Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Lincoln MKC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 09:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven the MKC. The launch events for the press and industry just happened, and they usually don't hit dealers for a few weeks after that. Lincoln hasn't turned on most advertising/marketing for the MKC yet either. This is specifically because they don't want too much buzz before the cars get to dealers, which they had a problem with the MKZ. Dealerships often "order" their vehicles 3-4 months before they show up, so having them on order for weeks doesn't really mean a thing. I don't think it's right to say that there's a "delay" at this point.
Old 06-24-14, 10:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I've driven the MKC. The launch events for the press and industry just happened, and they usually don't hit dealers for a few weeks after that. Lincoln hasn't turned on most advertising/marketing for the MKC yet either. This is specifically because they don't want too much buzz before the cars get to dealers, which they had a problem with the MKZ. Dealerships often "order" their vehicles 3-4 months before they show up, so having them on order for weeks doesn't really mean a thing. I don't think it's right to say that there's a "delay" at this point.
Thanks. I was using the term "delay" only as it related to the original (projected) intro date of April 30. But, yes, any number of things can, and sometimes do, come up to postpone the date. We saw that with both the current-generation Taurus and Lacrosse, when quality glitches for both cars on the assembly line delayed their introduction. They found that when you opened the drivers' door on the LaCrosse, it shut off most of the car's other lights.....so they had to adjust the wiring system.

What did you think of the MKC's road manners?.....or was it a press event where you are under lock and key and can't talk about it?
Old 06-24-14, 10:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The MKC is definitely more than just an Escape-plus. Ford worked hard to make significant changes to the Escape platform for the MKC. Car is pretty quiet overall, with taut and responsive handling, but nothing harsh. It felt more stable than Q5. Brake pedal and feel was also firm and quick, very similar to the BMW X3. We only had this one for a day, so I didn't want to do a write up on it. We'll eventually get one for a longer term evaluation.

Power from the 2.0 and 2.3 units were both good, but one let down is a 6 speed automatic when everyone else seems to be using 8 speeds for better acceleration and better highway economy.

I'm torn on the interior. Yes they put some buttons back on on the dash and removed the capacitive sliders, but those buttons felt a little cheap and like a rushed afterthought in execution. Like a bunch of little identical chiclets that might be hard to discern when on the go. Guess most will still prefer them over the sliders, but I think they could have done better.

A lot of trim and pieces still don't feel well differentiated from high end Ford models.

Like most of the new generation domestic vehicles, it'll be better than most people's expectations, but the biggest challenge is getting people to give it at minimum a test drive/consideration.
Old 06-25-14, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, pbm317. Appreciate the comments. I had a feeling that it would be a lot more than just an Escape in a Tux.

BTW, if it felt more stable than a Q5, that's saying something IMO. Audi, especially today, has good chassis engineers.
Old 07-19-14, 07:20 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm highly interested in the NX but since I can't see one until probably December I stopped at a local Lincoln dealer to see if they had an MKC. My impression of the dealership wasn't too good. It was of course an old Mercury/Lincoln dealership and it looked like a ghost town. There was nobody else there(a Friday afternoon).
They had one, a Black with brown leather interior that I test drove. Being used to my RX my first impression was how small this vehicle seemed. The first big negative for me was the size of the cargo area. It is very small and narrow. You cannot put a golf bag in horizontally a big issue for me. The NX claims you can!
The next issue would be that being a large person I have to have the driver's seat back. I put he seat all the way back and there is no leg room behind me for a passenger in the back. The interior is nice but I don't get that luxury feel of a Lexus. The leather is soft and supple. The electronics are impressive making my '13 RX seem primitive. This model had memory seats, a feature I must have. I'm reading the NX may not have them.
The car had a very responsive engine but the ride seemed harsh with the 19" tires.
The MSRP on the sticker was 44K, but I couldn't read the rest because it was posted behind some dark window tint. So I don't know what exact options it had. It did have the under the bumper foot opener for the rear cargo hatch. This is neat but not enough to win me over.
The MKC is off my list, sure hope the NX is more impressive.
Old 07-19-14, 07:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm highly interested in the NX but since I can't see one until probably December I stopped at a local Lincoln dealer to see if they had an MKC. My impression of the dealership wasn't too good. It was of course an old Mercury/Lincoln dealership and it looked like a ghost town. There was nobody else there(a Friday afternoon).
They had one, a Black with brown leather interior that I test drove. Being used to my RX my first impression was how small this vehicle seemed. The first big negative for me was the size of the cargo area. It is very small and narrow. You cannot put a golf bag in horizontally a big issue for me. The NX claims you can!
The next issue would be that being a large person I have to have the driver's seat back. I put he seat all the way back and there is no leg room behind me for a passenger in the back. The interior is nice but I don't get that luxury feel of a Lexus. The leather is soft and supple. The electronics are impressive making my '13 RX seem primitive. This model had memory seats, a feature I must have. I'm reading the NX may not have them.
The car had a very responsive engine but the ride seemed harsh with the 19" tires.
The MSRP on the sticker was 44K, but I couldn't read the rest because it was posted behind some dark window tint. So I don't know what exact options it had. It did have the under the bumper foot opener for the rear cargo hatch. This is neat but not enough to win me over.
Thanks for the comments, rogerh00. I was quite impressed with the way the MKC looked at the D.C. Auto Show last January, (up on the turntable, especially with that gorgeous dark-purple Tahitian Pearl paint job...a production color), but I admittedly did not get a chance to sit in it or drive it. You diid not seem impressed with the interior. It is next on my review-list, BTW, as soon as we start getting some here in the D.C. area.

