Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Alex on Autos Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 12:16 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
love this guy... who else would have a line like "chrysler does bat s--t crazy really, really well" (19:30)
He definitely has some good one-liners from time to time.

New review:

In this week's child seat review I look at the Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX60. This large three row crossover not only has a very accommodating third row but the second row's 40% side has a nifty feature allowing you to keep a forward facing child seat installed (LATCH anchors only) and still gain easy entry into the third row. While you can easily fit three child seats in the back, narrower seats may be required if you plan on folding or sliding the second row often.
So you you need to carry seven people in comfort with decent economy but you don't want a minivan? Enter Infiniti's three-row luxury hybrid crossover, the QX60 Hybrid. Thanks to stronger fuel economy regulations there are plenty of three-row CUVs to choose from, but if you want something with a better brand name under 60-large that sips gasoline like a mid-sized sedan, you're left with few options. Infiniti has had incredible success with the non-hybrid version of the QX60 coming in third in the segment despite being one of the newest entries.

Last edited by Motor; 06-28-14 at 01:04 PM. Reason: +1
Old 06-29-14, 11:30 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In the QX60 (as tested) the standard 7-inch infotainment screen does everything but navigation. iDevice/USB integration is of course standard as is Bluetooth and a 6-speaker audio system with a single disc CD player and XM radio. Opting for the "premium package" gets you Infiniti's easy to use navigation system with a high-resolution 8-inch touchscreen, a 13-speaker Bose sound system, voice control, and Infiniti's slick all-around camera system. The system uses four cameras and some trick processing to stitch images together to form an "aerial view" making easy work of tight parking situations.
Old 06-30-14, 12:51 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Have you been wondering how the Acura SH-AWD system differs from other "Haldex style" AWD systems? In this video I explain how Super Handling All Wheel Drive differs from Audi's Quattro, BMW's x-Drive and the other transverse AWD systems on the market.
Old 06-30-14, 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Alex reviews are simply too dated and way to long to watch as a fan of cars.

But, if looking and serious about a particular model, then the info is worthwhile.

Not sure if Alex is legit or just some guy with a camera and a tripod, the guy needs someone to seriously edit down all the details he is trying to include.
Old 07-03-14, 10:21 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Want to know how well the Nissan Altima acommodates child seats? This week I take a look at the 2014/2015 Nissan Altima with child seats in mind. I talk rearward facing seats, forward facing seats, the dreaded three-across test and then I jam some cargo in the trunk.
Old 07-04-14, 05:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Alex reviews are simply too dated and way to long to watch as a fan of cars.
how are they dated? obviously if the video was done years ago then they're not current, but anyway...

But, if looking and serious about a particular model, then the info is worthwhile.
exactly, and that's why i like them. if you want some 2 minute puff piece on a vehicle you're not interested in buying then alex is not your guy.

Not sure if Alex is legit or just some guy with a camera and a tripod,
what's "legit" on youtube? if you like it it's legit for you.

the guy needs someone to seriously edit down all the details he is trying to include.
i 100% disagree.
Old 07-05-14, 10:05 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The "family sedan" may not be very exciting, but without midsized sales auto makers would be in a pickle. Ponder this: the five best-selling midsized sedans in America accounted for 1.3 million of the 12.8 million vehicles sold in 2011. With numbers like that, it's important to get your mass-market people mover right. This means competitive fuel economy, a low base price and swipe as much tech from your luxury brand as possible. Either that or just wear a Nissan badge on the front. Say what? The last generation Altima was the second best-selling car despite being long in the tooth and filled with some questionable plastics. This Altima has a tougher task however, it needs to compete with Honda's new Accord and Ford's sexy Fusion which is selling like hot cakes. Can Nissan's traditional value proposition make up the difference? Or does the Altima have something else up its sleeve?
Ever wondered what an automated car was looks like on Nissan and Infiniti's all around camera system? Wonder no longer. And before you ask, yes, that's all this video is. (I couldn't think of a decent way to work it into the review).
Old 07-11-14, 10:32 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

On this week's child review segment I check out the best handling compact crossover under $40,000: the 2014/2015 Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line. Want to know how well child seats fit in the German alternative to the RAV4, CR-V, Escape and more? Join me as I find out.

Until VW's new infotainment system from the 2015 Golf filters its way down to the rest of the VW lineup the RNS315 system is the top-level system in Volkswagen's less expensive vehicles like the EOS, Jetta and Tiguan. Today I check out the system in a 2014/2015 Tiguan to see how it stacks up.

With the all-new Tiguan seemingly pushed back to 2016 I got my hands on the current generation Tiguan to see how the best handling compact crossover under $40,000 stacks up. I'll compare the Tiguan to the RAV-4, CR-V, Escape, Equinox and CX-5 as I explore the exterior, interior, features and hop in the cargo area for my exclusive Trunk Comfort Index.
Old 07-13-14, 05:56 AM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Job! Alex
Old 07-14-14, 12:31 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

At long last I got my hands on the new Subaru Forester! In this video I check to see how child seat friendly the Subie really is by jamming one, two and three child seats in the back. Come back later this week for the full Forester XT review!
Old 07-16-14, 10:19 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Today after much anticipation I drive the 2015 Subaru Forester XT. The Forester is one of the last crossovers sold in America that was actually designed for use off the paved commute. Enjoy!

You asked for it, you got it! In this video I take a look at Subaru's AWD system and compare it to the FWD based systems in the competition as well as Audi's Quattro.
Old 07-16-14, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^^ subaru awd details and comparison is awesome!
Old 07-18-14, 09:45 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In this week's child seat review I take a look at the all-new 2015 Hyundai Genesis. The Genesis has been thoroughly redesigned for the 2015 model year to elevate the brand further than the previous Genesis and more directly compete with the Mercedes E-Class, BMW 5-Series and Lexus GS. While the old model was frequently compared to the Chrysler 300, this Genesis really takes things up a notch.
Old 07-19-14, 12:08 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In this video I take an in depth look at the infotainment and navigation system in the 2015 Hyundai Genesis. The same software is standard but there are two different screen sizes and we're looking at the larger of the two in this video.

If the 2009 Hyundai Genesis was a shot across the bow of Lexus and Infiniti, then the 2015 Genesis 5.0 is a torpedo hit below the water. While BMW and Mercedes didn't seem overly concerned about the last generation Genesis, this 2015 model should make them very worried indeed.

From the outside, the Genesis (in all trims) strikes most of the right cords with luxury shoppers that prefer flowing lines to sharp creases. While previous products from Korea have been more imitation than innovation, the Genesis both deviates from the theme yet clearly draws inspiration from the rivals.

Of course the ultimate question is: can Hyundai convince luxury car buyers that they can get most of the same goodies on a $50K Hyundai as a $70K German or Japanese sedan? Even if that hurdle can be jumped, will the brand conscious think twice? To those adventurous car shoppers who manage to look beyond brand perception, they will find a car maker with the best warranty in the industry making reliable cars with a dollop of style and a 'whole lotta' value. What kind of buyer are you? Are you buying that LS 460 because it carries a $70,000 price tag, or because you like the way it coddles you? Are you buying the BMW for the roundel or for the 0-60 time? I would posit the Hyundai does all the above minus the badge. As a result the Genssis is my new favorite car for 2014.
Old 07-19-14, 12:30 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been following his reviews for a while. He is very detailed and likes to point out the differences with other vehicles in the same segment for comparison purposes. I like him.

Quick Reply: The Alex on Autos Thread