Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How far away from the building entrance do you park your car to avoid a scratch or di
I don't stress over this. I park as close as possible.
11.11%
I'm aware of the risk, but I sometimes take my chances.
27.78%
I'd park on the moon if I could!
61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

How far do you park your car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 06:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I pulled the security footage from inside my car.
you have a video security system in your car?
Old 06-01-14, 06:54 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park out a little only because I don't like to parking place shop. I don't worry about dents or carts, doesn't matter which car I am driving, cars come and go, I am not sweating stuff I cannot control, let the guy that buys my cars used deal with it...........
Old 06-01-14, 06:12 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Default Door Ding Phobia

I've always parked far away from other cars in parking lots. It gives me a little exercise and I've never had a door ding in 35 years of car ownership.
Old 06-01-14, 06:37 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as close as possible. never babied my car. but i baby my jordans. lol
Old 06-02-14, 04:03 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I park as far as I can when possible. Still, it means nothing. I've parked out in left field in a sub section of a sub section lot with zero cars around and when I returned, there was the clunker parked right up next to my door.
When I have no choice but to park in the main lot I have rules I abide by.

1. Park as far far away as I can
2. Park next to an island with the curb to my right.
3. Never park between two, 2 door cars.
4. Never park next to a clunker.
5. Never park next to a minivan or a Volvo.
6. And never, EVER take up 2 parking spaces. You might as well draw a bullseye on your car.
Old 06-02-14, 05:09 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

I park in a safe spot, no matter how much time it takes to find one. Still more economical than to have a nasty scratch or ding remove. We have a lot of door flingers here and of course they try to park as near as possible to you, some needy issue I suppose, they want to share your car space.
My personal take is to buy myself an old clapped out Land Rover Defender with a sticker: Please dent my ride, just be careful of the dents already on it. But then I don't fancy the Saturday afternoons, overhauling the engine, fixing the breaks etc and the bone jarring ride.
Old 06-02-14, 01:34 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, how do you guys feel about valet then? Valet will park your car where they please....well, unless you slip them some green.
Old 06-02-14, 01:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
Well, how do you guys feel about valet then? Valet will park your car where they please....well, unless you slip them some green.
I always give a good tip and tell the valet with a smile that the car has no dings.Let's keep it that way.
Old 06-02-14, 01:41 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you tip at drop off and at pick up? (Sorry, this may be going off topic)
Old 06-02-14, 05:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I simply don't valet....
Old 06-02-14, 07:05 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Park as far as i could! Only time i park next to someone is if they are also parked far away and its a clean unique exotic sports car or another Lexus
Usually park far or alone especially after a wash

Last edited by Joey-E; 06-02-14 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 09:50 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Park as far as i could! Only time i park next to someone is if they are also parked far away and its a clean unique exotic sports car or another Lexus
Usually park far or alone especially after a wash
Yep, sometimes I park next to really expensive cars because I know they don't want to eff up their own vehicle.

I don't park next to this:

Parking next to anything beat up could be risky. if their bumper is smashed to hell, or they've got a different colored door/fender/trunk, I have to assume that the accident was because of their stupidity, and not park next to them.
Old 06-02-14, 10:35 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
When I have no choice but to park in the main lot I have rules I abide by.

1. Park as far far away as I can
2. Park next to an island with the curb to my right.
3. Never park between two, 2 door cars.
4. Never park next to a clunker.
5. Never park next to a minivan or a Volvo.
6. And never, EVER take up 2 parking spaces. You might as well draw a bullseye on your car.
I always park far away, and if I can (place isn't busy), I take up 2 spots, sometimes 3. I have no shame. LOL Plus I love looking at my car for a while as I walk back to my car. It's a silly love affair we have.

When I have absolutely NO choice, I use the rules above (except the island rule #2, but this is one I will adopt). Oh, and of course, I don't follow #6 at all.

When taking up multiple spots, no one's ever keyed my car or done anything silly in 20 years. I'm so far away, they're like "why bother".

I will admit one time I was the mall, and parked far away. I took up two spots. The mall was empty around Noon. When I came out 4 hours later, the mall was packed, the parking lot was filled even in the back where I was....so now I'm parked across 2 spots in a filled parking lot. I did feel like an azz. Someone left a handwritten note on my car calling me the same name. And since people were driving past my car looking for spaces as I was sheepishly walking up, I saw a lot of angry faces staring out of windows at my car taking up 2 spaces. I felt really bad that day. But no one keyed or damaged my car.

It's only happened once in 20+ years though, so I must have some good karma built up. If someone was going to vandalize my car, that was the day.

I still take up 2 spots whenever I can, and simply park in remote areas of the parking lot....I need the exercise anyway, plus again, I like walking up to my car and catching it from different angles. What can I say, I love cars, especially mine.
Old 06-02-14, 10:46 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
you have a video security system in your car?
I used to for two weeks. The shop that I utilize to do all my electrical work wanted me to test out the module they were in talks of being contracted to use. It worked out just fine with great field of view and full clarity, but what we didn't anticipate was how much it would drain the battery. We were even discussing a secondary power source, but it just all became too weight bearing on the car. I do track my car a few times, and I would rather not constantly remove and re-install components. But if I had to park on the street or somewhere for an extended period of time, then certainly I'd consider it to be a worthwhile investment.
Old 06-02-14, 11:30 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the opportunity arises ill park further away. Sometimes Im just like f it and take a chance. If I see a nicer car or a modified car ill park next to it. Only if Im in my Lex or BMW not the beater.

Quick Reply: How far do you park your car...