BTW....even some larger vehicles than the MKC don't have much legroom in the rear seat when the front seat is all the way back. That is not unusual.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-14 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-19-14, 07:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
It's good that you discovered the MKC is probably too small for you. I've read on other forums where people bought one of these Compact CUV's only to discover they are smaller than they prefer. The NX might have a little more cargo area, but overall it won't offer the interior space of the RX or other mid-size CUV's..
Old 07-20-14, 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i'd guess the nx will be smaller inside than a rav4 due to the extra 'trimmings' and insulation and body sculpting.
Old 07-21-14, 06:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I went to see the MKC at a nearby Ford-Lincoln dealer, though since it was Sunday, it was only from the outside. I have yet to test drive it.

First impressions were positive:

EXTERIOR: Black had a somewhat commanding road presence, especially from the rear where the full-length rear lights and clamshell hatch accentuate the width and well planted stance. Front-end is somewhat bland and VW Tiguan-looking to my eyes (which I'm not a fan of). The mid-level 18" satin nickel finish wheels looked upscale and filled the wheel wells nicely. This made me question the need to upgrade to the more costly packages to get the larger (usually nicer) wheels but in this case, these wheels looked great. Overall design is heavily influenced by the Audi Q5, no question in my mind. Beside the MKX, it is visually smaller, about a 7/8ths version, similar to what the NX is to the RX.

INTERIOR: I have not sat in it and for reference, I own a 3RX, so this is purely from looking inside through the window. The cargo floor appeared fairly high and not very wide and long, though as expected for a compact. Rear seat looked fairly low to the floor which makes me question thigh support, and legroom a little tighter than I expected. Front space looked acceptable, but what stood out was the dash. The shape and general slope of the center stack reminded me of the HS250h, nice but a little awkward and takes some getting used to. When I compared it to the MKX right beside, I immediately noticed how many more tacky/glitzy plasticky chrome bits the MKX's dash had which made the MKC's looks much better from a visual quality standpoint. Also, the plastics on the dash and along the sides of the console looked all very soft-touch and had some nice stitching, again FAR better than the MKX's, though not quite up to Lexus standards. And what I mean by that is the overall look of the materials (including the leather seats) still lacked that polish in materials and fit/finish from a Lexus. For instance, the dash material has a slight sheen to it reminding me a rubbery material more so than a high end faux-matte-leather material. The sheen and rubbery look worsens along the console and lower portions of it. Another gripe is the fit was not perfect. The silver trim along the center stack created a small (but noticeable) gap where it sat against the molded dash. Other (minor) gripe, the glitzy chrome radio ***** and HVAC buttons looked cheap and plasticky. Back to a solid positive, the real wood trim fit/finish was very good, though the type of wood and color was not to my taste.

Overall, by far, from a design and visual quality standpoint, this is the best Lincoln product I have ever seen and in fact, dare I say, has appeal! And this is coming from a Japanese-import fan and buyer I have been all my life. I plan to check out the MKC in more detail, and although my money (literally) is still on the NX, I am open to consider this vehicle - though a lot will be required to persuade me away from Lexus. I have yet to get over some of the fit/finish issues, the front-end styling, uncertain reliability (1.6L + 3.5L Ecoboost issues...), and that darn badge.

