Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Automobile Magazine Fires Jean Jennings

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 06:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
One by one.... It was sadly very apparant to me during SEMA this past year many still don't grasp social media. Paying 6 grand for a one page ad that someone just ignores or flicks past is no longer attractive nor effective.
distributing colored ink on dead trees thousands of miles is expensive.

Originally Posted by chikoo
umm Folks...Automobile magazine is not dead. Just the Ann Arbor offices and employees are gone.
it's only a matter of time.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A sign of the times though.
yup, news must be immediate, not yesterday's news. opinions/editorials can go on blogs/social media. magazines are pointless in today's world. of course millions disagree with my point of view, and buy them still. a magazine is still easier to reach on the beach than an ipad though, but for how long?

i wonder why environmentalists don't make more of a stink about newspapers and magazines.
Old 05-29-14, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I used to read AUTOMOBILE magazine myself every month....even back when Jean's last name was Lindamood, before she got married. It was a refreshing change from the nonsense (IMO) that Brock Yates used to write when he was at C&D.....though the rest of C&D's staff was pretty sharp.
Old 05-29-14, 07:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You got your finger on pulse of the automotive community, Mike.
Thanks, I share what I can and its nice some people here appreciate it.

Here are some details....

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2014...JnN4cg.twitter

Old 05-29-14, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
Thanks, I share what I can and its nice some people here appreciate it.

Here are some details....

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2014...JnN4cg.twitter
Interesting. According to that specific article you linked, what's left of the AUTOMOBILE magazine facilities may move into the same building as Motor Trend, though the two mags will actually stay separate for now..

In another article on the subject I read earlier today, (I didn't post or link it because I am wary of some of its credibilty) David E. Davis (who has been with several magazines) supposedly has butted heads with Jean a number of times over the years, and wanted to see her downfall, encouraging the magazine to fire her. Hard to tell it it is fact or gossip. In fact, ironically, before Jean got married and became Editor-in-Chief, she used to write a monthly column in the back of the magazine called "Vile Gossip" (you might remember it).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-29-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-29-14, 08:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In another article on the subject I read earlier today, (I didn't post or link it because I am wary of some of its credibly) David E. Davis (who has been with several magazines) supposedly has butted heads with Jean a number of times over the years, and wanted to see her downfall, encouraging the magazine to fire her. Hard to tell it it is fact or gossip. In fact, ironically, before Jean got married and became Editor-in-Chief, she used to write a monthly column in the back of the magazine called "Vile Gossip" (you might remember it).
DED was a bit of a nut. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...jennings-dead/
Old 05-29-14, 08:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

David E David passed away 2-3 years ago. He wax eulogized in a couple of the magazines.
Old 05-29-14, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I remember DED's passing. I never read much of his stuff, though....perhaps because I was just too busy reading other automotive publications (and, of course, doing my own reviews).