Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Alex on Autos Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 01:44 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

The Genesis is growing on me, and it's thanks in part to thorough real-world reviews by Alex!
Old 07-24-14, 09:50 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though the 4Runner was refreshed for 2014, little has changed over time for the Toyota's mid-sized go-anywhere SUV. That means the 4Runner's body still sits on a frame. That also means the 4Runner, Nissan Xterra and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited are the only mid-sized non-luxury body on frame SUVs left in America. (And I'm not sure I'd even call the smallish Wrangler a mid-size SUV.) Of course I can't go further without mentioning the 4Runner's modern nemesis: the decidedly unibody Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The gentle refresh to the interior consists of a new steering wheel, radio head units, gauge cluster, seat fabrics and plastic color choices. The new steering wheel is essentially shared with the Tundra and features a thick rim, well places sport grips, soft leather and well placed radio buttons. While Toyota claims that the front seats are unchanged from 2013, they seemed softer and more comfortable. This could be down to the new fabric choices, but I think some foam was changed as well.

Ergonomics in the 4Runner have always been secondary to the off-road mission, and because little substance has changed for 2014 that remains. Window switches have gained an Auto feature but are still in an awkward and high place on the door, possibly to keep then out of the water should you stall in a stream. Radio ***** and switches and the 4WD shift level all require a decent reach for the average driver. Unlike the Grand Cherokee you can still get a 7-seat version of the 4Runner in SR5 and Limited trim, Trail and TRD Pro remains 5-seat only. The extra two seats are an interesting option because the Nissan Xterra and Grand Cherokee, the only two rugged off-roaders left, are strict 5-seaters.

Yes, Toyota continues to add creature comforts, and I'm sure they will sell plenty of the RWD Limited model in suburbia, but at its heart the 4Runner is an off-road SUV. This is quite different from the Jeep Grand Cherokee which has been on a constant march toward the mainstream. (Albeit with an eye toward off-roading.) This is obvious when you look at Jeep's switch to fully independent air suspension, constant size increases, a plethora of engine options and curb weight gone out of control. Don't get me wrong, I love the Grand Cherokee, but if you want to climb rocks, it's not the best choice. Meanwhile, Toyota has in many ways re-focused on off-roading. The 4Runner offers a myriad of off-road software aids and the retention of a mechanically locking solid rear axle and rugged frame. In this light, keeping the old drivetrain makes sense: it's tried and true and there are plenty of aftermarket accessories designed with it in mind.

The 4Runner may be a go-anywhere SUV, but it's not a tow-anything SUV. The V6 and 5-speed combo limit the 4Runner to 4,700lbs, down from the 7,300lbs the defunct V8 model could shift. That's thousands of pounds less than the Grand Cherokee and even 300lbs less than the Ford Explorer crossover. However, even this can be seen as a refocusing on the 4Runner's core mission. As I've noted before, nobody seems to tow with their mid-size SUV except me, and off-roaders prefer the lower weight and better balance of the V6 for true off-road duty.

With Toyota canning the slow selling FJ Cruiser at some point soon, the 4Runner will soldier on as one of the last rugged SUVs. For a model that helped ignite the SUV/CUV explosion, it's refreshing that the 4Runner has stayed true to its roots: providing a daily driver capable off-road machine. The Wrangler Unlimited is a better rock crawler with solid axles front and rear, better approach/departure/breakover angles, better ground clearance and a lower range gearbox, but the Wrangler is too off-road dedicated for the school run. If you're one of the few that drops the kids off and heads over to the off-road park on your way to Costco, the 4Runner is for you. If you're the majority of SUV shoppers, there are more "conflicted" "compromised" options out there that will fit your lifestyle better. Jeep will be happy to sell you one.
Old 07-24-14, 09:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor
lacks 3d maps and didn't see voice input much, but the responsiveness, user interface, and screen resolution/graphics are awesome. love that it has controller plus touch screen.
Old 07-26-14, 10:09 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Want to know how well child seats fit in the 2014/2015 Kia Soul? How about two child seats and an adult? Three child seats in the back? In this video I answer all your burning child seat questions. Can three convertible seats like the Graco Classic Ride 50 fit in the back? Just how big is that cargo area?

In this week's video I check out the redesigned Kia Soul. This funky-chunky hatchback might just be my favorite new car under $30,000. Although the look may not be for everyone, the Soul manages to pack an incredible amount of cargo storage, surprising comfort, a plethora of luxury car features and acceptable fuel efficiency into a cheeky package that sadly didn't include a single hamster.
Old 07-27-14, 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

kia soul is functional, but those rims alone kill it.
Old 07-27-14, 10:15 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
kia soul is functional, but those rims alone kill it.
Just the rims? The whole car is an eyesore. [Insert Kill It With Fire .gif Here]
Old 08-01-14, 10:58 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In today's child seat review I take a deep dive into the 2015 Acura MDX and see how well three average sized convertible child seats fit inside. The child seats I use are the Graco Classic Ride 50 child seat which was selected because it was the top selling convertible seat on Amazon at the time. The dimensions are very middle of the road, so depending on the size of your child seat things may turn out differently. Pleas always remember to check with a certified child seat inspector locally if you have any questions about proper installation.
Old 08-02-14, 10:35 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The 2015 MDX's conservative, evolutionary design is why the MDX is instantly identifiable as an Acura. Up front we have standard full-LED headlamps which means the MDX is one of the few vehicles on the road of any description with standard LED beams. While Acura's signature "beak" remains up front, it has been toned down in this generation and I actually find the look pleasing to the eye.