Mike (mmarshall), definitely looking forward to your full review on this one.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Lincoln MKC-mkc1.jpg   2015 Lincoln MKC-mkc2.jpg   2015 Lincoln MKC-mkc3.jpg   2015 Lincoln MKC-mkc4.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-21-14 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-21-14, 06:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

EXTERIOR: Overall design is heavily influenced by the Audi Q5, no question in my mind.
It's funny that you say this...I saw my first MKC on the road about two weeks ago and actually did a double take because I thought it was a Q5 at first. I didn't see the Q5 similarities in pictures, but in person, the body sculpting and detailing, and overall shape, are very similar to the Q5.

Thanks for your write-up
Old 07-21-14, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
;8634304]I went to see the MKC at a nearby Ford-Lincoln dealer, though since it was Sunday, it was only from the outside. I have yet to test drive it.
Thanks for your comments and write-up, corrado. FYI, what you wrote is what's called a static review. (I've done a number of them myself). That's a physical review/description of the vehicle while it is not moving, and, for any reason, is not or can not actually be test-driven. In your case, it was mostly an exterior static review.

Your initial impressions of cheap-looking ***** and tight rear-seat room, BTW, have also been mentioned in some press-reviews of the MKC. This is, after all, a compact SUV/CUV, and generally not designed to carry large families. You are correct about the front grille not being quite as garish as those on other Lincoln products, but I wouldn't call it bland.

Did you also notice, inside, that it has the push-buttons for the automatic transmission on the dash like the MKZ sedan? Chrysler products used them (in a more electro/mechanical form) back in the early 1960s, and the ill-fated Edsel had them on the steering wheel in the late 50s.

Overall, by far, from a design and visual quality standpoint, this is the best Lincoln product I have ever seen and in fact, dare I say, has appeal.
I'd have to agree, just from the limited view I've gotten from it, too, at the D.C. show. It certainly is their best effort since the Town Car was dropped, which led to a string of rather unimpressive products.

BTW, Is that your daughter standing in one of those images? Her face seems to be blanked out.

Mike (mmarshall), definitely looking forward to your full review on this one.
Thanks. I've been waiting for a chance, myself, to check this vehicle out I'm Going to try and finish it this week. I've got the long general overview written up, but I'm just waiting for an unsold one to be delivered and available for a test-drive. They are just starting to come into local D.C.-area Lincoln shops now as I speak, but most are already pre-sold.
Old 07-21-14, 06:46 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

One feature I forgot to mention was that Lincoln has opted to use push buttons for transmission selection. I found this awkward to use having to locate the proper button. I suppose one could get used to it over time. I prefer to have the old manual stick. This is the first I've seen push buttons used since the 60's in a Plymouth. I'm sure there are others out there now.

I no sooner posted this then to see mmarshall already commented on it, oh well.

Last edited by rogerh00; 07-21-14 at 07:10 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-21-14, 07:18 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

MPLexus301: Indeed very Q5 like which is a good thing.

Mike: Front-end styling is bland to me in the sense that it is a round smooth semi-circle. No lines, creases, and angles, besides the horizontal lines in the grille/bumper and the one connecting the headlights. For reference, the I love the NX F-Sport's chiseled and bold front end to give a sense of my tastes.

- Updated my daughter's face to show how she really feels about seeing new cars. She's an unusually huge car buff but has an infallible loyalty towards Lexus and any chances of me considering an MKC will have to go through her.

roger00: Thanks for the push-button tranny reminder. It reminded me how I dislike that too only because of what it is lacking. Namely a shifter which I appreciate using almost every time I drive putting it in M or S mode with both my RX and IS F-Sports. I also heavily use the paddle shifters in both cars which increases my driving pleasure. This also made me reralize how the MKC lacks paddle shifters (in the one I saw) though I believe it is available in top-trim (or 2.3L) models. Not sure will have to check. Also dislike the tranny dial **** like in the 200C for the same reasons.
Old 07-21-14, 09:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

These live pics makes we want to go and check out the MKC in person. Other than possible reliability issues I like this CUV. I haven't warmed up to the exterior styling of the NX. Just too much going on for my tastes. The NX interior does look nice though.

I'm sure the two will appeal to a different buyer and both will do well in the market.
Old 07-21-14, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice mini review corradoMR2. MKC exterior is handsome with minimalist interior design, is refreshing. That said I'm sure the car has some frills, but then this is one of the best products from Lincoln in awhile. Maybe a leaf is about to be turned.

Quick Reply: 2015 Lincoln MKC