Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2015 Chrysler 200S AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-14, 09:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting roll-out strategy...looks like we're not going to see sales worth mentioning until September.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...-patience-pays
Old 07-01-14, 05:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Interesting roll-out strategy...looks like we're not going to see sales worth mentioning until September.
I think that will work in the buyer's favor, though not necessarily for leasing, where lease-payments are usually calculated on the car's projected depreciation. Anyhow, low sales often means good discounts, incentives, and a willingness at the dealership to bargain.

BTW, in my own review, despite the car's few quirks, I was sufficiently impressed with it that I wouldn't mind owning a V6 version myself....though the seats aren't quite as comfortable or padded as those on my Verano.
Old 07-01-14, 08:31 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everybody wouldn't "mind" owning one but nobody will actually go out and do it.

I'd stay clear of chrysler, we had a horrible brake defect experience even with full factory warranty still intact.
Old 07-01-14, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tantrix
If you actually read a lot of the posts, that's not the case. Many people, with their view of Chrysler, are stuck in the past, just as people were with Hyundai and Kia, long after their great improvement. People kept their heads in the sand for years after Hyundai and Kia started producing respectable vehicles. Now we're seeing the same thing again with GM and Chrysler.
Old 07-01-14, 10:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix

I'd stay clear of chrysler, we had a horrible brake defect experience even with full factory warranty still intact.
Totally agree. There are people who own Toyota or Hondas that will not touch a Chrysler under any circumstance. Ever! There is nothing wrong with that. Why would they? My Toyota and Lexus products have served me really well, why change?

Now, the Chrylser can be as great a car as it wants to be, but truth of the matter is that the design really does not compete with the Camry or Accord. It competes with an American design and that is what it is. Nothing wrong with that.

Honda/Toyota and Nissan are in one class
200C/Fusion/Malibu are in a different class based on style, features, and price.
Then we have Hyundai which is sort of in the middle between a Japanese car and an American car.

I really feel bad for the folks (like mmarshall) that have been trying and trying to convince people that a Chrysler or Chevrolet might be as good as a Camry or an Accord. This is simply not the case.

Those who want or have been driving a Toyota or Honda for years will more than likely drive the Honda or Toyota for many years.

In my experience, there is a vastly different experience between driving experience and the dealership service experience between a Toyota or Lexus than that of a GM product.
Old 07-01-14, 10:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I think you and Tantrix were saying 2 different things.

In any event, while the above post is true to a large degree, it's not unheard of for people to leave the Asian brands for something else. The Jeep Cherokee has brought in plenty of conquest sales.
Old 07-01-14, 10:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I think you and Tantrix were saying 2 different things.

In any event, while the above post is true to a large degree, it's not unheard of for people to leave the Asian brands for something else. The Jeep Cherokee has brought in plenty of conquest sales.
Show me some stats that people are leaving the Camry for American cars. The Camry still is a best seller and the Accord is right behind so it looks like you are wrong , they are still attracting their hard core fan base.
Old 07-01-14, 11:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

So did you just ignore the part where I said your post is true to a large degree? And here's one article: http://corporate.ford.com/news-cente...es-break-38103
Old 07-01-14, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I really feel bad for the folks (like mmarshall) that have been trying and trying to convince people that a Chrysler or Chevrolet might be as good as a Camry or an Accord. This is simply not the case.
Nothing to feel bad about. I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything....just calling it like I see it.

And are you going to feel sorry for Consumer Reports? They gave the new 2014 Impala even higher marks in their review than I did when I reviewed it.......95 out of 100 on the road test. The Lexus LS460 and Tesla Model S, in comparison, earned 97 and 99.

In fact, most of today's cars, in the last few years, regardless of manufacturer, are built well enough that there is little to feel sorry about, period. I grew up (and spent my young adulthood) in an age when many new cars were true lemons, and a PITA to own. And guess what? Many of the worst ones, back then, were from.........GM and Chrysler.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-01-14, 02:57 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nothing to feel bad about. I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything....just calling it like I see it.

And are you going to feel sorry for Consumer Reports? They gave the new 2014 Impala even higher marks in their review than I did when I reviewed it.......95 out of 100 on the road test. The Lexus LS460 and Tesla Model S, in comparison, earned 97 and 99.

In fact, most of today's cars, in the last few years, regardless of manufacturer, are built well enough that there is little to feel sorry about, period. I grew up (and spent my young adulthood) in an age when many new cars were true lemons, and a PITA to own.
Keep in mind the CR rating was from their Road Test. No reliability info yet from owners which will determine whether or not it's Recommended.
Old 07-01-14, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Keep in mind the CR rating was from their Road Test. No reliability info yet from owners.
Yes, agreed. The Impala's platform, though, is shared with the Lacrosse and XTS. The Lacrosse has been basically average in reliability.

I've full-reviewed all three cars, BTW, and (ironically), I felt the Impala was the best of the three and the XTS the worst....the opposite of their price-tags. The XTS, IMO, is not deserving of Cadillac's flagship role.