Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-14, 12:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Hey everyone, my husband and I need some advice.

We need a very efficient highway car that can take us from Rochester to Cleveland or out towards Toronto for out business. We previously owned a Lexus CT but to be honest I never really liked it. We have a 4 door 4WD Toyota already that we will use when the weather gets nasty.

We both really like the new Corolla both outside and especially in.

We test drove an LE, is got lots of pep and is nice for our needs.

What is everyone thoughts on it?
Old 06-05-14, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You usually don't think much of my auto-reviews, but, since you specifically asked for opinions, I'll give you mine...both good and bad.

It's a nice well-rounded compact with a good reputation, although in some ways I liked the old version better. It had some wood-tone trim options inside....something I don't see on the new one. The new one has a dash that is more consistant with other new Toyotas. It shows a slight thinning/lightening of sheet metal and interior materials over the old version, but not as starkly or dramatic as that of its big brother Avalon.

It is likely to maintain its long-standing better-than-average reliability record and good resale value. I'm not impressed with the standard/option lists on the new one, though. The old one had a smooth/quiet but clearly antiquated 4-speed automatic. The new one STILL has the 4-speed auto on the base version, and CVTs on the upmarket ones......I would have preferred a conventional 6-speed automatic standard across the board, in all versions. I also think the paint-color choice (by specific model) is ridiculous...white/silver/gray/black on the base model, four other colors on some other versions, and it's difficult to escape an all-black interior on most versions...though some offer a better choice. I like the 15" wheels and fairly tall 65-series tires on the base model, though....they won't give you sports-car handling, but should offer a smooth ride by today's compact-sedan standards (which is important if you are going to be doing a lot of cruising).

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-05-14, 02:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hey everyone, my husband and I need some advice.

We need a very efficient highway car that can take us from Rochester to Cleveland or out towards Toronto for out business. We previously owned a Lexus CT but to be honest I never really liked it. We have a 4 door 4WD Toyota already that we will use when the weather gets nasty.

We both really like the new Corolla both outside and especially in.

We test drove an LE, is got lots of pep and is nice for our needs.

What is everyone thoughts on it?
sounds like a nice car for you... new one is really good.
Old 06-05-14, 03:14 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard nothing bad about it; would certainly pick it over the new civic.
Old 06-05-14, 03:15 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had some extensive seat time in the new Corolla in various trim levels and find it to be a pretty comfortable cruiser. Of course being the compact car, there it's not as quiet as say a Camry or obviously Avalon, but I've never found it anywhere near close to tiring or exhausting to drive. The LE Eco is nice giving you a slight bump in both power and MPG.
Old 06-05-14, 03:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Corolla is solid and reliable, but I am not a fan of the interior, I think the radio is poor with a miniscule 6.1" screen. Nothing super upsetting about the car, but nothing to make you love it either.

I personally would be more inclined to get a Kia Forte or Mazda 3.
Old 06-05-14, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

I personally would be more inclined to get a Kia Forte or Mazda 3.

Well, no arguments with the Mazda3 if twisting roads were one's forte (no pun intended). But the 3 probably wouldn't be as nice of a cruiser as the Corolla.....especially with the soft-riding tires on the base Corolla L. One usually does not need a responsive chassis for Interstate cruising.
Old 06-06-14, 12:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, no arguments with the Mazda3 if twisting roads were one's forte (no pun intended). But the 3 probably wouldn't be as nice of a cruiser as the Corolla.....especially with the soft-riding tires on the base Corolla L. One usually does not need a responsive chassis for Interstate cruising.
I read your other response, and yes we don't agree sometimes. But that is OK. Its the beauty of the your opinion and mine.

A Mazda 3 is not on the option table. I only want a Toyota. I want a highway car with very good MPG that will take me from A to B. I test drove the car and I absolutely love the interior, not sure why.

I understand that the chassis and engine are carry overs but that is OK and it is tried and true I guess. The new CTV might make me worry.
I don't have a problem with drum rears either.

So, the best deal I have gotten is $530 over invoice , what are your thoughts on this?

Last thing, I have to choose the model I want and I must decide whether (moon roof, alloy wheels, fog lamps, and leather wrapped wheel) is worth $1200.
Old 06-06-14, 12:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
I've had some extensive seat time in the new Corolla in various trim levels and find it to be a pretty comfortable cruiser. Of course being the compact car, there it's not as quiet as say a Camry or obviously Avalon, but I've never found it anywhere near close to tiring or exhausting to drive. The LE Eco is nice giving you a slight bump in both power and MPG.
Not sure if I want the ECO, Valvematic might be unproven and there is maintenance thing needed for it at 90k.
Old 06-06-14, 03:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^I owned a CT and I personally loved it, but loved the new IS more!

I've been in the new Corolla and as most have said, it's a comfortable daily driver and highway ride. I found it slightly noisier than the CT on the highway if that is important to you. If you love Toyota, you know how bullet-proof reliable the powertrains are. Besides some 12V battery issues across several Toyota/Lexus models of late, mechanically these cars are tanks and I have absolutely no worries with the new LE Eco engine/CVT from a dependability standpoint for the next 10-12 years. This is from someone who has owned (or raised in a family) with numerous Toyota and Lexus vehicles over the last 20 years.

With that said, because of the newest tech, smoothness and pep of the new powertrain, plus the added MPGs, I would get the LE Eco for just $800 more, but I also liked the CVT in my CT which has been a sore spot for some CT owners. The 4-speed in the Corolla (non-Eco) will rev higher than the CVT on the highway contributing to increased noise and fuel consumption.

One final comment, I assume the Camry is out, but have you seen the redesigned 2015? It's a looker! If highway noise, ride and comfort are a top priority, this is the car to get.

Good luck.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-06-14 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I read your other response, and yes we don't agree sometimes. But that is OK. Its the beauty of the your opinion and mine.

A Mazda 3 is not on the option table. I only want a Toyota. I want a highway car with very good MPG that will take me from A to B. I test drove the car and I absolutely love the interior, not sure why.

I understand that the chassis and engine are carry overs but that is OK and it is tried and true I guess. The new CTV might make me worry.
I don't have a problem with drum rears either.

So, the best deal I have gotten is $530 over invoice , what are your thoughts on this?

Last thing, I have to choose the model I want and I must decide whether (moon roof, alloy wheels, fog lamps, and leather wrapped wheel) is worth $1200.
If you only want a Toyota, and you don't want ECO, what is left to discuss? Might as well close up this thread.

Personally, if you are planning on doing that many highway miles, I'd look seriously at a Jetta TDI.
Old 06-06-14, 05:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure if I want the ECO, Valvematic might be unproven and there is maintenance thing needed for it at 90k.
Valvematic engines have been on sale for 10 years now.... 7 years in europe, never heard single issue with it.
Old 06-06-14, 05:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
One final comment, I assume the Camry is out, but have you seen the redesigned 2015? It's a looker! If highway noise, ride and comfort are a top priority, this is the car to get.
yep, I was going to recommend a camry as well --- leftover 2014 or 14.5 (as they are advertising locally)
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on  a new 14 Corolla-capture.png  
Old 06-06-14, 05:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ HOLY! $16K for a '14 Camry with 1500 miles!!! WOW. What a deal!
Old 06-06-14, 05:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ HOLY! $16K for a '14 Camry with 1500 miles!!! WOW. What a deal!
New!
1500 miles away from the zip code.
A no brainer over a Corolla.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla