Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar F-Type: Wow, just WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 11:27 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I think he's talking about that grab handle blocking the passenger's view of the center stack. I agree it looks like a bad idea.
correct. Putting a giant grab handle there does nothing in terms of function and IMO, design
Old 06-08-14, 12:45 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the pic of the interior to see if it still oozes British class, but I suppose all things change. Maybe Ratan likes the more Bollywood look.
Old 06-08-14, 05:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Coming back from a haircut.

Did you leave any clipped hair in the car?
Old 06-08-14, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience. I did a full-review on the F's predecessor, a XK Supercharged Convertible, a few years ago, for the Annual Special Holiday Review I do each December. I can just imagine how much you liked the F.....driving that XK Supercharged (which listed for more than 100K) was like dating a supermodel, even with an empty seat next to you.
Old 06-08-14, 06:35 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it's aiite. don't love the design.
Old 06-08-14, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

sweet car - wasn't a fan of the looks when i first saw it, but definitely has grown on me.

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Historically, Jags have always had electrical and wiring issues. I wonder if that continues today?
apparently not.

Originally Posted by RXSF
correct. Putting a giant grab handle there does nothing in terms of function and IMO, design
unless you're a passenger holding on for your life.
Old 06-08-14, 08:18 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Historically, Jags have always had electrical and wiring issues. I wonder if that continues today?
That's an old stereotype that doesn't really apply to the "new" Jaguar. I've had no issues with my XJL and I like the brand enough that I'm buying another - I have an F-type R on order that should be here in July
Old 06-08-14, 08:36 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toyemp
That's an old stereotype that doesn't really apply to the "new" Jaguar. I've had no issues with my XJL and I like the brand enough that I'm buying another - I have an F-type R on order that should be here in July
And what line of work are you in?
Old 06-08-14, 09:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs down

I think he's talking about that grab handle blocking the passenger's view of the center stack. I agree it looks like a bad idea.
Oh I see. I haven't ever had a passenger complain about it, to be honest. Perhaps I'll specifically ask next time.
Old 06-08-14, 10:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
From a passenger vantage point it doesn't block visibility of controls at all.

In terms of design it's likely supposed to evoke a cockpit type feel and help delineate driver from passenger. It has been used by many sports cars over the years.

Even current Corvette uses it:
Old 06-08-14, 11:21 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car, but at 92K, I can get a Z06 Z07 for less and run around F Type S or even R all day everyday... until F type breaks down.
Old 06-09-14, 07:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Beautiful car, but at 92K, I can get a Z06 Z07 for less and run around F Type S or even R all day everyday... until F type breaks down.
why is the money comparison to corvette always done on some brands but not others?

a vette costs a ton less than a 911 too, but they're pretty different vehicles in the end, and most porsche buyers aren't interested in a vette and vice versa.
Old 06-09-14, 07:50 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why is the money comparison to corvette always done on some brands but not others? a vette costs a ton less than a 911 too, but they're pretty different vehicles in the end, and most porsche buyers aren't interested in a vette and vice versa.
Exactly. High performance cars are not only sought after for their 0-60 times, but also the panache that accompanies the speed. Often enough, the LFA is criticized for it's price when compared to a GTR when they are similar in performance. If money is not an issue, there's no comparison.
Old 06-09-14, 08:22 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 467 Likes on 294 Posts

I got my own F Type after two 997s (one 911 S coupe and one 911 S convertible) and find the Jaguar to be just an incredibly good car - much better than the two 911s. To address some of the other posts, at this end of the market you actually vote with your wallet, not saying what you "would" buy. For the cost of my own car, I could indeed have gotten other great cars such Z06, a GTR, the 991 or indeed any number of other fantastic cars - but I preferred the Jag. For me, it was the best looking, best sounding and most satisfying car I looked at. The stock exhaust on the V8S is just astonishingly good - it truly defines the car. For the modern cars, "Jaguar reliability" is no longer an oxymoron - they build a pretty decent car today. As for the handle grab, I can confirm that it doesn't restrict the passenger view. All controls are accessible and visible. Contrary to some of the other posts here, as someone who has actually written the check, I can safely say that of all the cars around this price that I've owned, the Jag is actually the one that most feels worth the money. It's a genuinely great car, and I absolutely love it.
Attached Thumbnails Jaguar F-Type: Wow, just WOW!-dsc_1547-3.jpg  

Last edited by swajames; 06-09-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 09:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It's waaay too expensive. Should be $70k decently loaded.
Originally Posted by cino
Beautiful car, but at 92K, I can get a Z06 Z07 for less and run around F Type S or even R all day everyday.
These are my thought as well. When the F-Type originally came out, based on initial pics and impressions, I thought Jaguar built a Boxster fighter. I looked at pricing and quickly realized I was wrong!!

There are a lot of great options in the realm of $80-100k, and to me, the F-Type just doesn't really stand out as one I'd buy. The Corvette is a different type of car, but it appeals to me much more. The new model looks incredibly exotic and aggressive, and has breathtaking performance to match.

Maybe the 'Vette doesn't have the sex appeal of a traditional Jaguar, but then again, I actually find the F-Type rather mundane looking. It's got tidy dimensions, nice lines and good proportions, but it doesn't really "ooze" beauty, sex appeal, aggression or sporting intentions - it looks OK to me...something like a wealthy man's Miata, moreso than a serious performance car or uber luxury coupe. Now, the late '90s XK was a traditionally beautiful Jaguar coupe to me... I rather dislike the current model.

That is just my perception, and in full disclosure, I don't have $92k to spend .

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-09-14 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar F-Type: Wow, just WOW!