Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports on Buying a New or Used GM Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Consumer Reports on Buying a New or Used GM Vehicle

This article, IMO, is very well written, and is very close to what I myself would say if I were writing it. It examines, in depth, what is both right and wrong with GM......and deals with both old and remaining stereotypes.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...-car/index.htm

With General Motors announcing recall after recall, it is natural that you'd question whether it makes sense to buy a new or used Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, or GMC vehicle. After all, recalls by their definition involve safety—a primary buying factor for shoppers.

With a recall, at least a problem has been identified and a solution made available, free to the customer. Having recalls isn’t an indication of an unreliable automaker. In fact, all automakers have recalls and most models are subject to at least one some time in their service life. (Check for yourself using the Consumer Reports recall search tool.)

The key for an automaker is to recall quickly when a problem has been identified, communicate clearly to customers, and provide essential dealership support for making corrections.

Because GM did not act in this manner regarding ignition switches in some small cars, the automaker has been brought before congress, charged a $35 million civil penalty, sullied its reputation, and even become a recurring late-night talk show punchline. As a consequence, the “new GM” says that it has been redoubling its safety efforts, and consequently, that it is being increasingly proactive in the wake of “ignition-gate." Hence, recall after recall is making news, more for the quantity than the quality. And there is a difference.

For instance, GM was aggressive with its recent recall for the redesigned Cadillac Escalade and Chevrolet Silverado HD. With the Escalade, GM issued a “stop sale” calling on dealers to hold on to inventory until the SUVs could be corrected before most SUVs were delivered to customers. A stop sale is the best reaction to a problem with a new model. In this case, automaker is holding off on revenue to solve the problem.

The bigger issue is when a problem is known and not swiftly addressed, such as with the ignition issues.

Should you buy a used GM car?
Cars from the Old GM were not as good as competition and clearly built to price, as was often reflected in our road tests and even annual reliability surveys. In fact, GM was notorious for squeezing cost out of suppliers, pressuring them to further reduce costs over time. Arguably, some cars, therefore became worse during their model span, rather than improving.

In many cases, we didn’t recommend older GM cars when they were new and still don’t today. The key is to research the desired model, as there are some cars that are more appealing than others, and have the specific car inspected. How a car was cared for can make all the difference in the next owner’s experience. Once you buy a used car, have your local dealer or repair show confirm that all relevant recall work has been conducted.

Should you buy a new GM car?
Yes. There is a clear difference in the quality and performance of the latest models to emerge from post-bankruptcy GM compared to those sold even just five years ago. The latest vehicles generally score well in our testing, with impressive fit and finish, competitive feature sets, and strong performance. The Buick Regal, Cadillac ATS, and Chevrolet Corvette, Impala, and Silverado are among the recent shining examples. But, across the brands, reliability remains inconsistent. As with buying from any automaker, it pays to check the latest road test scores, predicted reliability ratings, owner satisfaction ratings, and owner costs to make a truly informed decision—All of which are readily available on our model pages.

—Jeff Bartlett

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-13-14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-13-14, 10:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

We've heard for years that GM is better, but then the truth arises with the ignition fiasco. Sorry, but can't trust GM.
Old 06-14-14, 12:39 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM is fine, they're not perfect but no car company is. Toyota has had its share of recalls too.

Modern GM cars are promising, there are some bright spots and some questionable efforts, but that's the case with everyone.
Old 06-14-14, 05:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Because of the bailout and more important the 13 years of knowing a line of vehicles were dangerous and nothing was done,GM can kiss my ....
I won't buy anything GM.
Old 06-14-14, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To be honest, there are some new GM vehicles being produced today that I would not buy. Nor, to make it clear, am I trying to use this thread to push GM products. The Cadillac XTS is one GM product that I particularly dislike....for the same reasons as the Lincoln MKS (but not because of ignition-switches). I also find the Buick Encore, to may tastes, unimpressive. And I still question the wisdom of GM marketing a whole line of separate, rebadged, more expensive GMC trucks/SUVs when one can get virtually the same vehicle from Chevy at a lower price. But, by and large, not only from my reviews but my ownership experience as well, CR's article seems to be correct. GM brands are also giving very good dealer service.
Old 06-14-14, 08:11 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We've heard for years that GM is better, but then the truth arises with the ignition fiasco. Sorry, but can't trust GM.
Were any New GM cars affected by the ignition switch recall or were only Old GM (pre-bankruptcy bailout)?

