Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Alex on Autos Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 09:46 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Alex on Autos Thread

You might be familiar with him from The Truth About Cars.

About:

What's this channel all about? Really long car reviews, that's what.
Ever wondered how Alex on Autos got started? Hopefully this YouTube advertisement will help answer that burning question. All I wanted as a detailed car review but all I could find were budding bromances, entertaining antics, burnouts and car comedians. So I decided to start Alex On Autos and do it myself.

I wanted to know what mattered most to real car shoppers. I wanted to know how comfortable the seats were, what the dashboard looked like in detail. I wanted to know what features were worth buying and how much stuff you could jam in the trunk. I wanted to know what the fuel economy was like and how the car handled rough pavement and mountain living. I'm Alex Dykes and welcome to my channel. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Past reviews:

The GS used to be the only hybrid game in town, but times have changed and nearly everyone has joined the party. BMW has their turbocharged ActiveHybrid 5, Mercedes just launched the E400 Hybrid, Infiniti has re-badged their M Hybrid the Q70 Hybrid, Acura is finally selling the all-wheel-drive RLX Hybrid and Audi has announced the A6 hybrid will come to America "soon." This means that the S80 T6 and Genesis are no longer on my list because we have head-to-head competition now.
Join me as I take a deep dive into one of the last body on frame SUVs sold in America. The Lexus GX has received a refresh for the 2014 model year to deliver more refinement and a touch of style to the American version of the Land Cruiser Prado. I'm still not sure about the grille, so be sure to comment down below and let me know what you think!

Last edited by Motor; 06-01-14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 09:48 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Recent review:

Want to know how family friendly the most fuel efficient Lexus is? I snagged the keys to a 2014 Lexus CT 200h to find out.

Now that I've reviewed the entry level Mercedes and Audi it only made sense to grab the keys to the 2014 Lexus CT 200h for a week. While the CLA 250 and the A3 are designed to give you a sporting and moderately efficient entry to the brand, the Lexus has a slightly different mission in mind. The CT 200h is not just the least expensive Lexus in America, at 42MPG it is also by far the most efficient. So how does the small Lexus hatchback stack up to the competition? Is the CT just a "Lexus Prius"? I'll answer those questions and more in this detailed review.
Old 06-02-14, 04:27 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I wish success for Alex. I'm subscribed. His reviews are detailed, relevant and to the point. He can talk fast yet is understandable. He doesn't have the usual horrible music track during the vids nor does he engage in Goober-ish tire smoking antics.
Old 06-02-14, 11:09 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Instead of an Alex On Autos Weekly segment I decided to whip up a quick (well, as quick as I can make one) video of a 2014 Kia Soul + rental car I had while I was in Southern California for a few days. Hopefully I'll have a Soul for a full week before the end of the summer so I can finish up a complete review set including a child seat video and an infotainment video along with more detailed comparisons. In the mean time, snuggle up with your favorite hamster and enjoy!
Old 06-02-14, 01:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks for sharing this. I subscribe to all the car channels on Youtube
Old 06-06-14, 12:02 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

This week I snagged a 2014 Volkswagen Passat and three child seats to see how family friendly the German sedan really is. Thanks to a considerable stretch versus the last generation Passat, this North American (and Chinese market) sedan easily accommodated child seats in every possible configuration.
Old 06-06-14, 03:50 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I've been following Alex's reviews for a couple years now and love his work. Most detailed and informative for what matters the most for the consumer for 95% of the vehicles sold. Sure, he doesn't perform the coveted 0-60 MPH test and associated performance track tests, but gives you real-world driving feedback on city and highway roads. Very objective reviews. On the flipside, If I want to see a review on a performance car like the new RC F (still anxiously waiting for this), he's definitely not the guy. I wouldn't care for his "exclusive" Trunk Comfort Index evaluation or whether a child seat fits so I'd check out the performance-biased reviews from C&D, R&T and Motor Trend.
Old 06-07-14, 03:58 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Join me as I check out Volkswagen's biggest Passat ever: the North American Passat. (OK, so they sell it in China too) This generation Passat was designed to compete head on with the Camry, Accord and Fusion when it comes to interior space unlike the last generation Passat in America that was always a half step smaller than the competition. In the process the Passat's driving dynamics have been dulled, but does the average shopper mind? Let me know in the comment section below.
Old 06-08-14, 06:42 AM
JM51526
Driver

Really like his reviews. Thorough, thoughtful, and I love how he's taken to splitting out the infotainment and such.
Old 06-13-14, 12:18 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 06-13-14, 09:30 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Last edited by Motor; 06-13-14 at 09:53 AM. Reason: +1
Old 06-14-14, 09:22 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 06-22-14, 05:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 06-22-14, 09:11 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 06-25-14, 03:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

love this guy... who else would have a line like "chrysler does bat s--t crazy really, really well" (19:30)

Quick Reply: The Alex on Autos Thread