Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Alex on Autos Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-14, 12:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've been following Alex's reviews for a couple years now and love his work. Most detailed and informative for what matters the most for the consumer for 95% of the vehicles sold. Sure, he doesn't perform the coveted 0-60 MPH test and associated performance track tests, but gives you real-world driving feedback on city and highway roads. Very objective reviews. On the flipside, If I want to see a review on a performance car like the new RC F (still anxiously waiting for this), he's definitely not the guy. I wouldn't care for his "exclusive" Trunk Comfort Index evaluation or whether a child seat fits so I'd check out the performance-biased reviews from C&D, R&T and Motor Trend.
Good post, Corrado. I share your view that, in most cases, for most potential buyers, the best reviews are a detailed explanation of the car from stem to stern, and not necessarily what its best track times are. One can easily get figures for 0-60, skidpad, G-turns, braking, etc...from enthusiast magazines, but relatively few people take the time to really do a thorough job explaining most of the car itself
Old 08-29-14, 10:54 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ho well do child seats fit in the Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban and Escalade? In this video I explore the 2015 GMC Yukon and see how family friendly it is. Because the Chevy, GMC and Cadillac all share the same basic platform, this review also applies to the other brands. Keep in mind that the Suburban, Escalade ESV and the Yukon XL all have an additional 10+ inches of third row leg room. How well do two child seats fit? How about rear-facing infant seats? Two seats and an adult? I answer all these questions and more.

The child seats used in the video are the Graco Classic Ride 50 which was selected because it was the top selling convertible seat on Amazon at the time. The dimensions are very middle of the road, so depending on the size of your child seat things may turn out differently. Please always remember to check with a certified child seat inspector locally if you have any questions about proper installation.

Sometimes you just need a big SUV. If you need to carry 6 or 7 of your closest friends, you can get away with a large crossover or a minivan but if you need something that seats 9, your options are limited to GM’s full-size SUVs or a selection of passenger vans that time forgot. This is where the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon, Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade ESV come in. GM’s full-size SUV family spans from big to ginormous with a price tag the spans $48,950 on into six digits. If you for some reason thought the era of the big truck-based SUV was over, GM hopes to prove you wrong with their redesigned 2015 models. Thanks to the latest technology from the GMC Sierra and Silverado, the 2015 behemoths are surprisingly agile, powerful and even economical for its size.

GM’s new sheetmetal is their boldest and most attractive yet. Inside we get all new interiors that finally seem like they belong in SUVs that start at $50,000. There are of course the latest Ecotec3 engines under the hood and GM’s heavy duty 6-speed automatic. I’m told that the all-new GM 8-speed auto will debut in the 2015 models with the 6.2L V8 shortly. Thanks to the beefy engines and stout transmissions towing over 4 tons is small work.

If you need the four wheel drive capability and towing ratings of a pickup truck but the passenger carrying ability of a minivan, look no further than the new 2015 GM full-sized SUVs. Just be prepared for some sticker shock.

Last edited by Motor; 08-29-14 at 12:12 PM. Reason: +1
Old 08-30-14, 11:43 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-02-14, 09:03 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The BMW 435i review will be up in about a week and a half. Until then, revel in the trunk comfort index... (I had to do something good for the 300th video).
Old 09-06-14, 01:36 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-12-14, 09:02 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In this all-new segment I explore the random features, options, designs and engineering in the BMW 435i.

While BMW's reasons behind renaming the 3-series convertible the 4-series make sense to me in a practical way, the fact that there will soon be a 4-series sedan (I mean grand coupe, my bad) makes me scratch my head. Anyway, the reason goes like this: the 4-series is more expensive than the 3-series but less than the 5-series so it reduces confusion. Feel less confused? Good. Let's move on.

The 435i convertible is quite simply one of the best luxury drop tops on offer. It offers excellent drivetrains, handling that doesn't make you feel like you're piloting a wet noodle and more cargo practicality than you would think possible. Because the luxury four seat convertible market seems to be shrinking in the USA rather than expanding, the 4-series manages to be one of the better buys despite its overtly steep price tag. Offering more comfort, more features, more cargo room and more rear headroom, legroom and shoulder room than the Infiniti, Lexus, or Mercedes options, the 435i's only worry is that a widely expected Cadillac ATS convertible will exceed expectations. Only trouble is; GM won't confirm the rumours.
Old 09-20-14, 11:16 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-20-14, 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

wow, near 40 minutes of review (2 parts) of the chrysler 200. haven't watched yet though.
Old 09-27-14, 04:09 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-28-14, 06:37 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

With the 2015 Kia Sedona, Kia is trying to bring good looks and luxury options to the often overlooked minivan segment. Of course Kia would prefer if we referred to the Sedona as a "Multi Purpose Vehicle" in the hopes that folks in my generation will look kindly on the people mover. Whatever you want to call it, the all-new Sedona is easily the best looking option in this category. The look combines the vertical front end found in crossovers with Kia's latest grille design from the K900 sedan and a side profile similar to the average 3-row crossover.

On the inside the crossover theme continues with a fixed center console that houses the shifter, cupholders and considerably less storage than you will find in your average minivan. Also different from the other minivans are second row seats that aren't removable and don't fold flat into the floor. While this undoubtably makes the Sedona less practical than the competition in some ways, it allows the second row to be more comfortable than the alternatives, most notably the Town & Country and the Grand Caravan.

Add in more available features and luxury gadgets than your average crossover, a dollop of value vs the Highlander or Durango and the Sedona makes a solid case for shoppers that would not otherwise look at a minivan.
Old 10-04-14, 09:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Want to know how well child seats fit in the 2015 Kia K900 luxury sedan? How about two child seats? Or three? In this video I answer all your questions regarding child seat installation from forward facing to rearward facing and check to see if you can fit three child seats in the back.

Old 10-05-14, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

K900 looks awesome in that color
Old 10-06-14, 11:35 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

While down in sunny Southern California looking at the all-new 2015 Kia Sedona I also had the chance to quickly sample the new EV version of Kia's popular and funky Soul. The 2015 Soul was designed from the start to accept an EV powertrain and as a result there is little compromise inside aside from the deletion of the doughnut spare tire. With the longest range this side of the Tesla Model S and efficiency ratings that are surprisingly high for a vehicle that is tall and square, the Soul EV might just be the best mass market EV. It's more practical than a Fiat 500e, has better range and more cargo space than a Focus EV, and is more luxurious inside than a Nissan LEAF. In typical Kia fashion, the pricing is aggressive and there's a low-cost lease deal if you can keep your mileage in check.
Old 10-11-14, 09:49 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 10-18-14, 12:10 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Quick Reply: The Alex on Autos Thread