Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The onion gets us

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-14, 08:55 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The onion gets us

http://www.theonion.com/articles/va-...view:1:Default
Old 06-10-14, 09:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

mmm Outback Steakhouse
Old 06-10-14, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The PT Cruiser, except for the convertible, was, mechanically, simply a rebodied Dodge Neon with a retro, late-30s look inside and out....which, of course, didn't do much for its build quality (spotty at best). But it was an interesting concept, and, when first-debuted, brought long lines and sharp dealer mark-ups for those waiting to order. Shortly after they were introduced, I saw one person in a parking lot, who had just paid 5K over list (with a second price-sticker) for one. He hadn't even peeled the two price-stickers off. When I asked him if he had second-thoughts about that kind of price-gouging to be the first on the block to own one, he answered "Meh.....it's only money. I wanted one, I signed the paper, I got one" .
Old 06-10-14, 01:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I saw one on the freeway that was plastered with NRA stickers. And odd sight no doubt.

I've never understood the appeal for quirky or cute vehicles. It's a car, not a damn outfit.
Old 06-10-14, 02:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I saw one on the freeway that was plastered with NRA stickers. And odd sight no doubt.
.............you mean in between all of the F-150s with NRA stickers?

I've never understood the appeal for quirky or cute vehicles. It's a car, not a damn outfit.
For some people, a car is a statement about their lifestyle or personality.
Old 06-10-14, 02:24 PM
that2JZguy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PT Cruiser is an engineering abomination. Shame on the designers and their families.
Old 06-10-14, 03:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

One of the main reasons Chrysler made the PT Cruiser was to skirt CAFE regulations. At that time, the way the rules were written, the PT Cruiser qualified as a "light truck". Same category as your V8 Dodge Ram or Durango. Apparently, the way the rules were written, with the seats out, a completely flat load floor qualified it as a "light truck"
Old 06-10-14, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
One of the main reasons Chrysler made the PT Cruiser was to skirt CAFE regulations. At that time, the way the rules were written, the PT Cruiser qualified as a "light truck". Same category as your V8 Dodge Ram or Durango. Apparently, the way the rules were written, with the seats out, a completely flat load floor qualified it as a "light truck"
Thanks. You are correct. I had forgotten about that. A number of car-based vehicles, back then, including some Subarus, DID qualify as light trucks. But, in fact, they weren't any more "trucks" than the compact-car FWD or AWD platforms they were based on. The PT Cruiser, for example, was essentially a rebodied Dodge Neon.....the competing Chevy HHR, a rebodied Cobalt.
Old 06-11-14, 04:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Though it was rare, you could actually use it as one. A friend of mine once rented one for a cross-country dirtbiking trip. With the rear seats out and the front passenger seat all the way forward, he fit his 450cc dirtbike, along with all the gear he needed for a week of offroading, inside the cabin.

But I agree, the PT Cruiser is a crime against the automobile.
Old 06-11-14, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Never liked the PT Cruiser. Had it been me approving at the desk, it would have never seen the light of day. For what it's worth Chrysler took a chance with it and it initially was a hit. The car itself was bad and never really improved so it fizzled and became defunct