Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you're getting aftermarket warranty offers from this source, toss them out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 01:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default If you're getting aftermarket warranty offers from this source, toss them out.

Are any of you getting zip-sealed documents in the mail, printed black-on-white, from a so-called "Vehicle Administration Center" with a 1-800-335-1522 or similar call-back number? It will have a letter/number code on it, your car, coverage-limit data, and be printed more or less to look like (or resemble) a recall-notice from the manufacturer. If you tossed the last one out (which you should have done) the second one may be labelled "2nd Attempt" (they don't always get the message the first time. It will try to convince you that your car's factory warranty-coverage is running out (even though my own bumper-to-bumper coverage is good for 2 more years,and my powertrain 4 more years) and that you have to call them up for continued coverage....in effect, wasting your money for nothing.

I was going to turn these scammers in myself, though, upon some checking, I see that's already been done to some extent. But it may not have completely stopped the practice.

http://www.complaintslist.com/warran...ration-center/

http://www.bbb.org/acadiana/news-eve...ration-center/

It may look like this or similar, or have a different 1-800 number.

This is a scam, friends.....don't fall for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-14 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 01:35 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

There's also one from EWS that I've been getting several times in the last few months. I called and cussed out the guy who answered the phone.

I'm guessing our dealers are selling our information?
Old 06-10-14, 01:57 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gotten a few of these. I had no idea they were scams. I've been throwing them all away without reading them.
Old 06-10-14, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
There's also one from EWS that I've been getting several times in the last few months.
Thanks for letting us know.

I called and cussed out the guy who answered the phone.
While I can indeed understand your frustration and anger (I felt some of it self) I wouldn't make a habit of that. If they have caller ID, they might be able to trace your call....and take retribution if possible. And, even if we are in fact dealing with crooks (which we probably are), it's still illegal to use a phone to make curses or threats....that's considered harassment.

I'm guessing our dealers are selling our information?
I doubt it. Lots of people (myself included) get this crap in the mail long before the factory warranty runs out. During the factory warranty period, dealers get any warranty repairs they make reimbursed to them from the factory, not these clowns. They usually have no incentive for third-parties to get involved.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-10-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-11-14, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I've gotten a few of these. I had no idea they were scams. I've been throwing them all away without reading them.

Good. I'd shred them if you have a machine for that.
Old 06-11-14, 05:53 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do they get our info ? I got them too on my wife 13 RX...wth...and I have moved in my house for only 9 months....someone is selling our info. The dealer, or the BMV
Old 06-11-14, 06:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

These guys called me yesterday. I was eating lunch so I thought I'd play with them a while and waste their time.

When the original call operator finally qualified my LS as having "more than 110,000 miles" he sent me up to his manager for the hard sell.

The manager tried to convince me that their center was responsible for all the Lexus aftermarket warranties serviced by Lexus Corp. I asked him a lot of questions and he told me a lot of lies.

When I was done with lunch I started to call him out on the lies he got defensive and asked then why did you speak with me? Told him you called me, I didn't ask for this solicitation. They'd called me the previous week and told them I wasn't interested then either, why didn't you listen. Better remove me or I'll take up even more of your time next time Hung up on me
Old 06-11-14, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whitigir
How do they get our info ? I got them too on my wife 13 RX...wth...and I have moved in my house for only 9 months....someone is selling our info. The dealer, or the BMV
Given the seedy nature of their business, these people are probably hacking into (or somehow illegally gaining access) to things like DMV and auto-manufacturer records. I doubt that dealers are willingly giving (or selling) them data.
Old 06-11-14, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
These guys called me yesterday. I was eating lunch so I thought I'd play with them a while and waste their time.

When the original call operator finally qualified my LS as having "more than 110,000 miles" he sent me up to his manager for the hard sell.

The manager tried to convince me that their center was responsible for all the Lexus aftermarket warranties serviced by Lexus Corp. I asked him a lot of questions and he told me a lot of lies.

When I was done with lunch I started to call him out on the lies he got defensive and asked then why did you speak with me? Told him you called me, I didn't ask for this solicitation. They'd called me the previous week and told them I wasn't interested then either, why didn't you listen. Better remove me or I'll take up even more of your time next time Hung up on me
Great story. Did you tell him you manage the largest Lexus forum on the Internet, including one of the largest car-chat forums? I would have liked to have seen the look on his face when he heard that.
Old 06-12-14, 01:12 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been getting those too!!
Old 06-12-14, 02:19 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

DMV sells them the lists, not the dealerships
Old 06-13-14, 06:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusNN
DMV sells them the lists, not the dealerships
....and that's legal? DMV files are supposed to be for law enforcement and/or property taxes, not insurance-scammers.
Old 06-13-14, 01:58 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

This is a scam, friends.....don't fall for it.
Did you read the warning about a $2000 fine and five years imprisonment, or BOTH? And you threw it out?! You are in serious trouble my friend!
Old 06-13-14, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Did you read the warning about a $2000 fine and five years imprisonment, or BOTH? And you threw it out?! You are in serious trouble my friend!
That's actually part of the scam. They try and make it look like an important official document sent from the government or auto manufacturer, such as for a safety-recall.....something that there really WOULD be a fine or penalty for interfering with.
Old 06-15-14, 02:54 AM
Goffinluvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything about the presentation of these useless mailing screams "SCAM!"
I've gotten them for vehicles long since sold - just toss 'em into the shredder and recycle!