Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Adaptive Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford Adaptive Steering

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ford-...photo-2644168/

Official Press

Ford to Launch Advanced Steering Technology to Help Make Vehicles Easier to Maneuver, More Fun to Drive

– Ford's Adaptive Steering – a new generation of steering technology – will be available within 12 months

– New technology improves steering feel at all speeds, making any vehicle easier to maneuver and more enjoyable to drive

– Housed entirely within the steering wheel, Ford's newest steering technology is a smart solution that will benefit drivers in all driving conditions

DEARBORN, Mich., May 29, 2014 – Ford Motor Company is bringing to market a new generation of steering technology that will help make vehicles easier to maneuver at low speeds and in tight spaces. At higher speeds, the new technology will help make the vehicle more agile and fun to drive.

"First and foremost, all Ford Motor Company products have to offer a great driving experience," said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. "This new steering technology can make any vehicle easier to maneuver and more fun to drive."

Adaptive steering changes the ratio between the driver's actions at the steering wheel – the number of turns – and how much the front wheels turn. In traditional vehicles, this is a fixed steering ratio. With Ford's new Adaptive Steering, the steering ratio continually changes with vehicle speed, optimizing the steering response in all conditions.

At lower speeds, such as when pulling into a parking space or maneuvering in tight quarters, the new system makes the vehicle more agile and easier to turn, as it dials more steering into the road wheel. Each low-speed maneuver requires less turning of the steering wheel.

At highway speeds, the system further optimizes steering response, enabling the vehicle to react more smoothly and precisely to driver input. Adaptive steering can help the driver feel more comfortable and can make any drive more enjoyable.

Ford's system uses a precision-controlled actuator placed inside the steering wheel, and requires no change to a vehicle's traditional steering system. The actuator – an electric motor and gearing system – can essentially add to or subtract from a driver's steering inputs. The result is a better driving experience at all speeds, regardless of vehicle size or class.

Adaptive Steering will be available on select vehicles beginning next year. The system was developed for production by Ford in collaboration with Takata, a leading supplier of automotive steering and safety systems and a Ford Aligned Business Framework partner.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/29/f...ng-test-video/
Old 05-29-14, 12:01 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or, people could just drive for themselves. Not sure what real benefit this has over the traditional variable rate steering. I hate the idea as the driver, of steering input = not always expected output. But I am getting old and complain allot.
Old 05-29-14, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Or, people could just drive for themselves. Not sure what real benefit this has over the traditional variable rate steering. I hate the idea as the driver, of steering input = not always expected output. But I am getting old and complain allot.
This has nothing to do with people, automakers are dropping traditional hydraulic set-ups for EPS. At least the benefit of VGRS from Lexus and other adaptive steering systems like this Ford one is that it gives a little feeling back to the driver.
Old 05-29-14, 04:27 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

I think you may have misunderstood my point. I am fine with variable rate steering if hydraulic or electric. It is the fact that they are adding all of these "adaptive" features which I personally believe do not add to the driving expereince. Truthfully I would gladly give up a 10th of a mpg to have hydraulic steering back, at least on performance based cars. All of the cars I have driven with electric steering feel more removed from the road. My Ram has Electric Steering, and on a truck, well who cares, not much road feel on 34"+ tires anyway, same with econoboxes, but not sure the point of it on performance cars. Of course I am probably missing something.
Old 05-29-14, 04:58 PM
Hoovey689

I understood your point based on what you initially wrote, which the first sentence reads as if the problem is people. This post is more detailed and not as misinterpreted. I agree that I could give up a 10th mpg for hydraulic steering again. The problem though rests with the government which has forced automakers hands all in the name of safety and fuel efficiency. Coupled with societies demand for sex appeal and technology really dilutes the purity of the Automobile. Case in point this goes further than just Hydraulic vs EPS (lighter and more efficient is their primary reasoning). Higher belt lines, lower greenhouses and smaller windows have created huge blindspots (on some admittedly good looking vehicles). Once easy to turn your head is near impossible now which is why more technology has been introduced. Blindspot Monitor, rear view cameras, cross traffic alert. Seemingly to fix a problem they create a problem, people rely too heavily on them and forget how to 'Drive'.

For what it's worth some adaptive features such as Driver Mode Select on a number of Lexus's really do give the car different personalities. On a GS for instance, Eco, Normal, Sport and Sport+ give a range of throttle response, steering response and suspension dampening. Lexus did a great job with this and you can definitel feel the difference. My only gripe is there is no 'Comfort' mode like there is on the GX, LX and LS (which are all air). Of course you have an IS F so you have the 'Sport' button, you know what I'm talking about, from Jekyll to Hyde in no time flat

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-29-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 05:07 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Of course you have an IS F so you have the 'Sport' button, you know what I'm talking about, from Jekyll to Hyde in no time flat
Yes but really the IS F only needs two modes, "sport" and "snow", no real reason for "normal" mode. You buy an IS 250 if you want "normal" mode.
Old 05-29-14, 05:10 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Your points above are why I am building my protouring Falcon. It would have been far easier, and cheaper, to buy a current mustang or camaro. Truthfully it probably would have been faster/quicker, but faster does not always mean better feedback and thus more fun.

I get the technology and where cars are headed in general, I just don't like the direction nor prefer many of the "new and improved" features.

And BTW, many times "people" are the problem, this is a general statement not only applicable to cars.
Old 05-29-14, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Truthfully I would gladly give up a 10th of a mpg to have hydraulic steering back, at least on performance based cars. All of the cars I have driven with electric steering feel more removed from the road.
As far as for the superb BMW hydraulic power-units before they converted to EPS, I'd agree with you....they are worth a lot mote than a tiny marginal increase in MPG.

But keep in mind that not all hydraulic units had the same superb tactile-feel of the BMWs. BMW units (and, to an extent, Porsche units) were simply in a class by themselves. And, like it or not, electric power steering does have many other advantages compared to hydraulic. It is mechanically simple. There is no hydraulic fluid to leak out or become contaminated and need changing, no seals or hoses to leak, crack, or need replacing, no pump or pulleys to wear out, no belts to wear or replace, and no creaking/squeaking noises from the belts or pulleys.
Old 05-29-14, 08:10 PM
Hoovey689

Yes but really the IS F only needs two modes, "sport" and "snow", no real reason for "normal" mode. You buy an IS 250 if you want "normal" mode.
Actually I have a 60 year old guest who drives an IS F. She never uses 'Sport' but doesn't want to give up a V8

Your points above are why I am building my protouring Falcon. It would have been far easier, and cheaper, to buy a current mustang or camaro. Truthfully it probably would have been faster/quicker, but faster does not always mean better feedback and thus more fun.

I get the technology and where cars are headed in general, I just don't like the direction nor prefer many of the "new and improved" features.

And BTW, many times "people" are the problem, this is a general statement not only applicable to cars.
Commendable and nostalgic. I'm sure it'll do the spirit of Automobiling proud

Well people created cars, created problems, so yes people are the problem
Old 05-30-14, 04:38 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Actually I have a 60 year old guest who drives an IS F. She never uses 'Sport' but doesn't want to give up a V8
Sounds like granny needs to kick it up a notch. Tell her to hit the sport button. Will make her feel 20 years younger.