Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ HOLY! $16K for a '14 Camry with 1500 miles!!! WOW. What a deal!
Inspect this car CAREFULLY. There may be a reason for its low price. Cars with flood/weather damage or other problems are sometimes dumped off on unsuspecting people. Also, if possible, try and get a CarFax report on it.
Old 06-06-14, 06:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Inspect this car CAREFULLY. There may be a reason for its low price. Cars with flood/weather damage or other problems are sometimes dumped off on unsuspecting people. Also, if possible, try and get a CarFax report on it.
Mike, these are new cars from a Toyota dealer!

and I only posted to show the OP what kind of other options/prices are out there.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-06-14 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 07:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

There was a recent comparison review, forgot which media, stating that the new Corolla structure [paraphrasing] feels like a "wet noodle" relative to other vehicles in its class, especially the Civic and Jetta. It also failed the small overlap test I believe.
Old 06-06-14, 08:41 AM
LexFather

Standard LEDs on the Corolla though... and the interior is very well done.

Old 06-06-14, 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
It also failed the small overlap test I believe.
It got a "Marginal" rating on the small overlap, but still received a "Top Safety Pick" status. Still an area that Toyota needs to work on.
Old 06-06-14, 09:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

There was a recent comparison review, forgot which media, stating that the new Corolla structure [paraphrasing] feels like a "wet noodle" relative to other vehicles in its class, especially the Civic and Jetta. It also failed the small overlap test I believe.
it was C&D and thats bull... not structure but interior quality was discussed... personally, it felt built like a tank.

it also did not fail small overlap.
Old 06-06-14, 10:12 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So, the best deal I have gotten is $530 over invoice , what are your thoughts on this?
This thread seems a bit of a moot point since you're already decided on the car.

Check the usual sources, TrueCar, Edmunds, etc to figure out what potential prices in your area are, current incentives, any purchasing programs you're part of (American Express, Costco, USAA, etc)
Old 06-06-14, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Mike, these are new cars from a Toyota dealer!
I understand, but that doesn't stop some dealerships. I've seen both brand-new and CPO's misrepresented as being without damage when in fact (after my inspection) I found evidence of a previous accident and incomplete repairs.

Friend, I made that post for a reason.
Old 06-06-14, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So, the best deal I have gotten is $530 over invoice , what are your thoughts on this?
What dealerships claim is "Invoice" is not always true invoice. There are many factors that affect the true dealer-cost of a vehicle...particularly if holdback-fees are involved. For a car in the Corolla's low-cost/compact-sedan range, a general rule of thumb for dealer cost (though it can vary some) is about an 8% markup from wholesale to retail on the car's base price and maybe 10-12% on options....minus the destination charge. That's apart from factory-rebates. And the dealership, of course, is entitled to at least a couple of percentage points over their cost for their own profit and operating expenses....otherwise, the can't stay in business.
Old 06-06-14, 10:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it was C&D and thats bull... not structure but interior quality was discussed... personally, it felt built like a tank.

it also did not fail small overlap.
Here's an excerpt from it:

"Starting a sentence with “My old Toyota . . . ” used to have cachet, earned as it was by how often the next words were “ . . . has 300,000 miles on it.” This Corolla, though, lacks the sturdy feel of the cars that built the company’s reputation. It doesn’t feel like an old Toyota; it just feels old. Bumps and hard corners betray its flimsy structure. The doors have a hollow slam. With little of the sculpting that provides the support to keep passengers in place, its spacious rear seat tied for last in our comfort ratings. And there’s a gauziness to the major controls, reinforcing the impression that the car lacks a certain hardiness.

In addition to feeling old and flimsy, the Corolla feels tired, a reliable backmarker in performance testing.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...old-kia-page-2

Also, how can something that's only marginal be considered good, especially for a new generation? It's one step above poor.

Last edited by situman; 06-06-14 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-06-14, 11:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Starting a sentence with “My old Toyota . . . ” used to have cachet, earned as it was by how often the next words were “ . . . has 300,000 miles on it.” This Corolla, though, lacks the sturdy feel of the cars that built the company’s reputation. It doesn’t feel like an old Toyota; it just feels old. Bumps and hard corners betray its flimsy structure. The doors have a hollow slam. With little of the sculpting that provides the support to keep passengers in place, its spacious rear seat tied for last in our comfort ratings. And there’s a gauziness to the major controls, reinforcing the impression that the car lacks a certain hardiness.

In addition to feeling old and flimsy, the Corolla feels tired, a reliable backmarker in performance testing.

Also, how can something that's only marginal be considered good, especially for a new generation? It's one step above poor.
Keep in mind that the OP will probably not be putting the Corolla through the same driving conditions as a C&D test. Did C&D say how it was for a straight, every day commuter car?
Old 06-06-14, 01:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

When it comes to Toyota ignore everything C&D says.
Old 06-06-14, 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Car & Driver is hardly the magazine that I should at for a Corolla.

All I want is A to B transportation with great reliability. I wouldn't be driving the Corolla fast at all.

The whole goal is to save money on gas, insurance, and car payments
Old 06-06-14, 01:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would look at the Yaris as well then
Old 06-06-14, 02:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

I don't know about the drone on the current gen, but my wife had an 08 Yaris and that thing was horribly loud on long trips

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new 14 Corolla