Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Alex on Autos Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 09:16 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-27-14, 10:09 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Since everyone else is engine 2014 with their top picks, I'm doing the same. You'll notice something different about my top picks however, they are all quite ordinary in the minds of my colleagues.
Old 01-04-15, 05:32 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 01-07-15, 11:30 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Although many shoppers seem to think the Lexus NX was designed to compete with the BMW X1, Mercedes GLA or Audi Q3, it is in fact a solid X3 / XC60 / GLK / G5 competitor. Where does that leave the Lexus RX? Excellent question. The RX is a half-step larger and slots between the Lincoln MKX and Cadillac SRX in size.

While Land Rover arguably invented the concept of a luxury SUV with their first Range Rover, the 1998 Lexus RX is the vehicle that's had the single biggest impact on the luxury industry. Initially derided by the press as a lifted Camry with delusions of grandeur, calling the RX a run away sales success would be an understatement. Lexus' original crossover now accounts for over a third of the brand's total volume in America and holds the crown as the best selling luxury vehicle on our shores. Trouble is, the RX has grown over time and is now a half-step too big for European tastes. In the hopes of dominating a third of Lexus brand sales in Europe, Lexus engineers went back to the drawing board and created s little brother for the RX: the 2015 Lexus NX.

The right-sized Lexus crossover is, as you'd expect, almost exactly the same size as the Audi Q5, Volvo XC60, BMW X3 and Acura RDX. That puts the NX slightly ahead of the Mercedes GLK, four inches ahead of the 2015 Lincoln MKC and a full foot longer than the Range Rover Evoque. With 6.9 inches of ground clearance the NX should be just as dirt-road capable as the average luxury soft-roader and interestingly Lexus bothers to publish approach and departure angles. In case you're now wondering, approach is 28.7 degrees in 200t and 300h trim and 16.8 deg in the F-Sport because of the flatter front end. Departure remains 24 degrees on all models.

Before you ask, the NX isn't a shrunken RX and it isn't a luxury RAV-4 either. Lexus claims that 90% of the parts are unique to the NX and those that are shared are primarily related to the optional hybrid system. Thanks to the clean sheet design, the NX is the first Lexus that looks comfortable in the new corporate uniform.While other Lexus models (namely the LS) wear the "spindle" grille surprisingly well, other aspects of the new design language haven't translated well to the luxury brand's utility vehicles. The "Nike swoosh" LED daytime running lamp modules that look oddly out-of-place on the IS sedan actually work on the NX and I found myself wondering why. I think the answer can be found in the headlamp module which is much sleeker than in other Lexus models thanks to standard LED low beams. Overall the combination allows for a more balanced front end.

From tip to tail there's no doubt that the NX's design won't be for everyone, but I find that refreshing for a brand long known for design-restraint. I wouldn't exactly call it the looks ground breaking or polarizing, but this is as close as Lexus has even been. Although Lexus is making an NX F Sport Hybrid, Lexus has chosen to not offer the aggressive grille and fuel-sipping engine combo in America.Under the hood beats the first turbo engine Lexus has sold in America: an all-new 2.0L direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine. While the engineers spent most of their time telling members of the press how fantastic their turbo design is, I was more intrigued that this seems to be the first non-hybrid drivetrain that can switch between an Otto and an Atkinson cycle. (Mazda tells me they do not consider the SkyAcitv design an Atkinson cycle.) The technology behind this is a new variable valve timing system that can adjust the intake and exhaust cam timing independently allowing for a late intake valve closure when efficiency rather than torque is required. Also on the trivia list is an air-to-water intercooler instead of a more typical air-to-air unit. The result is 235 horsepower from 4,800-5,600 RPM and 258 lb-ft from 1,650-4,000 RPM.

Rather than borrowing the 8-speed automatic used in the RX 350 F Sport (and the XC60), Lexus chose to refresh an existing 6-speed auto and tweak it for the turbo engine's low-end torque. The engineer I spoke with claimed that the rationale behind the missing gears was that "an 8-speed automatic isn't as much fun with paddle shifters." Make of that what you will.
Old 01-10-15, 10:20 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Want a sneak-peek at the up-coming review of the 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack? Are you wondering how you can justify a 485 HP vehicle? Chrysler makes it strangely easy by selling the 707 horsepower Hellcat thereby making 485 ponies seem rational, practical, or dare I say it: conservative.

With all luck the full review on the 2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack should be up in about 3 hours... In the mean time, enjoy the Child Seat Review.

Designing “retro” always sounds easy to me. You pull out a picture of ye olde Challenger from 1971, put it next to a picture of your largest sedan and make the shapes fit. Tack on some 5MPH inspired bumpers, spray it with lime-green paint and hey-presto, you have a modern Challenger. You also have one enormous coupé. Sure, Chrysler says the “LC” platform Challenger is shorter than their “LX” platform sedans, but you’d be hard pressed to say where inches were excised. The result is a heavyweight muscle car that is nearly a foot longer than a Mustang.

Parked next to the Camaro and Mustang, the Challenger dwarfs them both like the Jolly Green Giant next to Little Pea. This means comparisons between the three muscle cars is difficult. It doesn’t make rational sense to me either because they’re just not the same kind of car. While the Challenger’s dimensions are likely to turn off some shoppers, I was strangely intrigued.

