If you want performance, go ZL1. IMO for the money you could get a ZL1 instead of the Jag and save $40K. Not to mention you could use the leftover money for mods and make the ZL1 and absolute monster. People forget that the ZL1 in stock form beat the 911 GT3/Turbo, Murcielago, Z06 and many many other respectable cars on the VIR. Its magnetic suspension is a pretty big reason for those kills.

In other words:
if money is no issue and you want refinement and luxury, go F-Type R.
If you want raw performance, go ZL1.

Last edited by VtotheJ; 06-16-14 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 08:13 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap. Money is an issue. Is the Jag doable? Yes, I can still pay my mortgage, put some dough away for retirement, and pay my car insurance for the Jag and my five other cars. However, it will be a huge stretch, requiring some frugality in other areas. I just don't think the ZL1 or a Vette would give me the emotional wallop and satisfaction I desire.

And there's another factor. I'm not getting any younger. I'm developing a feeling of now or never. Ten years from now, I think I'll be too old to drive either one. A couple of months ago, one of my team members died suddenly. He was in his early 40s and had never been sick. I'm a lot older and I started to think: Why not go for it? You only live once. What am I waiting for? The ideal time? When is the ideal time to go for it? My kids are now out of college, so no more expensive tuition bills. Buying a Jaguar F-Type R is a bit of a selfish thing to do unless you're rich. I feel that way. But what's wrong with being a little "I want to do something for me" when you've done much for your family?

I guess I'm torn. I can do this, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and conservative. The Jag is an extravagance, but I feel entitled to an extravagance. I'm tired of being conservative. It's so boring to make every decision in life based on practicality and/or cost. So boring! I just have to figure out how to deal with the guilt after I do this. I think that's the only thing stopping me. How do I handle the guilt I will surely feel? Will I be trashing a portion of my kids' inheritance by paying an extra 40K for the Jag? It's tearing me up, right now. I'm starting to hate being responsible and conventional!! It's so hard to break out.

Last edited by Trek; 06-23-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-23-14, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Jag.

Old 06-23-14, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have a nearby Jag dealer then maybe consider the Jag. Otherwise, the Camaro would probably be a more sensible purchase. You could get it dealer-serviced practically anywhere, though it might be tough to deal for one. There probably won't be many samples available, and Chevy dealers are likely to want a substantial markup.
Old 06-23-14, 10:26 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

jag, looks sexy, sounds amazing, and turns heads more than the camaro
Old 06-23-14, 11:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
Crap. Money is an issue. Is the Jag doable? Yes, I can still pay my mortgage, put some dough away for retirement, and pay my car insurance for the Jag and my five other cars. However, it will be a huge stretch, requiring some frugality in other areas. I just don't think the ZL1 or a Vette would give me the emotional wallop and satisfaction I desire.

And there's another factor. I'm not getting any younger. I'm developing a feeling of now or never. Ten years from now, I think I'll be too old to drive either one. A couple of months ago, one of my team members died suddenly. He was in his early 40s and had never been sick. I'm a lot older and I started to think: Why not go for it? You only live once. What am I waiting for? The ideal time? When is the ideal time to go for it? My kids are now out of college, so no more expensive tuition bills. Buying a Jaguar F-Type R is a bit of a selfish thing to do unless you're rich. I feel that way. But what's wrong with being a little "I want to do something for me" when you've done much for your family?

I guess I'm torn. I can do this, but I'm a bit old-fashioned and conservative. The Jag is an extravagance, but I feel entitled to an extravagance. I'm tired of being conservative. It's so boring to make every decision in life based on practicality and/or cost. So boring! I just have to figure out how to deal with the guilt after I do this. I think that's the only thing stopping me. How do I handle the guilt I will surely feel? Will I be trashing a portion of my kids' inheritance by paying an extra 40K for the Jag? It's tearing me up, right now. I'm starting to hate being responsible and conventional!! It's so hard to break out.

Do I hear a midlife crisis coming on? If you're that concerned about the guilt then just get rid of 2 out of the 3 extra cars you have. If I were you I'd kiss the Lexus and the Nissan bye and enjoy your new Jaguar.
Old 06-23-14, 12:40 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what you've said, you really want the Jag. Selling some of your existing cars isn't a bad idea... I'd sell the other cars, keep just one for yourself as a DD. Then pony up the cash for the Jag.... that way it won't be so much of a stretch! Btw you seem like an awesome dad and family man... reminds me a lot of my dad. You deserve the Jag! My dad isn't a car guy but I'd definitely be a proponent of him doing things to make him happy, even if it meant spending loads of cash. And you are right, you live only once so go do what makes you happy.... go get that F-Type R!
Old 06-23-14, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

If you can afford the Jag, and its worth the sacrifice to you...get it. You're right...when is the right time? You do only live once...and it all might be over at any time. Thats not to say that we should all run out and blow every penny we have on what we want because we all may get hit by a truck tomorrow...but it means that you have to have some fun with all the responsibility as well.

As for "your kids inheritance"...pffft. You put them through college, you gave them the upbringing, the skills, the education and the opportunities to succeed...now its up to them to succeed. Don't feel guilty for enjoying YOUR success.

BUT...if you get it...don't let yourself feel guilty about it. Enjoy it.
Old 06-23-14, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
If you can afford the Jag, and its worth the sacrifice to you...get it. You're right...when is the right time? You do only live once...and it all might be over at any time. Thats not to say that we should all run out and blow every penny we have on what we want because we all may get hit by a truck tomorrow...but it means that you have to have some fun with all the responsibility as well.

As for "your kids inheritance"...pffft. You put them through college, you gave them the upbringing, the skills, the education and the opportunities to succeed...now its up to them to succeed. Don't feel guilty for enjoying YOUR success.

BUT...if you get it...don't let yourself feel guilty about it. Enjoy it.
Reminds me of a guest I have. Gentleman recently stopped by to show me his brand new Rosso Scuderia 458 and he told me he lives by 'SKI' Spend Kids Inheritance

Quick Reply: Which One Should I Get? Camaro ZL1 or Jaguar F-Type R?