The MDX is notable for being a mid-sized crossover with seven seats. This size difference is important to keep in mind because comparisons to the likes of the Infiniti QX56, Mercedes GL, and Lexus GX seem everywhere. The more appropriate cross-shops are the Infiniti JX35 (now the QX60), Buick Enclave, Volvo XC90 and maybe the Lincoln MKT.

Acura continues to stick to their formula of traditional injection molded dashboards and plenty of convincing fake wood. I would be interested to hear your opinions on this choice, so be sure to sound off in the comment section below. While I like the look and the materials are premium in feel, it can’t match the visual impact or feel of a stitched leather/pleather dash, something that the refreshed Buick Enclave does incredibly well. The MDX continues to do have a very uniform feel with perfect seams and gaps and a consistent quality level throughout, something that Buick’s CUV continues to struggle with (the lower dash and door plastics in the Enclave are still a bit cheap.)

In 2014 Acura swapped the 3.7L V6 for the new 3.5L “Earth Dreams” mill with direct-injection and “Variable Cylinder Management.” (VCM allows the V6 to drop to a 3-cylinder mode on the highway.) To quell vibrations, the MDX gets unique active engine mounts which generate vibrations opposite to what the engine produces to cancel them out. (Think Bose noise cancelling headphones.) Despite the DI treatment, power is down from 300HP to 290 and torque takes a small drop from 270 to 267 lb-ft as well. To counter the power loss, Acura put the MDX on a diet and improved low-end torque which mean that performance is up, even with the power down.

Thanks to SH-AWD, the Acura is almost the X5′s dynamic dance partner, unfortunately you can’t completely hide the MDX’s extra nose weight. The MDX shines against the Infiniti QX60 with a more refined and better performing drivetrain. Encore shoppers looking for a more premium brand and some handling cred won’t be appointed and Mercedes ML shoppers will find a better value in the MDX than the German. The MDX's fiercest competitor is likely to be the forthcoming 2016 Volvo XC90 with similar dynamics, a similar brand reputation but a fresh new product with a more fuel efficient and powerful engine line. Join me next year for that review.
Old 08-09-14, 11:04 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Join me as I take a deep dive into the 2015 Honda Fit. Hondas's subcompact has been completely redesigned for the 2015 model year bringing a new engine, transmission, interior and infotainment to one of the best values in the segment.

Up front the Fit's new nose is better integrated with the rest of the Honda family and out back the LED tail lamps and broad "hips" are reminiscent of the Volvo C30.

The new 1.5L EarthDreams four cylinder engine and a Continuously Variable Transmission team up to deliver fuel economy that rivals most hybrids and acceleration times near the top of the pack.

Overall the Fit is one of the best cars I have driven this year and one of the best values as well. If the Versa Note, Sonic, Fiesta or Rio5 are on your shopping list, you'd do well to check out the Fit before making any decisions.
Old 08-10-14, 09:39 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

You asked for it, you got it. In this video I talk about the Audi Quattro all wheel drive system that you find in vehicles like the A4, A6, A7, A8, Q5 and Q7. This is not the same as the transverse system in the A3, TT and Q3.
Old 08-11-14, 05:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motor
just watched this one - talk about thorough review. i drove a gx years ago and was super impressed with the cushy quiet ride. alex says it's quieter than an LS he drove

it's still a funky, hugely heavy vehicle though, but can't deny they're selling a bunch now!
Old 08-14-14, 10:40 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Ever wondered how a dual-clutch transmission works? In this video I talk about the difference between a traditional automatic transmission and a the dual-clutch transmissions found in a variety of new cars on the road today.
Old 08-15-14, 03:50 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Will three child seats fit in the back of a 2014/2015 Audi Q5? The answer is: not if they are the Graco Classic Ride 50 model. In this video I explore Audi's Q5 luxury crossover and see how family friendly it is. How well do two child seats fit? How about rear-facing infant seats? Two seats and an adult? I answer all these questions and more.

The child seats used in the video are the Graco Classic Ride 50 which was selected because it was the top selling convertible seat on Amazon at the time. The dimensions are very middle of the road, so depending on the size of your child seat things may turn out differently. Pleas always remember to check with a certified child seat inspector locally if you have any questions about proper installation.

While we all wait for the 2016 Audi Q5 to land next year I sampled the 2014 /2015 Q5 TDI for a week. The Q5 manages to be the best value in this luxury European crossover segment, one of the fastest, one of the most efficient and has more variations and options than several of the competition combined. With this much on offer it would be hard for a luxury crossover shopper to *not* find just what they were looking for at the Audi dealer.

Last edited by Motor; 08-15-14 at 03:58 PM. Reason: +1
Old 08-16-14, 05:27 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 08-22-14, 10:44 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Will three child seats fit in the back of a Ford Focus? In this video I explore the 2014 Ford Focus Sedan and see how family friendly it is. Because the vehicle's primary dimensions are unchanged with the 2015 refresh, this video also applies to the 2015 Ford Focus as well. How well do two child seats fit? How about rear-facing infant seats? Two seats and an adult? I answer all these questions and more.

The child seats used in the video are the Graco Classic Ride 50 which was selected because it was the top selling convertible seat on Amazon at the time. The dimensions are very middle of the road, so depending on the size of your child seat things may turn out differently. Please always remember to check with a certified child seat inspector locally if you have any questions about proper installation.

Quick Reply: The Alex on Autos Thread