Thanks to the proportions and long wheelbase, rear accommodations are large, comfortable and “normally” shaped. What do I mean by that? Sit in a Mustang, Camaro, or most other two-door four-seat coupés and you’ll notice the seat backs are set at an odd angle to “improve” the headroom and legroom numbers in an otherwise small rear compartment. Despite having (on paper) only three inches more legroom and two more inches of headroom than the Mustang or Camaro, the rear cabin feels cavernous. It’s even possible to squeeze a third adult in the rear of the Challenger, something you can’t do in the four-seat Camaro or Mustang. What else can you do? Drop three child seats in the back.

Rather than trying to be the American 4-Series, the Challenger is more like the American BMW 6-Series or Mercedes CL. The bigger, softer Challenger is a more practical car, a more comfortable car, and with power figures that start at 300HP and go to Lamborghini territory with the 707HP Hellcat, this is a very different beast. Marching to its own drummer the Challenger is an easy win for me. The 485HP 6.4L V8 is also an easy win because you can justify it as being the practical alternative to the 707HP monster. There's just one problem: you can get the same engine in the nearly identically handling Charger SRT...
Old 01-18-15, 08:50 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Thanks to the long wheelbase and long overall length of the Fusion, I had no problems putting a rearward facing convertible child seat in the back of Ford's mid-sized sedan. However, like the Chrysler 200 things can get a little snug in the rear if you need to install three larger child seats. The Graco Classic Ride 50 seat I use is very middle-of-the-road in terms of size and three fit with just a hair of room to spare. Join me as I go over the details you need to know when installing child seats in the Fusion, talk about Ford's exciting new inflatable seat belt and more.
Old 01-23-15, 09:53 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Back in 2006 I saved $6,000 on the purchase of my beloved (and long since sold) 2006 Volvo V70R. How? I took delivery of it in Sweden. There seems to be a great deal of mystery around the "get it in Europe" programs offered by Audi, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes and others, so in this video I'll tell you the basics about how the programs work and share my experiences from 9 years ago with you all.

Volvo has always done things a little differently than BMW and Mercedes. Rather than hold back updates and release them all in "mid-cycle refreshes," Volvo prefers to let the changes dribble out slowly year after year. As a result of this process a car can change significantly over time but it happens so incrementally that to the casual observer it's still the same car that launched four years ago. Such is the case for the 2015 Volvo S60. Vurses the S60 launched just four short years ago (US launch was three years ago in 2011), this S60 has new bumpers, hood, grille, seats, dashboard, infotainment system, gauge cluster, headlamps, new and revised safety systems, all-new engines, and a new 8-speed transmission. The question before us today is: are these changes enough to keep the S60 fresh and competitive while we wait for the complete model-line makeover we're all expecting in the next few years? In this T5 Drive E form the S60 finally has the shove to match the 328i in terms of acceleration and manages to best the 320i for fuel economy all while costing thousands less. Despite its age, Volvo looks on the right track.
Old 01-30-15, 09:56 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 02-07-15, 01:56 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 02-12-15, 08:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Can you fit three child seats in the 2015 CR-V? Can an adult sit in the front seat with a rearward facing convertible seat behind them? Today I drive the 2015 CR-V to find out.

For 2015 Honda has significantly refreshed the CR-V with a new engine, new transmission, a refreshed interior and the easy-to-use infotainment system from the 2015 Honda Civic. Instead of borrowing the Civc's engine however Honda has essentially lifted the continuously variable transmission, or CVT, and engine from the Accord modifying it to accept the CR-V's AWD system. As a result of the stepless transmission and direct-injection, fuel economy takes a serious real world jump. Also along for the ride is an available collision warning system, available radar cruise control and autonomous braking system. The CR-V still doesn't match the snazzy gizmo tally found in the Cherokee or Escape, but the average shopper in this segment will likely be swayed by the CR-V's excellent mileage, comfortable seats and sterling reliability reputation.
Old 02-13-15, 10:40 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

In this video I check out Nissan's large 2-row crossover and see how well child seats fit in the back. Can an adult sit in front of a rearward facing convertible seat? Do three average child seats fit in the rear? How's the cargo capacity. All that and more.

As a large 2-row crossover, Nissan's Murano plays in the "tweener" segment between the likes of the RAV4 / CR-V / Rogue and the larger Highlander / Pilot / Pathfinder. Giving you more room than you'd find in the compact crossover segment but fewer seats than the large crossovers, the Murano may just be your Goldilocks CUV. Competition comes in the form of the Toyota Venza, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Ford Edge and perhaps the Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Subaru Outback. For 2015 Nissan has completely redesigned the Murano with a striking exterior design and very modern interior. The Santa Fe Sport takes the value position in this segment, the Jeep is the off-road capable entry leaving the Edge and the Murano to duke it out. Who will be the winner? Watch and find out.
Old 02-20-15, 10:40 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Can an adult sit in front of a rearward facing convertible seat? Do three average child seats fit in the rear? How's the cargo capacity. All that and more.

Join me as I take an in-depth dive into the 8-inch radio/navigation system in the new Hyundai Sonata.

Is the Hyundai Sonata right for you? Check out the most detailed review on YouTube to find out. In 4K!
Old 02-27-15, 09:33 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Can you fit three child seats in a Chevy Trax or Buick Encore? Check this video out!

Is the Chevy Trax right for you? Should you buy the Buick Encore or Jeep Renegade instead? Watch and find out.
Old 03-03-15, 01:13 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

A 2WD car with winter tires will out handle, out brake and in many situations out accelerate a car on all-season tires. Why is that and what'd the difference between Summer, All-Season and Winter tires? Check this video out to find out how to maximize your safety in every season.
Old 03-04-15, 09:14 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

What's the range extender like? How long to charge? Is it a hybrid or an EV? All that ans more answered in this frequently asked questions video.

Quick Reply: The Alex on Autos Thread