Consumer Reports is saying that the New GM cars are much better than Old GM cars. We all agree that pre-bailout GM cars were horrible but the New GM are not that bad are they?
Old 06-14-14, 08:15 AM
LexFather

Our company C7 was flawless except for an instrument panel that would act up. It was replaced under warranty. I was very happy with the overall quality of the car sans some orange peel.

Old 06-14-14, 09:12 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Before production had started on the consumer version of the new Corvette C7 Stingray I ordered one. I knew (having retired from the car business) that a new model run car could have some teething problems. But I jumped out on faith if something was wrong, they'd make it right. My car came off the line on Oct 7th, and was an early production model. Now with 10,600 miles on the odo, it's one of the finest cars I've ever owned (over 100 lifetime). Any car can shine better than another area in any particular area, but for a 1st year production model with as many features as my C7 has, and to hold up as she has under hard driving performance (she seems to ask if that's the best I've got) I can only applaud GM for their most recent efforts. I'm looking forward to many more happy miles of asphalt and concrete across the U.S. in her .
Old 06-14-14, 09:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Before production had started on the consumer version of the new Corvette C7 Stingray I ordered one. I knew (having retired from the car business) that a new model run car could have some teething problems. But I jumped out on faith if something was wrong, they'd make it right. My car came off the line on Oct 7th, and was an early production model. Now with 10,600 miles on the odo, it's one of the finest cars I've ever owned (over 100 lifetime). Any car can shine better than another area in any particular area, but for a 1st year production model with as many features as my C7 has, and to hold up as she has under hard driving performance (she seems to ask if that's the best I've got) I can only applaud GM for their most recent efforts. I'm looking forward to many more happy miles of asphalt and concrete across the U.S. in her .
Nice Jim. Glad to hear another level headed person speak up. New GM is not Old GM. Problem is skeletons from Old GM wouldn't ever just disappear clean slate when it was restructured (like people thought ). So it's a bit ignorant to overlook new vehicles which while not perfect are worlds better than what they replaced.
Old 06-14-14, 10:23 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM made cars in their lifetime which are right up there on the wall with the world's legends. Some are very controversial like Ed Cole's Corvair, but even that is a car that the world would have been the poorer, if it was not produced. Surely it's not those halcyon days anymore and GM has suffered much of an overdose from its own DNA, which gave their car's a home appliance character. Talking about home appliances, that reminds me, I still have a 1950 Frigidaire here with a proud emblem that it was made by GM and you can switch the old girl on and she will purr like the day she left the factory (holy ground) in Michigan. In 64 years, never a breakdown. Of course she's not as pretty as my wife's Samsung.
I will never kick GM, for me they have quite a lot of second chances to go!
Old 06-14-14, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Our company C7
Interesting. Not many companies can say that they own a 'Vette.

My Verano, so far, has been virtually flawless, although only two years is not really indicative of a true long-term test yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-14 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-14-14, 04:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting. Not many companies can say that they own a 'Vette.
Right but not all companies are in the automotive field
Old 06-14-14, 05:12 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The irony is that the car are far better than what they used to be.

The company itself though is still completely arrogant and dysfunctional. Despite what they claim. That's what further turns me away.
Old 06-14-14, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The irony is that the car are far better than what they used to be.

The company itself though is still completely arrogant and dysfunctional. Despite what they claim. That's what further turns me away.

They weren't arrogant enough to keep Marry Barra out of the CEO position. No other woman in history has had a chance to run an auto company the size of GM. That alone, IMO, even above and beyond the better vehicles today, proves they aren't the old GM any longer, where she probably wouldn't have had a chance.
Old 06-14-14, 10:33 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

After the government bailout, I will not buy a GM or Chrysler product. They used 3 billion taxpayer dollars to develop their new products giving them a huge advantage. Never again.
Steve

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports on Buying a New or Used GM Vehicle